Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp buying help

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Amp buying help

Now that I have my new RTIA7`s, I will be shopping for an amp. I am a complete noob in this area. I do have a Pioneer Elite VSX-01 w/ pre outs. I quess my hope is that someone can explain how to go about buying a used amp. I will have a budget of about $250 at the top end. I have had some luck going to estate sales where the seller does not know that much about the equipment. If anyone feels like treating me like I know nothing and assist me w/ my amp search, I would be oh so happy. I was going to look into the FS section here, but I do not have enough posts to go look at what is available.

My system is the mentioned AVR and RTi`s w/ Klipsch quintet synergy surrounds. 60/40 movie/music. When I listen to music, it is usually 2.1 unless it is live, then I will go 5.1. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hello Mtnpolk,its hard to give advice on whats best for you.We all hear differently,I was in the same boat as you not to long ago.
    You can start by going to some of the alternative sites that have amps for sale since you cant see our for sale section yet.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...he-Master-List

The best thing would be to read any and all information on amps.There is a lot of good info here also if you do a search,Im sure others will chime in and give there advice too.If you have a local hifi shop to go to listen to as many amps as possible.
    I hope this helps.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatdogs View Post
    Hello Mtnpolk,its hard to give advice on whats best for you.We all hear differently,I was in the same boat as you not to long ago.
    You can start by going to some of the alternative sites that have amps for sale since you cant see our for sale section yet.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...he-Master-List

The best thing would be to read any and all information on amps.There is a lot of good info here also if you do a search,Im sure others will chime in and give there advice too.If you have a local hifi shop to go to listen to as many amps as possible.
    I hope this helps.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan! I will definitely be doing a ton of reading and research, but I have found that there is a ton of conflicting opinions. I live in a VERY remote place in Colorado, so visiting B&M joints is impossible. I`ll need to buy online.

Don't be in a big hurry, save up some more money, $250.00 isn't going to buy much. Just my opinion.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

^^^^ this

I was in the same boat, heck I still am. I would love an external amp to REALLY drive the speakers, but anything worth buying is going to cost you. Don't get me wrong there are some great lower watt amps out there, but if you want a real HT experience, I would suggest at least something that pushes 200w per channel; if it be a monoblock, 2ch, 3ch, or even a 5ch amp. If your looking for a good deal, and an amp with good power to push some speakers, you cant go wrong Emotiva. As a whole I think people appreciate the quality you get for the price
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Pioneer SC-37
    • Mains - Polk TSI500's
    • Center - Polk CS20
    • Surrounds - Infinity Flush In-Ceiling Mounted
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - Insignia 47" LCD
    • Projector - Epson 5020UB
    • Projector Screen - Monoprice 92" Motorized Matte White 1.0 Gain
    • Blu-ray - Ps3 80gig Fat
    • Gaming - Xbox360 12gig Fat w/HD DVD drive
    • Broadcast - DirecTV HD DVR HR24

I just got a text from a "friend of a friend" who is a high end installer in Vail, who said he has a "fairly nice Rotel Amp" that he could let go for maybe 300 cash. What are the questions that I would want to ask regarding this amp? Does Rotel even make any junk? The common friend is a good guy and he said I can probably get it cheaper as he got it free by taking it out of a HT and replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    Don't be in a big hurry, save up some more money, $250.00 isn't going to buy much. Just my opinion.
    agreed.

I am not having great luck with my Denon 2113

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnpolk View Post
    I just got a text from a "friend of a friend" who is a high end installer in Vail, who said he has a "fairly nice Rotel Amp" that he could let go for maybe 300 cash. What are the questions that I would want to ask regarding this amp? Does Rotel even make any junk? The common friend is a good guy and he said I can probably get it cheaper as he got it free by taking it out of a HT and replacing it.
    Rotel are ok, just get the model number to search it up!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

I am looking for an amp too and it seems that used is a great way to get you into a high quality amp cheaper..
    Sharp LC-80uq17u
    Denon 3808ci Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray Disc Player
    Monster HTS 3600
    Polk RTi-a7 (fronts)
    Polk CSi-a6 (Center)
    Polk TC-60i (Rear & Surround Rear)
    HSU Research VTF3-MK4 (Sub)
    Logitech Harmony 900 (Remote)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnpolk View Post
    Rotel makes terrific gear, and no they don't make junk. I had a cd, amp, & pre that got used pretty much daily that finally gave up the ghost at 18 yrs. But as was suggested, get the model number then go to Rotel's site and research the amp, like age, how many wpc it has at 8ohms etc. I personally wouldn't get a used peice of gear that is over 5 years old. While this gear is built to last for years, I'd rather it attain that age in MY possession and not someone elses.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 03-24-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I love my Parasound HCA-1500 so much that I'm inclined to suggest the HCA-1000. Intended for home theater as well as music. Pretty sure you can find them for $250-300 on ebay and elsewhere.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

Brand new HCA1500a Parasound at ebay now at $354. Still in the box.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Now that's a deal. Terrific amp. this is the amp that showed me what my speakers were truly capable of.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    Rotel are ok, just get the model number to search it up!
    At one point I had two Rotel RB981s that I got for a steal and hated them both. They were overly bright and fatiguing. I also had a vintage Hafler DH220 that was recently benchtested and it was anemic and bland. I got a UPA-200 from Emotiva and my HT has never sounded better. 2ch audio is also heavenly. Everything is livelier, with more bottom end, and I am addicted to the sound my SDAs put out now. Is there better out there? Yes. Did the UPA-200 allow me to get into quality separates without breaking the bank? Yes. There are some amazing deals on the Emotiva Lounge site for used Emo gear. Check it out.
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

there are 2 of those HCA 1500 NIB on the Bay right now from the same seller, both parked around $400 at the moment, but each have 6 days left. I doubt either will go for less than $550/600.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

edit... sorry, one is 3 days left, the other 6 days.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Hey Mtnpolk,

I cannot say that I've followed the entire thread . . . Have you considered Adcom 555II ? I'm feeling generous, and can part with my baby for $275 + ship . . .

I'm original owner, functions and looks great . . . Due to age 8 out of 10, zero issues. 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms . . 325 wpc into 4 ohms

Just a thought . . . I'm, in Motown, shipping might be $$ ($80 clams). Where are you?

Time to turn in,

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (17)

The Adcom Above is a Very Good amp.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Or you could always save up for a pair of these:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 9.59.36 PM.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  94.9 KB

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tub...plifiers-93908
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

I have a Adcom 585 driving My RTi12 and cannot be more happy. But not many around the Adcom 555II will be a good match for those 7's.

Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X