Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker wires....should I purchase higher gauge??

I have an older entry level Onkyo HTIB and just upgraded to polk tsi300s and a CS20. Should I buy different speaker wire and use instead of what can with the Onkyo speakers??? Thank you.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 03-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Yes !!! Get new wire.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

If you stick around here long enough you'll encounter one of our perennial flaming cable debates! But I'm pretty sure that even the skeptics would "agree" that a higher quality lower gauge copper wire will yield acoustic benefits! So yes, get rid of that cheap Onkyo cable and get some LOWER gauge cable. (At the very least, 14 gauge).

You mean "lower" gauge as 14 is thicker than 16 which is thicker than 18, etc.!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-08-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (31)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks guys I appreciate the help......

since you did not state the model of the Onkyo or say what type of speaker connectors it has. May have a defining approach on what guage of wire you will be able to use. If your Onkyo has banana plugs you are in great shape and size wil not be an issues, but if it has spring loaded or close cap type then you may be limited to 14-16 or higher.
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio speakers Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Optimus LX5 fronts & Rears Optimus CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

yes.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

If you want to get new wire for the Onkyo then your best bet is to buy the heavy gauge wire from mono price. I used the monprice wire with my onkyo and it was fantastic, I even did an A to B comparison with cheap panasonic htib type wire and the difference was astounding. The monoprice wire really opened the speaker wide up and it sounded soooooo much better than the other htib wire that was thinner than noodles

Rofl...I agree 100%. Upgrade your wire..

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    If you stick around here long enough you'll encounter one of our perennial flaming cable debates! But I'm pretty sure that even the skeptics would "agree" that a higher quality lower gauge copper wire will yield acoustic benefits! So yes, get rid of that cheap Onkyo cable and get some LOWER gauge cable. (At the very least, 14 gauge).

cnh

Definitely have a look at Blue Jeans, as Face suggests above.

Good cables at reasonable prices, and they will make them to fit for you.
    Family Room
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player, King Cobra XLRs
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

www.knukonceptz.com I like the !0 gauge good stuff 492 copper strands
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    HK avr 247 - Adcom GFA-7605 - Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner - Cs2 center channel - Monitor 60's fronts - Monitor 30's rears
    Mirage Bps 150i powered sub - 40"Samsung LCD ln40c530 - Sony Blu Ray Player BDP-S370 - Comcast digital hd box(motorola dcx3400)
    Monoprice Premium Interconnects Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI w/Redmere -Knukonceptz Kord 10 Gauge Speaker Wire - Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    Custom Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post

cnh
    +1. Also, Faces recommendation is a good place to start.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

My current receiver has the spring loaded, but will be upgrading receiver hopefully in the next couple of months

After using the same wire for speaker cables for a long time don't the copper wires get all clogged up with neutrinos that prevent the flow of electrons from the amp to the speakers?

I like to use 4/0 welding cable for my setup!

I just steal power lines. My room smells like bird poop and ozone!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

If you wanted a serious answer, check this out:
    http://www.webervst.com/gauge.htm

Put in your amp's rated power, the ohm rating of your speaker, the length of the cable run, and hit calculate. That will give you the minimum ideal cable gauge that you should use. Keep in mind that using a better gauge than that will increase damping factor (the amp's ability to bring the driver to a halt) at the speaker itself. You can see this effect here:
    http://www.bcae1.com/dampfact.htm
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Good suggestion.

Yes. I would get higher gauge cables

Hi guys I'm new to the home theatre game and this speaker gauge question gots me wondering about my own set up. I have a denon avr with polk speakers hooked up by 16 gauge rocket fish speaker wire, am I wrong by using this size and type of wire? I thought my set up sounded good but now u guys got me wondering if it can sound better with different wire. Any help is very much appreciated.

See the links in my post above. Whether you'll hear a difference, who knows? But you want to at least use the minimum gauge wire required to get ideal signal to your speakers.

knukonceptz has a flee bay store they have 8 gauge twisted tinned oxygen free copper 805 strands per conductor for $1.65 per foot plus $5 dollars shipping
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    HK avr 247 - Adcom GFA-7605 - Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner - Cs2 center channel - Monitor 60's fronts - Monitor 30's rears
    Mirage Bps 150i powered sub - 40"Samsung LCD ln40c530 - Sony Blu Ray Player BDP-S370 - Comcast digital hd box(motorola dcx3400)
    Monoprice Premium Interconnects Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI w/Redmere -Knukonceptz Kord 10 Gauge Speaker Wire - Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    Custom Jumpers

Just ordered some speaker cable from blue jeans for my fronts and center channel can't wait to hook them up. I'm curious to see if it makes a difference in sound

Thread Information