Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Do I need a high end cd player?

So I am all set with my speakers. I have a pair of lsim speakers for front speakers and the 706c for center. Now I am thinking am I doing these speakers justice with 256kbs iTunes music or should I get a high end cd player. Will I notice a difference? I'm thinking about going with an emotiva erc2 player.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It all starts with the source, garbage in equals garbage out. That said, if you are using an AVR for music, it will limit the benefit of a better source. I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, while that CDP will sound better than your current source, it is not high end.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Default cd

I would, I use a higher end Marantz CD player. It sounds great. A good vinyl record on a good turntable sounds even better!!

If you aren't afraid of the used market, there are FAR better CDP options out there for far less money. And that's with first-hand experience with the Emo player. My current Pioneer Elite DV-47a plays DVD-A, CDs and SACDs and was picked up on Craigslist for $50.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Sheesh...they still make CD players? Get yourself a SONOS or Squeezebox & start enjoying your musical journey. And don't pay any attention about the AVR not delivering the goods. Hell those guys that believe that still use CD players, what the hell do they know.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Here's a Great one. It's the same one I have, Only 500 were made!

I'd hold out for one in better shape. Mine was 9/10, maybe 9.5/10 and I paid $1850!! :)

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-...-digital-94044
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Here's a Great one. It's the same one I have, Only 500 were made!

I'd hold out for one in better shape. Mine was 9/10, maybe 9.5/10 and I paid $1850!! :)

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-...-digital-94044

Nope not willing to pay that much. I think what I am going to do is just rip the cds using a high end encoder. then stream it through my AVR. I have an onkyo 3008. That should be good enough

Sure they still make CD players, but they put a big label 'Blue Ray Disc' on them to confuse audiophiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Sure they still make CD players, but they put a big label 'Blue Ray Disc' on them to confuse audiophiles.

LOL, Both my disc players play SACDs, Only one plays Blu-Ray.

Personally if I started right now I would never have set up this system:

I would set up 5 to 8 Zones of SONOS in my house and I wouldn't rip my CDs, I'd use rdio.com and/or my existing iTunes/iCloud match.

The cost it takes to create that room above for me is not cost effective (hopefully my wife does not see this! LOL) I just don't have the time to sit and enjoy SACDs and listen to my SDA effect.

I'm usually running around like a crazy loon and music all over the house works much better.

Currently I have 5 zones of SONOS, 2 Connects to connect to my Existing Stereo Systems, 2 PLAY5's to bring where I need music, 1 Connect Amp that I use in the living room with a small pair of Polks I had laying around.

When I first got the SONOS I started ripping all my CDs and then my wife said "Hey I have a rdio.com account, why don't you just use it instead of ripping CDs?" and you know what?, She was correct. Spooling from rdio.com for $10 a month is so much easier.

I only really need to rip the obscure CDs that they don't have, And Led Zepplin, They don't have rights to LED ZEPPLIN!!!!
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

Robert,

I assume you have a TV since you say you have a center channel speaker.

What DVD/BR player do you use?

I'd get an OPPO; http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

Plays DVDs, BR & SACD. I have one, it's a Great Player!!!

Sal

Quote Originally Posted by robert0507 View Post
    So I am all set with my speakers. I have a pair of lsim speakers for front speakers and the 706c for center. Now I am thinking am I doing these speakers justice with 256kbs iTunes music or should I get a high end cd player. Will I notice a difference? I'm thinking about going with an emotiva erc2 player.

LOL, Both my disc players play SACDs, Only one plays Blu-Ray.

Personally if I started right now I would never have set up this system:

I would set up 5 to 8 Zones of SONOS in my house and I wouldn't rip my CDs, I'd use rdio.com and/or my existing iTunes/iCloud match.

The cost it takes to create that room above for me is not cost effective (hopefully my wife does not see this! LOL) I just don't have the time to sit and enjoy SACDs and listen to my SDA effect.

I'm usually running around like a crazy loon and music all over the house works much better.

Currently I have 5 zones of SONOS, 2 Connects to connect to my Existing Stereo Systems, 2 PLAY5's to bring where I need music, 1 Connect Amp that I use in the living room with a small pair of Polks I had laying around.

When I first got the SONOS I started ripping all my CDs and then my wife said "Hey I have a rdio.com account, why don't you just use it instead of ripping CDs?" and you know what?, She was correct. Spooling from rdio.com for $10 a month is so much easier.

I only really need to rip the obscure CDs that they don't have, And Led Zepplin, They don't have rights to LED ZEPPLIN!!!!

Damn now that's a setup....my wife is going to HATE YOU...LOL...TIME TO HIT UP AUDIOGON!!!

ok ok must put credit card away..must put cred....noooo.....lol

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Actually, that Emotiva is supposed to be a decent player. Yeah, it's not High End but it's OK. I find Onkyos, and I own one (maybe not a 300X but the old 805 is sonically, believe it or not, at least in two channel, not that far from the much more expensive 3008!), to be a little BRIGHT on the top end regardless of what CDP you use? So F1nut has a good point.

When I do two channel for critical listening, I almost always run the Jolida tube products below. The CDP is very nice, with good tubes it will rival units at twice its price and it's NOT cheap at over 1.3K MSRP. Excluding "tube" upgrades, that is!

At this point, I have too much invested in "tube" equipment to abandon the CD format and SONOS myself DAC-NAM style into the 21st century. And I'm not sure that would "sound" better, in any case! I've heard some very nice DACs in that 1K-1.5K range and I still prefer my CDP to them, more "warmth", more musical!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-28-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Sal, what's the sound quality like on rdio.com ? I couldn't find any technical info.

Thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robert0507 View Post
    Do I need a high end cd player?
    No.

320 kbps mp3's or lossless WAV will be just fine. Instead of getting a high-end CD player, I would invest on a nice set of power cables for your amp (receiver) since you're running passive.

cheezie

why power cables

I am looking to pickup a outlaw audio mono amp model 200m. its 200 watts. If I can score three of these I will use them for the LCR. Anyone has an opinion on these?

I have an outlaw and I like it.

Cheezy, leave people alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    No.

320 kbps mp3's or lossless WAV will be just fine. Instead of getting a high-end CD player, I would invest on a nice set of power cables for your amp (receiver) since you're running passive.

cheezie
    Worst advice ever, ignore him he sells 50k power cables.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (14)

No.

cheezie
    Seriously? The guy is looking to improve his sound and you're telling him that his best bet is to play lossy music with expensive power cables? Go away troll.

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    Worst advice ever, ignore him he sells 50k power cables.
    +1
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

cheezie
    Rare is the occasion that anyone should take advice from someone who misspells their own screen name when signing off.

robert, Oppo is kind of the default for an all-in-one solution right now. You could look at a new 103, or go a few years back and get an 83-SE. There are two right now on the 'gon for roughly $450. The difference is in the DAC. If you just want a standalone CDP at a few bills, you might look into the Rotel RCD-1072. I've personally never heard one, but I have seen many people whose ears I respect promote this product.

An alternative route is to go computer-based and just get you a DAC w/ async USB. This option is what led me to the 105 being my next source. It's a universal player and damn near replaces your receiver. It has 2 HDMI inputs as well as an async USB input that utillizes the Sabre chip. Its likely out of your budget at $1200 though.

PS - your speakers will never shine on that Onkyo, especially for music. Just sayin.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    robert, Oppo is kind of the default for an all-in-one solution right now. You could look at a new 103, or go a few years back and get an 83-SE. There are two right now on the 'gon for roughly $450. The difference is in the DAC. If you just want a standalone CDP at a few bills, you might look into the Rotel RCD-1072. I've personally never heard one, but I have seen many people whose ears I respect promote this product.

An alternative route is to go computer-based and just get you a DAC w/ async USB. This option is what led me to the 105 being my next source. It's a universal player and damn near replaces your receiver. It has 2 HDMI inputs as well as an async USB input that utillizes the Sabre chip. Its likely out of your budget at $1200 though.

PS - your speakers will never shine on that Onkyo, especially for music. Just sayin.
    ok so do you think the oppo 103 would be worth it. Or can I go with an older oppo like the 83 and still have a decent "DAC"

How would that bypass my onkyo 3008 avr?....

I actually have my music coming from my pc via hdmi on my 680 gtx video card.

The 103 is a nice player and many people enjoy it. The 83 SE has the Sabre 32-bit DAC in it, whereas the 103/83 do not. They still have nice 24-bit chips in them though. I'd assume the 103 has more bells/whistles than the 83/83SE, but I don't really know as I've focused all my attention on the 105.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

yeah I am about to buy the 103. Now I need a second sub. I have hsu vtf ho with the turbo add on. I am thinking about adding the mbm mid bass sub to this for the 80 to 50 Hz range.

Thread Information