Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Oppo 105 USB DAC - Anyone used it?

I'm looking long and hard at the 105 as an all-in-one since it offers absolutely everything I want in one package. One of the big draws is the USB input it offers. Has anyone had a chance to use this and compare to other offerings? Would I be better off just getting something like the 103 and a standalone DAC?

Also curious, does the 105 offer volume control?

TIA
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Both the 103 & 105 offer volume control.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The ESS Sabre ES9018 chip has digital volume control built into it and depends on if the manufacturer decides to implement it. Leroy says yes it has, so it do.

I use the digital volume on my DIY ES9018 DAC and the digital volume does not drop bits or harm resoluton, at all. I repeat, no harm in sonics using digital volume with the ES9018 chip, at all. AVS forum has an owners thread on the 105, might be worth browsing through it.
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 03-16-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I use the digital volume on my DIY ES9018 DAC and the digital volume does not drop bits or harm resoluton, at all. I repeat, no harm in sonics using digital vomue with the ES9018 chip, at all. AVS forum has an owners thread on the 105, might be worth browsing through it.
    Interesting Rich as I've been doing some reading up. What stage determines this...if you lose bits at a certain volume ? The volume control itself or how it's implemented ? I noticed that Sonos own volume control loses bits at lower volumes and when you turn up the volume is when everything becomes more clear. This may or may not be the case with many digital devices. Question to you Rich is how do we know which devices will lose bits and which won't ? What do we look for ?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Tony, it seems to be all in the bits and noise floor. Lower bit rate digital volume will affect sonics. The ESS Sabre has a full 32 bit digital volume control. All I know is digital attenuation does not harm the sonics in my ES9018 DAC. Here is the ESS Sabre take on it. I think it is a fair explanation of digital and analog volume control despite being written by the chip manufacturer.

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-v...me-control.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Interesting Rich as I've been doing some reading up. What stage determines this...if you lose bits at a certain volume ? The volume control itself or how it's implemented ? I noticed that Sonos own volume control loses bits at lower volumes and when you turn up the volume is when everything becomes more clear. This may or may not be the case with many digital devices. Question to you Rich is how do we know which devices will lose bits and which won't ? What do we look for ?
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 03-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I'm looking long and hard at the 105 as an all-in-one since it offers absolutely everything I want in one package. One of the big draws is the USB input it offers. Has anyone had a chance to use this and compare to other offerings? Would I be better off just getting something like the 103 and a standalone DAC?

Also curious, does the 105 offer volume control?

TIA
    I'm using my 105 right now as a DAC for the first time.Trying to burn all aspects in still but like all other Oppo's from the beginning it is a great product for the $$ IMHO.

Please let us know what you think of it after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    I'm using my 105 right now as a DAC for the first time.Trying to burn all aspects in still but like all other Oppo's from the beginning it is a great product for the $$ IMHO.

[QUOTE=DSkip;1895128]I'm looking long and hard at the 105 as an all-in-one since it offers absolutely everything I want in one package. One of the big draws is the USB input it offers. Has anyone had a chance to use this and compare to other offerings? Would I be better off just getting something like the 103 and a standalone DAC?

Dskip, good question! I have been considering the 105 for exactly the same reasons. My next set of questions I have is only concerning using the 105 as a DAC via USB with a laptop for both stored music and music streaming. I have been struggling with the options of the BDP-103+DAC vs the BDP-105. My questions about the USB on the 105 are:

1) Is the USB Asynchronous?
    2) Is it 24/96, 24/196, etc.?
    3) Are there any limitations in using the 105's DACs by an external device such as a computer vs using an outboard DAC?
    4) Has anyone compared computer audio with an external DAC vs the 105's DAC?
    5) There is a wave of newer DACs coming out with the capability to decode DSD like the Teac UD-501, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC, etc. Will using the 105's USB DAC allow it to decode DSD from a computer? If no, has anyone heard if there are any future firmware updates the will allow this?
    6) Is jitter control as good as most asynchronous DACs?

Thanks,

Devlon
    Bedroom: HK AVR 254, JBL Sub 10, 5 x Mirage Omnisats, Panasonic BD-60

Living Room: HK AVR 254, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony PS3 60gb, Wii, Xbox 360, Philips 52" LCD

Den: HK AVR 354, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, PS3 80gb, APC H15

Sherwood R-972, Harmony One

Thread Information