Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default can I slide the washing machine up the stairs

I am working solo. The side of the unit is smooth to slide up the carpeted stairs. Unlike a fridge, this one has no cimoressir so it shoukd be ok. Just worried about misalignment. ...

Correction: compressor.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Uhhh, duct tape the tub in a centered position so that it can't flop around. Failure to prevent that can cause leaks in the tub/shaft seals.

Was gonna do that or wedge it with towels but I figured, it has a room to play like that so the engr should have factored in. Oh well, got a 5yr plan to see this junk last.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Heavy duty hand truck and straps.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Wouldn't it be easier to just throw the laundry down the stairs ?

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just throw the laundry down the stairs ? Just sayin'
    Oh ..... that was good. In fact, that was AWESOME

Go rent a hand truck designed to haul appliances. They will have a track system on the rear designed for going up steps. If your local Home Depot has a rental department, I think I've seen them there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Harper-80...6781/202259411

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Just slide it up the stairs, like you said. It will be A OK. Way easier to push it up than to pull it up anyways.
    Just dont fall down

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I don't know about the stability of what's inside, but as far as getting something like that up a flight of steps let me relate a story.

A couple of decades ago, my friend was moving into a new apartment and we were trying to get a refrigerator up one flight of steps. So we tried to use an incline and slide it up quite a few steps. We got half way and failed! It was summer and we were drinking like fish, sitting in the middle of the staircase, when the guy downstairs, who had been in the "moving" business, weighed, maybe 145 lbs dripping wet (much lighter and smaller than "any" of us) and his 110 lbs wife got the unit up in a matter of seconds?

He took a rope and ran it around the bottom of the fridge about 4" in from the back (the front was face up). He then tied each end of that rope around one of his hands (L/R). and had his "tiny" wife balance the fridge on the rope over its bottom while he pulled on it from above with his hands. Once it was "balanced" in mid-air. His wife kept her hands on the bottom (kind of leaning on it with her body) and he pulled it up one step at a time. The several hundred pound piece looked like it weighed almost nothing as he backed his way up the steps without stopping even once!

And that is how three men whose total weight was almost 700 pounds were embarrassed by a team that weighed less than 260? It also proved that you don't need a bundle of college degrees to come up with a practical solution to a problem. That is something I will "always" remember.

I'd say get "anybody" on the bottom, and with you at the top--you're up the steps in 30 seconds or less!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Thread Information