Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Tube question for Dodd phono and preamp

I'll be getting a battery phono stage and also a preamp from Gary Dodd. The phono stage uses four 6DJ8-family tubes. I currently have a Dodd ELP preamp with two 1950's Amperex Holland Bugle Boy D getters that I'll put in the new phono stage, and I recently got another pair of Amperex D getters, so hopefully I'm set for the phono stage tubes. My question is: the preamp uses one tube, anybody have any thoughts on what would be a good combination to use with the Amperex tubes I'm planning to use in the phono stage? Should I stick with an Amperex? Would another single D getter be a good way to go, or what about a 6922 Amperex gold pin? Would a comparably-priced TFK be compatible to the BB's I'm using in the phono stage, and if so, which one would be recommended? Any other ideas what single tube would jive well with the BB's in the phono stage? I'm using a solid state S.A.E. amp. I'm pretty new to tubes so I appreciate any suggestions.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Are you getting his preamp, or his tube buffer preamp?

If it's the single tube buffer, you can use the following tubes in it among others: 6922, 6DJ8, 6H30, 6N1P, 7308, CCa, PCC88, 6H23, CV2492, PCC88, 7DJ8, E188CC.

Zingo, its a tube preamp with selectable gain, not the tube buffer which I understand has no gain. If I went to a 6H30 for the tube preamp, do you have any suggestions?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    Zingo, its a tube preamp with selectable gain, not the tube buffer which I understand has no gain. If I went to a 6H30 for the tube preamp, do you have any suggestions?
    I use these: http://www.partsconnexion.com/NOS-68615.html
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Face: I appreciate the advice.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

They call it tube rolling for a reason. No right or wrong, really. Just whatever combo floats your boat. That's part of the fun of tubes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    Any of the above tubes should still work, and there are great tubes in all price ranges. the 6H30 seems to be well made at any price point as there were very few manufacturers. Even the $30 version should give you a good idea of the sound of the tube, and how it differs from the 6DJ8 variants. You probably can't go wrong with the EH version if you want to try the tube.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I have the same Dodd pre with adjustable gain and I use the NOS Reflektor 6H30P-DR "super" tube. After some tube rolling I settled on this tube. This should certainly be one of the tubes you should try if you plan on tube rolling.

Thanks much, fellas. usp1, nice to hear about the tube you settled on, will check it out for sure.

Thread Information