Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Need recommendation for desktop speakers.

I posted over in the Troubleshooting thread that I recieved a Topping TP30 amp for Christmas (one of the low power tripath-amps, this one includes it's own DAC). I had an old pair of S4 bookshelves in storage, and hooking them up, one of them crackles at low volume. I'm not sure if it's worth repairing, so I need advice on new speakers.

I'm going to use it strictly for listening to music from my laptop, playing lossless audio in my home office. They will be on my desk, about 6' apart, and under a hutch, although about 4" from the back corners. I'm not necessarily looking for a lot of volume, they are going to be background music 90% of the time (and the Topping only puts out around 15 watts anyway). The S4s were loud enough at 50%, but usually I have it set to around 25%. I listen to mostly 70's-80's punk and synthpop, but also a bit of smooth jazz and classical, depending on what I'm working on. I don't have a sub, and don't necessarily want one, but with this small of a setup, would it be necessary? I do play some games, but mostly strategy stuff--anything action oriented I usually put on headphones anyway.

I've got it narrowed down to the Polk Monitor 30s, or the 35Bs (what's the difference?), or Inifinity P163BK, although I've also read good things about Boston Acoustics. I don't have a store nearby that I'd be able to audition any of these speakers, and really, they wouldn't have this type of setup anyway. The S4s sound great (well, except for the one), although they don't quite put out enough bass at low volume. I'd like to have them shielded as well--they are far enough from my computer and drives that it probably doesn't matter, but if I rearrange things in the future, I'd like the ability to put them anywhere.

Any advice is appreciated, even if it's to repair the S4s, and then buy a small subwoofer. I've got a budget of a few hundred dollars...I'm not going to add another amp though--I got the Topping to use as a headphone amp, but after listening to it with speakers, I'm pretty happy not having anything in my ears. One more question: I figured with that low power amp, I should have the speakers on my desk--but should I look at putting them on the wall instead? I imagine I'd have to have some real sensitive speakers, the room is about 15'x25'...

Thanks,
    Dan

If you're going to add a sub, why not look at the TL3?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

2 things kept me from the TL series--lack of reviews at low volume (they seemed to be made more for HT than music), and price--a pair of them are going to be in the $300 range--newegg right now has Monitor 30s for $99. Although if they are that much better of a speaker, I'd like to read some reviews--do you have any links?

I don't, but I've heard them and many members here use them in that application. The TL3 is like a mini LSi and is a damn fine sounding speaker. The TL2 is nice as well, but its voiced more like the RTi series (I owned a 5.0 set of the TL2). The TL1 has its market, but they are well below the 2/3 in terms of build and sound quality.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I'll add them to my list to look at then, thanks!...I'll have to see if I can find them 2nd hand though to still hit budget and afford a sub.

HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

The Infinity 163's will be better than the Monitor 30's. I ran some of them against some Monitor 40's and prefered the Infinities. I ran both as desktop and surrounds and overall prefered the Infinities.

That said Polks TL speakers are pretty good too and are smaller and look better.

With all that said IMHO I would just look at a pair of POWERED studio monitors as they are MADE for nearfield listening. So for instance the Audio Engine A2 or A5's are not super expensive and will IMHO sound better.

But of the options you originally listed the Infinities will be the best bet.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

If you want to go cheap and have the room, you can't go wrong with the Andrew Jones Pioneer SB-SP22LRs.

Often on sale for less than a hundred and sound better than most speakers worth three times that.

Your Topping should be able to drive them fine. I've run some off a Lepai 2020A+ with no problems.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

To my knowledge, the Polks or the Infinity's aren't designed for very nearfield listening and I'm not sure how far you're actually sitting. Something to consider when making your purchase.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

I can't speak highly enough about Emotiva Airmotiv 4's. The folded ribbon transducer tweeter is freaking awesome. So non fatiguing but has all the sparkly detail. The mid bass is outstanding. They don't go low so if you're looking for that, you'll need the next size up. They have Airmotiv 5's and Airmotiv 6's. These absolutely crush the Audioengine desktop speakers in every way, and that is the opinion of just about everyone who has heard the two.

They're an incredible value at just $299 right now. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...ucts/airmotiv4

How about a pair of these :

Holy S better hurry stock may be limited!!

http://www.amazon.com/Fred-500XL-Des.../dp/B00170YRTW
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Here is the review I did of the TL3s.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...light=polk+TL3
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I have the Topping amp (30 or 31) and the TL's should match up just fine for your application.
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Thanks for the suggestions, those Pioneers seem like nice speakers. Newegg has a sale on the previous model, the sp-bs21lr for $59/pair...is there much difference between the sp-bs22lr and the sp-bs21lr? The reviews almost seem too good to be true on the Pioneers...but the TL3s that I've read reviews on seem to say they are an amazing speaker for what I'm looking for, especially when paired with a sub.

Oh, and I'm 3-4 feet from the speakers. I've got them on a pretty large desk. Does that change the recommendation?

Wharfedale - diamond 10.1

The Pioneers are that good, but I don't know if they would do well in near-field. They should work perfectly if you're not too picky like the majority of us here. I actually think you'd be quite happy with those Pioneers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-promedia-2-1-speaker-system-3-piece-black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232&ref=06&lo c=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9382232&extensionType= {adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matc htype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobi le:M}!{creative}&kpid=9382232&k_clickid=3ea3c3bb-e2c8-a589-6329-00001002277c

This sounds much better than the cost would indicate. Also, be careful of the Audioengine speakers - although they are excellent, they will audibly "pop" as they turn on and off if connected to a computer.
    "I can't be wrong." - F1Nut

Living room HT: 11.2 LSiM
    707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    706c center, 702 surrounds
    Onkyo 3010
    Dual Parasound Halo A51's
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Two 20 amp dedicated circuits
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I have the Polk TL3's as my desktop speakers, powered by a FiiO A1 integrated amp. They seem to work fine for the desktop and are fantastic speakers.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt300 View Post

This sounds much better than the cost would indicate. Also, be careful of the Audioengine speakers - although they are excellent, they will audibly "pop" as they turn on and off if connected to a computer.
    I personally have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set attached to my main desktop PC...small, yes, surprising, yes. Quite a good set up imho.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    I personally have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set attached to my main desktop PC...small, yes, surprising, yes. Quite a good set up imho.
    I had that setup and it was excellent IMHO.

IMO, there are several passive nearfield studio monitors to choose from. However, if you plan to use a home speaker, the KEF UniQ drivers work well for the task. The current Q100 would be nice but are twice your budget. Maybe check your local Craigslist, eBay, etc for deals on the previous gen. like the Q10, Q15, C35, iQ1, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...FS=0&_udhi=250

You could also return the Topping and combine that cash towards something like the Kef active speaker system w/dual class A/B amps for the tweeters and woofer as well as a 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC.
    http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/...l#.UsMMX9JDv_M

Review: http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf...nitor-speakers

Best Price: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...FahDMgodj2oAQQ
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (8)

The Pioneer's are very good but I have not used them for near field. I got them for $77 American Dollars.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Name:  2014-01-01 11.59.37-1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  282.3 KB

How about this for desktop.

Polk LSI9's
    Peachtree Preamp
    Peachtree 220
    iMac
    HT - Sony 52" Bravia - Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Emotiva XPA-5
    RTIa9 - CSIa6 - FIX3 - PSW505 - Mac Mini

Office
    LSI9 - Peachtree Preamp / 220
    iMac

^Very nice!
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I also have the Klipsch promedia 2.1. I love these things at this (2 1/2') distance.

Well, my choices just became moot...my wife just gave me a set of B&W M-1's for my birthday. She had it narrowed down to these or Martin Logan Motion 4's. She picked the B&Ws because the ML's specifically say they aren't shielded. I can't find anything in the literature if the M-1s are or not, I'll have to grab a compass and find out.

I guess her budget was greater than mine.

Dan

Thread Information