Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Little home theater speaker sizing question.

I am planning on building a 7.1 home theater using RC 65i for the front and back speakers, RC 60i's for the middle speakers, TL2 center, and either the PSW110 or the 505. My question has to do with Size of the speakers. I do not want to spend money on the larger 8in speakers if they are not needed. The room is 15 by 20. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about powering them with Onkyo txnr616 or 515. Also do I need to insulate the hollow wall bays?

Thanks

I'd suggest running a phantom center over the TL2. Either that, or flop down the cash for a CSi5 or CSiA6. If you still want smaller, I've got a black CSiA4 for sale. Email me if interested. For your sub options, PSW110 should be off the list. The 505 has a good reputation around here for HT purposes, so that might not be a bad option.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thank you I like the overall size of the PSW 110 but it seems under powered. I will look at the Phantom center too. I am not familiar with the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Nattles View Post
    I will look at the Phantom center too.
    LOL, it's not an actual speaker. It just means sending the center channel info to the left and right fronts.
    My humble setup...

...is no more.

Our family room is about 10 x 12 and I love our TL2 center. I can't stand a huge center speaker. I just had to tweak my settings a bit. I know you guys are audiophiles but our little room rocks! I have Sony towers for my L/R which will be changed eventually to some Polk towers and TL2s for my side surrounds. The rears are small Sony HTIB speakers which will be changed to another set of TL2s.

Problem is that his rom is more than twice the size of yours. That little center isn't going to offer anything a phantom center can't in a room that size.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by goofyGAguy View Post
    LOL, it's not an actual speaker. It just means sending the center channel info to the left and right fronts.
    I really wish I could say that I meant look into the Idea. But I found a C15 for a great price on Newegg. Now to find the other speakers.
    I noticed goofyGAguy you have a PSW110. I am trying to decide between 505 and 110. How do you like the sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Nattles View Post
    I noticed goofyGAguy you have a PSW110. I am trying to decide between 505 and 110. How do you like the sub?
    Well, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt, since the only sub I've ever owned besides the PSW110 was the sub that is part of Polk's RM6750 5.1 package (which is a great package for the money they can be found for these days, btw). So, I don't have much to compare it to. Having said that, I bought mine for $125 at the big blue & yellow place brand new, and for the money I paid I'm quite happy with it. Will it knock pictures off the wall? No way, but it's not made for that. In your size room though, I would vote for the 505, especially if most of your use will be movies and not music. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by goofyGAguy; 03-17-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    My humble setup...

...is no more.

Thread Information