Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default The inductor upgrade thread - sourcing and part numbers

So I know there's a bunch of threads related to upgrading inductors, but I also seem to recall them tending to be sub-threads within other, more general, upgrade threads. After spending the last couple hours digging through the results of a couple of searches, I decided to revert to my default lazy bastich self and just ask; what is the consensus on sourcing replacement/upgraded inductors for various Polks? In my case, I'm interested in inductors for my 2.3 TLs, but it might also be nice to collect this information into a single thread, since it does seem to be so spread out over the forum.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

It's a good idea. In our case Polk has lost the data on dcr values of the inductors on the Xovers of the 2.3TL's (I called them). The schematics list the AWG and mH but not the dcr.

The inductors would have to be removed and measured with the appropriate equipment. I can't remember what that is, but it's not something I own, and it's expensive. Taking the inductor to an electronics shop and having them do it is an option.

It's something I've thought about, but I don't know of any shops close by that would do this. I wouldn't want to send them off and have them get lost
    Last edited by drumminman; 03-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

What does the inductor do. Do they go bad? Will a different size improve performance?
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

Nevermind, I just looked it up on wiki and it's way over my head...but I have seen modified crossovers which included new inductory, maybe Vr3 and Darknight so those guys are way up the food chain in electrocutions of speakers and stuff. My hat is off to those who actually modify these wonderful speakers, and I know there are lots more of you guys doing it.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Yeah, I've already done nearly the full treatment on my 2.3s. All that's left is inductors, and maybe replacing the high frequency caps with Claritycap MR series instead of the ESAs I have in there now.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

In my case, SDA-2As, I left the Hi-Pass, and Low-Pass inductors as-is. I was interested in the "Full Complement Sub-Bass Drive" inductor, or simply put, the inductor that goes between SDA driver's negative terminal and the amps negative terminal on that side. I couldn't afford a 14 gauge air core, so I opted for an Erse Laminated Steel Inductor. The difference was dramatic to say the least. I doubt the Erse would be applicable to the larger SDAs though, since it's rated for 600 watts before saturation.
    Here's a direct link: http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/Su.../ESQ55-14-5600
    This applies to the SDA-2As, and CRS blade/blade, 3rd generation
    Last edited by westmassguy; 03-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I don't have any Stock crossover parts left in my 1.2tl's or CRS+'s as a matter of fact the only stock parts left on the speakers are the cabinets, drivers, and passives. LOL!!!

I highly recommend doing the inductors if you can do it.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...