Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Default One song and your system...

If you were to have one song....only one song to show off the capabilities of your system, what would that song be?

I'm not looking for reference songs or perhaps your favorite song. Nothing that brings you back to the time when you were a teenager all smitten on the hot brunette that just so happened to be your age at the time that just moved in down the street. I'm not interested in your top shelf, "go to" recordings or something you own that is so rare and unobtainable that you feel it worthy to add to the thread and I'm not looking for a song that has been beaten to absolute death at audio shows worldwide.

I'm looking for that one song that if you had a chance to win 10 Million Dollars to provide the best your rig could do to show its performance capabilities, what would that one song be?

Then, if you care to elaborate on it, why? What about that song makes your rig shine or made you choose that song out of everything else out there?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Artist-Steely Dan
    Album-Aja
    Song-Black Cow

If you have a copy of Aja, Tell me how good that first track sounds on your System. I can only imagine it sounds fantastic. If you don't Have Aja get it. I think it's a must have in every music collection.

I have 4 or 5 copies/versions/formats of that album. Unfortunately, I have no speakers. Well, "technically" I do but right now they are gutted for the x-over upgrade/mods we are doing. If you don't mind me asking, what about that particular song makes your rig really shine?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Tool - 10,000 Days - 10,000 Days.

Nobody does it quite like Tool.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

She talks to angels-The Black Crows

Member Sales Rating: (17)

YES - 90125 - Leave It

Has a really cool SDA effect.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

First of all very difficult question to pick 1 song, would be easier 1 song per genre...

I recently purchased a new set of monitor speakers for my office rig and the song that stands out for me is Blind Melon -Mouthful of Cavities..
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

MTV Live version of "Rooster" by Alice-N-Chains! Breathtaking
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

The Cranberries Live on MTV performing Zombie, Unplugged and with Violins used on the Heavy Electric Guitar parts..
    I'll see if I can locate the video on the Tube..

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Mercy Street -Al Di Meola

This song has a lot going on with many different tones and passages. Christmas bells , rich lush chords with beautiful finger picking beauty. It really sets the pace for the Christmas season and can show off a system like no other. I find myself using this song for my system as well as all others.
    Last edited by mantis; 03-24-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Very good tune

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Donald Fagen-Kamakiriad
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    Artist-Steely Dan
    Album-Aja
    Song-Black Cow

If you have a copy of Aja, Tell me how good that first track sounds on your System. I can only imagine it sounds fantastic. If you don't Have Aja get it. I think it's a must have in every music collection.
    Same here. Black Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by vcwatkins View Post
    Same here. Black Cow.
    Awesome another Black Cow fan. You have good taste vcwatkins. treitz3 I guess the reason this song makes my system shine is, because the recording is fantastic, the wow factor starts right at the begining, the bass, keyboards, percusion, the horns Donalds Vocals, the interlude after the vocal break just takes me to places one heck of a ride. I have a lot of music, this one gets played the most, I cant wait to upgrade the SDA's, the effect is very prominent on this track.

BTW Donald Fagens, Kamakiriad is also an excellent choice.
    Last edited by gudnoyez; 03-24-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Artist: "Youngblood Brass Band"
    Album: "Center: level: Roar"
    Song: "Brooklyn"

Why?
    Its a brass band. Try to play a brass band on normal speakers and you will be met with distortion, fatigued ears, and just noise.
    B&W speakers have awesome control and precision over highs and mids, bass is excellent too. I would think if your system can handle this song/band at a high volume then you got your moneys worth. The recording of the album is nuts. These guys went out of there way to make a quality recording.
    I would suggest downloading the song off itunes just to get a taste before buying the album on CD.

Speakers: CM9s
    Preamp and amp: Rotel stuff
    Interconnects: MIT AVT2

I have thought long and hard on this one and I came up with one song that definitely makes my rig shine in the most beautiful of ways. From John Williams, Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, "Olympic Fanfare". Had a audio buddy over the other week who normally does not ever listen to classical music and after about 4 hours of non-stop listening in the sweet spot, I asked him if was OK to play this particular track. He didn't say a thing throughout the entire performance and I glanced over at his arms and noticed that he looked like a plucked chicken, the goose bumps were so prominent. When it was over he said, and I quote, "Wow, normally I can't stand classical music but that experience made me want to go out and purchase lots of it". He had commented that it had sounded to him like the orchestra was coming out of nowhere in front of him and that there was no congestion of the instruments, even through the busy passages. In addition, he was stunned at how realistically well the chimes sounded while everything was going on and he was particularly impressed with the sound when the tympani was struck.

I didn't think something classical would be my "one song" but this particular one makes my rig sound priceless.

Tom

MMMM....I'm not sure you could pic just 1 song, which does come down to personal taste. Plus if you have SDA's... you might want to just pick a song that shows the SDA "effect" more. Or more to the point, what other speakers can NOT do...LOL

I have the Aja album, A great album indeed, but black cow for some reason does not jump out at me as the "best" to show off SDA's. But i will for sure go back down and listen again to it..LOL

What does come to mind is Electric Ladyland..now what song is another problem. There are a few songs on there that other speakers just can not match, just do to the SDA "effect" But 1 song Does not seem fair, maybe 1 song per type of music or 1 over all "best" album....

Oh you dont need SDA's to enjoy Black Cow or the album Aja for that matter, I think they sound great on AR58's or AR18's those have been pushing the sweet sounds of Aja for over 31 years, not to mention I'am listening to it at this very moment on the Ht rig sounds pretty sweet on the RTI'A5's and A3's. I think that particular tune and album sound good on just about every system I have heard it on.

Thanks, RamZet. I went ahead and ordered the one album you referenced. Looking forward to checking it out.

Tom

Member Sales Rating: (13)

"December Skies" by Cowboy Junkies on Early 21st Century Blues

This whole cd is recording exceptionally well. One of the most open with a huge sound stage songs in my collection. The kick drums are palpable and sound very real. The cymbals have this nice shimmer/sparkle. The electric bass has this incredible drive and sounds deep.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Grandma got run over by a Reindeer........you can hear and feel the skid marks.

If I were forced to pick one song, it would be "Bird" by Dead Can Dance, on the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACD remaster of Into The Labyrinth.

Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Aja is a great album for sure, but I think "Two Against Nature" is recorded better. Try the tracks "Gaslighting Abbie" and "Almost Gothic". That album is just more dynamic and cleaner to my ears. Both albums won Grammys for best engineered album of the year, so I guess you can't go wrong!
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Love Two Against Nature, the band that me and the wife see eye to eye on is the Dan, her favorite is Royal Scam. I remember we both we got 2 Against Nature the day it came out after about the 3rd play our daughter came home to find me and the wife dancing around the living room and singing to Gas lighting Abbie she thought we were crazy!

I can go with Steely Dan, but my track would be Gaucho. the sax sections really make my RTiA7`s shine!

The other choice would be Dire Straits, Wild West end on Live at the BBC.

Default one song

Head East - Never Been Any Reason . The drums , guitar and moog work are incredible . Sounds great cranked on my Monitor 75T's !!!

Dark Side of the Moon side 1. Isnt that one long song? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Grandma got run over by a Reindeer........you can hear and feel the skid marks.
    Now that's funny!

Member Sales Rating: (2)

only one, eh? I think it would be Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep from her album The Hunter.

I have lots of "second choices", though...
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Agree
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Thread Information