Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: oppo 103

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default oppo 103

    does anyone have an opinion on this blue ray player? I am thinking about picking one up

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I replaced my Samsung 3D player BD-D5500 with an Oppo 103 and I couldn't be happier with this change.

    The Oppo loads my blu-ray really fast, all features included with this player are top notch. If you are not 100% convinced, then buy itat Amazon and if it doesn't perform as you expected, you should be able to return it.

    But, I bet you will keep it!

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Well I have been trying to decide between it and and the Sony BD-S790.
    The Sony has a lot to offer at 1/2 the price.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, CA
    Posts
    372

    Default

    I have mine for almost 5 months and could not be happier. Many nice features and audio quality in stereo is good.
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

    Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Katy, TX (west Houston)
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Well I have been trying to decide between it and and the Sony BD-S790.
    The Sony has a lot to offer at 1/2 the price.
    If priced by the pound, the Sony would be less than 1/2...

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Well I have been trying to decide between it and and the Sony BD-S790.
    The Sony has a lot to offer at 1/2 the price.
    Sony doesn't sound good if music is what you're after.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenhaus View Post
    I have mine for almost 5 months and could not be happier. Many nice features and audio quality in stereo is good.
    +1 ^^^

    I have mine also 5 Months and It's a Great Unit. My wife even agrees!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default


  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default


  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default

    yeah when I get it I will spend some cash on sacds

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default

    where do you guys buy your high end music?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default

    do they have a good selection of jazz or Motown sacds

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    On buying the OPPO 103 for music. Does it need to be hooked up differently for music rather than movies? Like I said compared to the Sony I am only trying to justify the extra molah as it appears to be very good.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Sony doesn't sound good if music is what you're after.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, CA
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    On buying the OPPO 103 for music. Does it need to be hooked up differently for music rather than movies? Like I said compared to the Sony I am only trying to justify the extra molah as it appears to be very good.
    yes it needs to be, I have mine connected via HDMI to the Onkyo for HT and some music and via RCA out to a B&K pre-amp for music only. I Still need to try the digital out but I beleive that SACD and DVD-Audio wont work via the digital out.
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

    Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    It does not NEED to be hooked up differently for music. It can send music through its HDMI and it sounds great. But you can hook it up via RCA for music if you wanted. This is very handy if you want to play music through a separate 2ch Pre amp instead of an AVR.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

    2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, CA
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenhaus View Post
    yes it needs to be, I have mine connected via HDMI to the Onkyo for HT and some music and via RCA out to a B&K pre-amp for music only. I Still need to try the digital out but I beleive that SACD and DVD-Audio wont work via the digital out.
    Ohh do I have to correct this..yes it may work better using different connections. Like i said HDMI for HT and RCA outs to a pre-amp and a dedicated amp for music only. But still have not try the digital out to hear how they work........

    Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

    Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Could you try the digital out on SACD ?
    If it does work does it bypass the built in DAC and go direct to the preamp?

    I have mine also 5 Months and It's a Great Unit. My wife even agrees!!!

    Lucky you.
    My wife says why do you have to spend so much on a blu-ray player?
    She thinks the Sony is too much with so many going for $100 now


    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenhaus View Post
    yes it needs to be, I have mine connected via HDMI to the Onkyo for HT and some music and via RCA out to a B&K pre-amp for music only. I Still need to try the digital out but I beleive that SACD and DVD-Audio wont work via the digital out.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    My wife says why do you have to spend so much on a blu-ray player?
    She thinks the Sony is too much with so many going for $100 now
    There are SOOOOooooo many ways to turn this argument around.

    You're married....there must be a dozen that leap into my mind immediately!

    H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, CA
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Could you try the digital out on SACD ?
    If it does work does it bypass the built in DAC and go direct to the preamp?

    I have mine also 5 Months and It's a Great Unit. My wife even agrees!!!

    Lucky you.
    My wife says why do you have to spend so much on a blu-ray player?
    She thinks the Sony is too much with so many going for $100 now
    This is from the manual on the Oppo:

    "Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
    digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

    Well
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

    Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenhaus View Post
    This is from the manual on the Oppo:

    "Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
    digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

    Well

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Yea quite typical of the masses everyone wants it cheap and there is a lot of $100 blue-ray players but there is also a lot of $100 speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    There are SOOOOooooo many ways to turn this argument around.

    You're married....there must be a dozen that leap into my mind immediately!

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Some folks don't have alot of money to blow on hobbies. Most of us are lucky that way. There's a place for $100 speakers & blu ray players. I wouldn't be so quick to dump on "the masses". Or maybe I'm just in a touchy frame of mind & I'm reading something that wasn't intended.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,425

    Default

    I Bought a POS $85 BR player 3 years ago and we both hated it. It was a very good idea for me to buy the worst one I could find because when I told her about the great reviews the OPPO gets then it was an easy sell.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    I was referring to most people, rich or poor, that because of the things are marketed don't know the difference, and can't appreciate the quality. By that I mean most people buy what they see or hear about the most often.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    Some folks don't have alot of money to blow on hobbies. Most of us are lucky that way. There's a place for $100 speakers & blu ray players. I wouldn't be so quick to dump on "the masses". Or maybe I'm just in a touchy frame of mind & I'm reading something that wasn't intended.

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Oh so you bought a Samsung BD-E5700 too?
    There is a good place for those... it's called the 2nd room

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    I Bought a POS $85 BR player 3 years ago and we both hated it. It was a very good idea for me to buy the worst one I could find because when I told her about the great reviews the OPPO gets then it was an easy sell.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (45)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    4,637

    Default

    Anybody think the 103 picture quality could be better than the BDP-83? I noticed they use different processors.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
  2. Wanted Oppo 93
    By leroyjr1 in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
  3. Oppo bdp-95
    By snow in forum Electronics
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
  4. FYI OPPO BDP-83 Refurb direct from OPPO for $415
    By Lasareath in forum Electronics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts