Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pepster

Default This makes my blood boil!

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/crud...ures-1C9155011

Happened Friday.

They are trying to keep it out of the surrounding lakes.
    These big oil companies should be charged by the gallon, a LARGE PENALTY, on top of paying for cleanup, IMHO.

Poor guy had his house up for sale (on the right).
    All homes have been evacuated.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Nasty!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Doesn't that pretty much TRASH your house "forever"? I was told (and we have a 275 gallon heating oil tank in our basement) that if that tank or the tube that feeds the furnace failed and my basement floor was flooded with oil that my house could be CONDEMNED! This isn't very likely if you do your "maintenance" but it does show you how VERY nasty Oil is!

21st century living on antiquated fossil fuels and all their wondrous "benefits" (I mean "profits", because that's what its all about, in the end).

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Its all good....a completely "free market" will find a solution and be able to regulate itself. Nothing to see here folks....

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Doesn't that pretty much TRASH your house "forever"? I was told (and we have a 275 gallon heating oil tank in our basement) that if that tank or the tube that feeds the furnace failed and my basement floor was flooded with oil that my house could be CONDEMNED! This isn't very likely if you do your "maintenance" but it does show you how VERY nasty Oil is!

21st century living on antiquated fossil fuels and all their wondrous "benefits" (I mean "profits", because that's what its all about, in the end).

cnh
    Seriously? Name one thing that has impacted the advancement of society more than oil. Name one thing that has anywhere near the same creative potential.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

The question I have, is the pipeline double-hulled. Accidents like this shows how right the Nebraska governor was to demand a re-route of the proposed Keystone pipeline away from the massive Ogalalla Aquifer.
    Staff Member TONEAudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio
    2 Channel System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    iBook w/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB harddrive
    Sim Audio Moon 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es-3 Speakers
    Magnepan 1.6 w/Skiing Ninja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Totem Rainmakers, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt cabling, Shunyata Venom power cords, Modified PS Audio Trio C-100 int. amp, Vista Audio Int. Tube, iPod 160 gig

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Seriously? Name one thing that has impacted the advancement of society more than oil. Name one thing that has anywhere near the same creative potential.
    The printing press.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The guy selling his house has just had his problem solved.

The oil pipeline company just bought it.

No biggie to the oil company. They just pay the fine and carry on. And adjust prices accordingly.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    The printing press.
    -Cody
    Would have to give the edge to oil since most of the inks used are petro based.

Electricity?

Beer.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

how about we let the oil company act to clean the mess and make the people affected whole (i.e. the houses that stuff touched) before we just say fine them out of existence. banktupting them isnt going to help.

we all use oil folks. the tech does NOT exist to realistically get rid of it, so cool your jets

the oil companies should pay through the nose to make those affected whole again. this is a local disaster that affects alot of lives, not an oppurtunity to have an energy policy debate
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

I'm more surprised that there is a oil pipeline running through a residential neighborhood. I disagree with that routing..

The video is just as disturbing to watch as when the ocean in the gulf was pissing oil. There should be safety switches that can be turned off when problems like this arise every few KM.

dude at 100+ for a barrel I'd of been out there filling some barrels.......free money running in the streets just don't see that very often.

just kidding I feel for you that is nasty stuff. Every wonder why Canada don't run a pipe to the west cost? It would be shorter than the one they want us to build. just watch the video and you will understand.....

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    I'm more surprised that there is a oil pipeline running through a residential neighborhood. I disagree with that routing..
    Chances are that a residential neighborhood was not there when that pipeline was built....

Member Sales Rating: (18)

The automobile.

Oh wait. ?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

What makes my blood boil are all these knee-jerk reactions to the little things around us and how quickly we are willing to surrender our liberties, freedoms and our way of life for a quick fix to a short term inconvenience. A nutjob with a gun shoots people and all of a sudden, legal owners that are law abiding are all treated like criminals. An oil line breaks and now I need to fork over more cash at the pump because some bureaucrat fells fining the company out of business is a good thing....

This is all just crap IMHO. What really pisses me off to no end is raising my taxes to obscene levels "for the children" and then letting a child molesting douchebag out of prison early because we have no money for the prison system. He the goes out and kidnaps a ten year old girl from her bed in the dark of night and rapes her. That my friends is a real reason to get the blood boiling... and the thirty round clips full, and the gas tanks filled with oil based gasoline.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 04-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by drselect View Post
    Would have to give the edge to oil since most of the inks used are petro based.
    Touche. However, a quick search says petrol-based ink has only been on the scene for about 50 years.
    http://1800recycling.com/2010/11/soy...cling-greener/

Either way, I'm certainly not against drilling or oil. Just answering a question that was probably rhetorical in the first place :)

This is a terrible tragedy, but I'm not going to use it to base an argument for other types of energy - which are mostly not cost effective in the least - and would probably be best looked into when this country isn't in a deficit :)
    -Cody

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Beer.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    What makes my blood boil are all these knee-jerk reactions to the little things around us and how quickly we are willing to surrender our liberties, freedoms and our way of life for a quick fix to a short term inconvenience. A nutjob with a gun shoots people and all of a sudden, legal owners that are law abiding are all treated like criminals. An oil line breaks and now I need to fork over more cash at the pump because some bureaucrat fells fining the company out of business is a good thing....

This is all just crap IMHO. What really pisses me off to no end is raising my taxes to obscene levels "for the children" and then letting a child molesting douchebag out of prison early because we have no money for the prison system. He the goes out and kidnaps a ten year old girl from her bed in the dark of night and rapes her. That my friends is a real reason to get the blood boiling... and the thirty round clips full, and the gas tanks filled with oil based gasoline.
    Sheesh John, tell us how you really feel!!

Quote Originally Posted by codyc1ark View Post
    Sheesh John, tell us how you really feel!!
    Can't argue with the truth, that's why the "elites" (so they think of themselves) of society lie to the rest of us...

Member Sales Rating: (17)

That's like $5 a quart!, bottle that stuff up and you'll never have to buy oil again for your car!!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Chances are that a residential neighborhood was not there when that pipeline was built....
    Now that is certainly more likely given the looks of those houses. Now, who is the greedy ones ? The village for granting permits to build houses in an area they know has buried oil pipes ? Nah.....much easier to cast stones at the demon everyone loves to hate.

As far as the aquifer gones, it already has hundreds of pipes running threw it, but I would still re-route another oil pipe just to be on the safe side. No sense asking for trouble where you know it exists.

If I was the oil company, I would offer to buy up the whole subdivision and use it for temp housing of it's own employees. Not sure how wide of an easement they have, but it's pretty obvious not wide enough.

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

Tell ya what, why don't you stop driving yourself to your job to protest oil. How about you give up all the conveniences oil provides you in your life (like all of the plastics, all of the lubrication products, all of the products that come from it...) to protest it. If people really knew how much fossil fuels have become intertwined in our lives...

Now the oil company will clean it up, they will pay fines, and they will make the affected people whole again. Could it have been averted? Probably, but that story is another matter.

I agree that oil companies should have their feet held to the fire to act in a responsible manner. Why don't you try to elect someone who will do that, instead of crying for blood? Come up with some reasonable solutions, instead of knee jerk reactionary statements...

That is a damn shame, and with a regular inspection program, completely avoidable. Free market ethics at it's finest...
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

The thing is we will always have accidents in almost every enviroment. Construction accidents, expolsions, wild fires, hell over 20,000 people just in the US alone die on our roads every year. Tons of oil seaps naturally out of the earth. At least on the ground we can resolve and clean up much easier than 5 miles below the ocean floor.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Now that is certainly more likely given the looks of those houses. Now, who is the greedy ones ? The village for granting permits to build houses in an area they know has buried oil pipes ? Nah.....much easier to cast stones at the demon everyone loves to hate.

As far as the aquifer gones, it already has hundreds of pipes running threw it, but I would still re-route another oil pipe just to be on the safe side. No sense asking for trouble where you know it exists.

If I was the oil company, I would offer to buy up the whole subdivision and use it for temp housing of it's own employees. Not sure how wide of an easement they have, but it's pretty obvious not wide enough.
    Unfortunately, those homes were there first.
    Not only did they drill under those homes, that pipeline goes under some of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see.

It pi$$es me off because of the people displaced, and the threat of death had a fire source reached that street, and damage to the beautiful area around that part of Arkansas (It is a beautiful place to say the least).

Regardless if they get paid, it will take a months before they see any money.
    Those families are living elsewhere at the moment, trying to make it without their home they paid hard earned money for!
    Last edited by pepster; 04-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.

They came in and drilled under existing homes?

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    They came in and drilled under existing homes?
    And lakes, creeks, rivers & ponds.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

You make valid points man but in all honesty, unless you or any of us intelligent folk decide to actually run the oval office, not run for it but run it, nothing will change. Ahhh it's a cruel world... perhaps I've been reading infowars.com way too much... Because my preception of this world, the people who run it... well, I'll just leave it at that before I'm "next".

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    And lakes, creeks, rivers & ponds.
    Now that's BS.

Thread Information