Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    236

    Default My new speaker jig

    Having a machinist as a father has it perks . I told him what I wanted and this is what he came up with. It started life as a a solid 6in OD piece of aluminum. I realigned the frozen MW6500 that came out of the RTA with it the other night and it worked beautifully.


    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Makes my PVC coupler look like sh!t.

    Why is yours so tall? I cut my coupler in half to get rid of useless extra material. Do you actually need all those screws? I figure three to secure the tool, three to align the pole-piece.


  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I like the height because its gets the driver closer to me and I can see it better. The 6 smaller screws hold the driver in place while the 6 larger ones shift the magnet around. I went with six because I a previous jig I saw had six and my original PVC jig had six so its what I am used to. The larger screws are also fine thread where the smaller are course. It definitely over engineered but it works for me.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    I like them both but the Pvc one is one we can all do.
    I'm a Machinist / Cnc Programmer, 35 years, but the machines are always tied up and busy

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    That's a beauty
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer


    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    I like the height because its gets the driver closer to me and I can see it better. The 6 smaller screws hold the driver in place while the 6 larger ones shift the magnet around. I went with six because I a previous jig I saw had six and my original PVC jig had six so its what I am used to. The larger screws are also fine thread where the smaller are course. It definitely over engineered but it works for me.
    Nothing wrong with a pvc jig! Its not the size or material of the jig that matters, its being able to use it.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate S.C.
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Those look very nice, but too complicated to me for the job being done. I have used a piston ring compressor with shims for the top plate and back plate made from 1/3 circle PVC pieces. It self aligns the top and bottom plates and almost perfectly aligns the magnet as well . Not adjustments necessary. Semi snug it up on top plate, put some glue, slide in magnet, put some more glue and slide in the back plate (ok not just a simple slide at this point, but other than fighting the magnet not too bad) with a couple of shims, snug a little tighter to auto align the top and bottom plates and clamp lightly from front of basket to back of back plate to squeeze glue a little. Done, no adjustments necessary, only one screw to tighten the clamps. If I can locate my shims I'll set it up on a spare driver and take some pics.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
    Those look very nice, but too complicated to me for the job being done. I have used a piston ring compressor with shims for the top plate and back plate made from 1/3 circle PVC pieces. It self aligns the top and bottom plates and almost perfectly aligns the magnet as well . Not adjustments necessary. Semi snug it up on top plate, put some glue, slide in magnet, put some more glue and slide in the back plate (ok not just a simple slide at this point, but other than fighting the magnet not too bad) with a couple of shims, snug a little tighter to auto align the top and bottom plates and clamp lightly from front of basket to back of back plate to squeeze glue a little. Done, no adjustments necessary, only one screw to tighten the clamps. If I can locate my shims I'll set it up on a spare driver and take some pics.
    I would love to see it, the idea of auto align intrigues me.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate S.C.
    Posts
    646

    Default

    I looked for my shims last night but didn't find them. I'll look some more. I came up with the idea before reading about these types of jigs in the forums. I understand the concept of the jigs and yours looks super nice. My mind just seemed to simplify it in that basically all that is needed is to center the top plate (with its hole centered in it) with the back plate (with the pole piece already centered in it). This puts the pole piece in the center of the top plate hole creating and even gap all the way around. I realize this way may not be perfect if the voice coil is off center slightly but since the top plate is hard attached to the frames, if it is not then the voice coil will not be centered in the gap properly anyway. I simply cut the shims barely thicker than 1/2 the amount the magnet is wider than the top and bottom plates this puts half of the shim material total thickness all the way around the plates, this also pretty much centers the magnets as well. If I remember correctly I made these shims from ABS drain pipe (I could be mistaken as its been a while). Essentially 2 half circles the correct thickness and close in diameter. I cut a few grooves in them along the inside of the curve to increase their flexibility when clamping.
    Last edited by Mr. Bubbles; 04-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northern iowa
    Posts
    816

    Default

    does anyone need a 6510 to practice with? i have a frozen one that will more than likely just go into the trash.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    How long does it take on a cnc machine to do something like that?
    I'm asking as I have no idea of the time frame required I'm guessing a few hours?
    if so can't you do one after hours therefore not interfering with paying jobs?

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    I like them both but the Pvc one is one we can all do.
    I'm a Machinist / Cnc Programmer, 35 years, but the machines are always tied up and busy

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Don't trash it Steve someone will want it. Do you think it is still good, if the magnet is centered?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11tsteve View Post
    does anyone need a 6510 to practice with? i have a frozen one that will more than likely just go into the trash.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Big companies have big rules. If it was a solid piece of material ..face, drill, bore id, turn od, turnaround face to length and bevel id and od then the mill to drill and tap the od holes. 1st piece about 2 hours after that about .75 hour a piece.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    How long does it take on a cnc machine to do something like that?
    I'm asking as I have no idea of the time frame required I'm guessing a few hours?
    if so can't you do one after hours therefore not interfering with paying jobs?

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 11tsteve View Post
    does anyone need a 6510 to practice with? i have a frozen one that will more than likely just go into the trash.
    How much?

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northern iowa
    Posts
    816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Don't trash it Steve someone will want it. Do you think it is still good, if the magnet is centered?
    it was a working driver. I was trying to remove it, the gasket was sticky, I was trying to put pressure from behind, and it gave way quite suddenly. The speaker was lying on the floor, the driver popped out and it fell to the floor.... and was frozen. I was lucky to have one more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
    How much?
    whatever.... PM with zip and I will run shipping. if its nothing too bad, $10 to help ship? I just hate to see it go to waste if it can still help.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Very cool! I always tell my buddies that no matter what a person has for a hobby or interest it is always possible to spend a lot more money on it with the upgrades to gear, etc... I'd be willing to bet somewhere out there somebody's Granny is knitting with a set of titanium, super balanced $1000 custom knitting needles. All that said, I'm jealous. My PVC jig works, but it's not nearly as nice.

    Saftgeek-

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
  2. Need Help Cracked grill speaker cover for center channel speaker
    By politicaljules in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 05:22 AM
  4. speaker stand - top plate smaller than base of speaker?
    By djvaldez in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts