Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Netflix Blu-ray selection - how to browse

So I have a blu-ray player showing up tomorrow and I'm thinking about upgrading my netflix to include blu-ray rentals instead of just streaming. Does anyone know how I can search for what titles are available before signing up officially? I'm hoping they have a big selection, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Back to the Future are a few I'd like to check out first.

I went to the main netflix site but the only option I see for blu-ray says "browse selection" but then just shows one page of titles, no search option or anything.
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

If you go to the movies you are interested in and look at formats: it will give you the formats it's available in. Looks like the Star Wars movies at least are available on blu-ray. You don't get to look specifically for blu-ray until it's on your account though.

I'll check that out, I didn't really see any way to search for anything unless I logged in and then the search only was available for streaming content.

Netflix has just about every movie on Blu-Ray. It's their streaming selection that sucks!
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Hmm, well if that's the case I may have to subscribe to more than just streaming. My other concern is some Blu-ray rental titles seem to cut the HD audio tracks and leave you with a watered down DD 5.1 soundtrack... sorta defeats the purpose of Blu-ray.
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

Quote Originally Posted by ambiophonics View Post
    I'll check that out, I didn't really see any way to search for anything unless I logged in and then the search only was available for streaming content.
    The search field in the upper right will search anything that is available to you.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

If you only have streaming, then that's all you will be able to search for. I have the 1 dvd at a time plan, so I can look for dvds. I don't have the bluray option. If it's a movie I want to see on bluray I'll probably buy it instead. :)

I went through the same exercise a few weeks ago. After watching BD's, I'm not interested in watching a DVD, but the price is higher. What to do?

Here's what I did: Sign up for the 30 day free trial for BD/DVD. Click on the 3-discs at once option (ALL options are free for 30 days - why not take 3?) If you don't 'need' three discs at once going forward you can change before the 30 days is up.

I can tell you that I went through pretty much everything that was available on BD that I wanted to see within the 30 days. Now, I buy a few BDs used each month from a nearby used disc store, and can rent BDs from a local grocery store, so I've seen/own much of what is currently available on BD.

I decided to cancel BD/DVD and stay with streaming, but you might not. I can tell you that the selection was OK, but not exceptional. I WAS able to get most discs in my queue immediately, with no waiting. All in all, not a bad deal for the extra $$$.
    My DIY HT
    RT3000p fronts
    CS1000p center
    F/X1000 side surrounds
    RT3000p sats rear surrounds
    Polk RT35 height channel
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Onkyo PR-SC5507 Controller
    Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp
    Sherbourne TST4 100 x 2 Amp
    PS-3 BD
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo DV-980H for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT
    DVDO VP30 with SDI input
    HDFury for HDMI to RGBHV conversion
    NEC 10PG CRT projector
    Draper AT1200 acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers

Hmm, well if that's the case I may have to subscribe to more than just streaming. My other concern is some Blu-ray rental titles seem to cut the HD audio tracks and leave you with a watered down DD 5.1 soundtrack... sorta defeats the purpose of Blu-ray.
    This is why I typically rent DVD and buy Blu-Ray. In fact, I've dropped Netflix (discs) in favor of Redbox for that reason: if I really want to see something on BD, I just rent that instead of the DVD. Instead of paying more ALL the time, I can choose to do it on a disc-by-disc basis (which isn't very often).
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Netflix is free for the first 30days. If you don't find enough content you can cancel.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

i love netflix

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Is there a way to browse what's available in streaming while subscribing to dvd only?

Thread Information