Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Small DIY USB DAC kits

OK, so here's the deal. I have a Audio GD NFB-5 DAC/headphone amp/pre that I am using with a tube amp right now for my 2 channel system.

The NFB's intended use was to be used with the mini-itx computer I build at work so I had a portable hi-fi rig. But I stumbled across something I very much want, a Yarland tube headphone amp.

But in order to use it I would need a DAC as its not a DAC/headphone amp combo like the NFB.

So I am hoping to find a small USB DAC of decent quality that I can find a way to put into my mini-itx computer build. I have a PCI-Express x 16 slot meant for a GPU that I am not using or planning on using so in theory I could use a computer soundcard, but I just think there has to be a decent kit out there that will be better. That and I know soundcards can introduce more noise into the system.

I am hoping to be able to keep the USB DAC all internal to the itx computer so I just have the two items on my desk rather than three. I planned to use a internal USB header so I can use a super short cord, but I am somewhat limited space wise in what I have to work with.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Here are some pics of how much space I have to work with:

Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Here are pics from just about 5 mins ago lol

I might not have enough room the more I look at it, so I might need to start looking at external DAC's lol...

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Drag**fly might be right up your alley.

what's up with the asterics in the messages? or is it just ** my system where I'm seeing some characters change to asteric after posting

Have you considered the ODAC from JDS Labs?
    USB Interface: Stello U2, Nuforce uDAC2 ║ DAC: Stello DA100 Signature, Keces DA-151 MK2
    Headamp: Darkvoice 336SE, Bottlehead Crack ║ Headphones: Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Amplifiers: PS Audio 200CX, DIY Class D Monoblocks ║ Speakers: Dayton RS621, Focal 807V, LSA1 Statement, Soliloquy 5.3
    Power: Yulong P18, Rotel RLC900, Cyberpower 1000VA PFC UPS

Quote Originally Posted by blairfrischx View Post
    Have you considered the ODAC from JDS Labs?
    Not really a fan. Had an O2 and it had issues and after having it looked at by a tech determined it would be my last product from him.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    Drag**fly might be right up your alley.
    Thought about that, but still not huge fan of 3.5mm to RCA connections. Would prefer straight RCA connectors.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I'd recommend the Meridian Explorer. I don't share your concern about the 3.5m adapter though, and I'm a cable guy
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I'd recommend the Meridian Explorer. I don't share your concern about the 3.5m adapter though, and I'm a cable guy
    Will have to look at it then, although the Dragonfly is a little bit smaller and more portable. I REALLY like the concept & simplicity of the Halide DAC but not the price lol....

I might just have to get the Yarland and deal with a 3.5mm to RCA connection from my computers internal soundcard until I find something....

My main goal was to find something I could put internal in the computer and not be super expensive. At the price of the dragonfly and explorer I could get a external DAC.

I have the feeling that might not be possible .
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 03-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information