Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Bryston BDP1 Digital File Player - number 2

I just unboxed and hooked up my new BDP1 to my two channel system, and moved the first BDP1 into the HT system. Now I can enjoy music in either room. For the HT system I had to buy a BNC to RCA cable since Bryston only provides two digital outputs; an AES balanced, and a BNC. That is my one complaint I have with this player. RCA SPDIF is by far the most common connection, but it is not supported. To add insult to injury, the Bryston BDA1 DAC has two RCA inputs! But, what the heck, everything is working fine now. I just need to find some other use for my MIT digital cable.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    That is my one complaint I have with this player. RCA SPDIF is by far the most common connection, but it is not supported.....I just need to find some other use for my MIT digital cable.
    Thats likely because BNC unlike RCA is a true 75 ohm connector as called for in the SPDIF spec.An impedance mismatch can cause reflections in the cable thus increased jitter.As for the MIT cable you could have also purchaed a simple RCA to BNC adaptor at your local rat shack.

I wish I had your audio budget.
    Last edited by FTGV; 03-16-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Thats likely because BNC unlike RCA is a true 75 ohm connector as called for in the SPDIF spec.An impedance mismatch can cause reflections in the cable thus increased jitter.
    Starting to see more BNC connectors. Used to be you just saw it mostly on gear that stayed overseas.
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 03-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

It would be nice to see it on every dac or digital source atleast as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    It would be nice to see it on every dac or digital source atleast as an option.
    At least then there would be more cable options from the manufacturers. RCA to BNC cables aren't common. I had this issue 4-5 years ago when I wanted to use my Wadia iTransport and Benchmark DAC1 at work. The basic Benchmark only had a BNC input and the Wadia was RCA out. In that case I bought a cheapo custom made cable from Bluejeans, but this time I bought Bryston's cable.

Ya gotta love our Canadian Gear..
    A friend if mine has a pr of a KEF 207/2 and running Bryston amps, he commented about the BDP1 he said Bryston should stick to what they know best Amps..
    He much prefers the JRiver system..
    That was his opinion, I would like to hear it though I've always liked Bryston, maybe it's in my budget, lol. Not..

Well, now that I listening to music again in the HT room, an old problem has resurfaced. While not apparent with classical, jazz is really causing the problem. The problem is I have a 57" CRT rear projection TV. It still works fine (1080i), so I can not rationalize replacing it. However, the top part is basically a 57" hollow plastic drum, and bass causes it to vibrate. Listening to music with the TV vibrating is not a pleasant experience, so I resurrected my old fix when I first encountered this issue. I have Home Depot adjustable shower curtain rods, two per side and three on top, wedged between the TV and walls/ceiling. This provides extra strength to the cabinet and greatly reduces the vibrations, but they do look like crap.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Bnc is better than rca. Too bad it doesn't have I2S out.

Humm,J River is a slick piece of software(I,m a user) but the BDP1 is a complete PC/software system optimized strictly for hi performance audio.I have read many glowing reports about it's sound quality.
    Last edited by FTGV; 03-17-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Just a follow up on this digital file player. I absolutely love it. I have so many CDs ripped to the drive now it is impossible to play all of them in my lifetime. Since I started ripping files in Apple Lossless for my iPod/Wadia music server, I have continued using it. On a 500GB hard drive with hundreds of CDs, I still have 318GB left. Since the BDP1 has 4 USB inputs, I can not imagine ever needing more storage.

I recently upgraded my DAC to the Bryston BDA2, and that has taken this music server to a higher plane. It is amazing how well these two work together. Of course, using a Shunyata digital cable, and Shunyata power cords helps this gear reach its full potential.

I made a suggestion to Bryston to create a new product that combines the BDP1 and the BDA2 into a single chassis. Basically, it would be like a CD player, but capable of holding thousands of CDs, and also play high-res files. By being in one chassis I could save a couple thousand dollars by not having to buy a digital IC, and second power cord. Plus, it should cost a bit less than two standalone products. With a digital output then an external DAC could be added 4-5 years later if a better DAC is developed.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 05-04-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

By being in one chassis I could save a couple thousand dollars by not having to buy a digital IC, and second power cord.
    We must not shop in the same places...yikes.....like Rodeo Dr vs Baltic Ave
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    We must not shop in the same places...yikes.....like Rodeo Dr vs Baltic Ave
    The Cable Company. http://www.thecableco.com/

I made a decision a few years ago to get best I can afford at the time because once I retire there will be no more purchases. Of course, since I keep spending my retirement savings, I have to keep working to replace it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I am kinda starting to think la little along your lines Bluefox, I was pondering the idea of my next addition to the 2 ch rig but thought ' sh$t' I going to have to buy new cables that would cost as much as the component lol

PFB, I have become a true cable fanatic. Good cables, and clean power, will bring out so much musical information in gear that it is like a component upgrade. The BDA2 DAC was the first new piece of hardware I had bought in some time. Before I was just upgrading my cables and power, and being completely amazed at what I am hearing.

I have become a Bryston fan boy for digital, and a Shunyata fan boy for cables. I can not give either company enough praise for what they have done to my modest system.

I have a 57" CRT rear projection TV. ..and bass causes it to vibrate. Listening to music with the TV vibrating is not a pleasant experience, so I resurrected my old fix when I first encountered this issue. I have Home Depot adjustable shower curtain rods, two per side and three on top, wedged between the TV and walls/ceiling. This provides extra strength to the cabinet and greatly reduces the vibrations, but they do look like crap.
    Please post a pic of this fix! Sounds really ghetto. Gotta see it!

Quote Originally Posted by teekay0007 View Post
    Please post a pic of this fix! Sounds really ghetto. Gotta see it!
    Here you go. Post 20.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=Plastic+drum

The room looks better now. Not as much acoustic treatment, PSB Synchrony One towers now, better use of the audiophile acoustic vibration reduction rods, and a PSB Synchrony One center.

Open the TV up and clean the inside of the plastic shell and apply some damping material to it. No more rattle.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

Quote Originally Posted by Phasewolf View Post
    Open the TV up and clean the inside of the plastic shell and apply some damping material to it. No more rattle.
    I have to open it up and install a IEC connector so I can replace the hard-wired AC cord with a Shunyata power cable. What is dampening material and where do I get it? I will be surprised if that stops the vibration, but I will try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Starting to see more BNC connectors. Used to be you just saw it mostly on gear that stayed overseas.
    Also on commercial gear

I have to open it up and install a IEC connector so I can replace the hard-wired AC cord with a Shunyata power cable. What is dampening material and where do I get it? I will be surprised if that stops the vibration, but I will try it.
    Dynamat. It's design is to stop vibrations and dampen ringing. It also cuts down on external (road) noise when applied in vehicles.

What are you using for usb cords to link them badboys up

Thread Information