Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Large or Small?!

Im sure this has been talked about hundreds of times but I cant seem to understand the speakers large or small setting...If its large will it play louder and vice versa...Does it matter how big your actual speakers are and if so does it hurt if they are small sized and you set large...or also, does it mess with crossovers or phasing or other technical crap I know nothing about ha

my setup

avr: Denon 1913
    center: polk cs350ls
    sub: polk psw300
    main l/r: polk ls90
    rear surrounds: ls/fx
    Last edited by ScottyDugs; 03-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Large simply means the speaker receive low freq info, all of it. Low freq needs more power to drive those speakers. Also, in general, a smaller speaker has problems producing lower freq sounds than a larger speaker. So the powered sub was invented. Save money on full range speakers, and uses less power than if an AVR powered it

Hope this helps

so best to keep mains large and center and surrounds small to let my sub do the work?

No. Set them all to small and let your sub do what it was born to do.
    My humble setup...

...is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by goofyGAguy View Post
    No. Set them all to small and let your sub do what it was born to do.
    This

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Gonna have to disagree with you gents. The PSW 300 sub and the LS90's....I dunno man, the speakers can do some good bass on their own, maybe even better musically than that sub.

If your receiver allows you to set them to large + the sub, I would try it that way and crossover set fairly low around 40-50 ish so that the sub only hits the lowest of notes. I know standard fair is set to small and 80 for the crossover, but thats not written in stone and you have to play around a bit with the settings to see what works for your ears in your room.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you gents. The PSW 300 sub and the LS90's....I dunno man, the speakers can do some good bass on their own, maybe even better musically than that sub.

If your receiver allows you to set them to large + the sub, I would try it that way and crossover set fairly low around 40-50 ish so that the sub only hits the lowest of notes. I know standard fair is set to small and 80 for the crossover, but thats not written in stone and you have to play around a bit with the settings to see what works for your ears in your room.
    ^This^

Thanks I will try that later today...I will test both suggestions

...If your receiver allows you to set them to large + the sub, I would try it that way and crossover set fairly low around 40-50 ish so that the sub only hits the lowest of notes.
    My avr subwoofer mode setting says either LFE or LFE+Main...is this what you mean?...for setting LFE it says it plays low range and lfe signals of small channels and for LFE+Main it says it plays low range and lfe signals of all channels...which do I do for what you said, Tonyb? (I have my fronts set large and everything else small)
    Last edited by ScottyDugs; 03-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    My SETUP

AVR: Denon 1913
    Main L/R: Polk LS90's
    Center: Polk CS350LS
    Side Surrounds: Polk LS/FX's
    Rear Surrounds: Polk RT/FX's
    Subwoofer: Polk PSW300

100% Cinematic Adventures, 0% Music

+1. The easy way is to set it to small with crossover at 80. I would get used to the sound at this setting and then try Tony's suggestion for fine tuning and your preference in SQ.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

+1?...is that your way of saying LPE+Main?...
    My SETUP

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDugs View Post
    +1?...is that your way of saying LPE+Main?...
    Yes. But only your ears and room will tell you which setting you prefer. Pick a few songs and a couple of movie scenes (if your set-up is for HT and music) and listen to it both ways. Then decide which sounds better to you. If you like it, keep the setting. If it sounds good but you'd still like it a little better, keep tweaking the settings, speaker placement, etc.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

ok yea im 100% movies
    My SETUP

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDugs View Post
    ok yea im 100% movies
    I believe that will make it easier then if your only focusing on movies and not both. Good luck. Remeber these are only suggestions. Everyones systems, rooms, ears and preferences are different. You'll have to decide what setting you prefer.

Ok...it seems to be good like this...lfe+main, sub crossover at 80hz(lowest it will go), main large@60hz, center small@80hz, surrounds small@120hz...i know its personal preference but if you see a definite no-no with this setup let me know...thanks
    My SETUP

Thread Information