Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    Touche. However, a quick search says petrol-based ink has only been on the scene for about 50 years.
    http://1800recycling.com/2010/11/soy...cling-greener/

Either way, I'm certainly not against drilling or oil. Just answering a question that was probably rhetorical in the first place :)

This is a terrible tragedy, but I'm not going to use it to base an argument for other types of energy - which are mostly not cost effective in the least - and would probably be best looked into when this country isn't in a deficit :)
    -Cody
    But gone are the days of printing press made of wood and metal. Most are probably made of plastic these days.
    And I was just trying to agree with the original statement. :)
    I also agree this mess needs to be cleaned up. But messes happen all the time. How we react to them? Well just ask my 5 year old some times good sometimes we make a bigger mess.

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    And lakes, creeks, rivers & ponds.
    Theres oil in northern arkansas?
    I thought the Clampetts got it all years ago.
    Don't they just got gas now?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92U00220130401
    The pipe line is 65 years old. The houses affected look newer than that.

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by drselect View Post
    You may be right, I have read so many different stats its sick.
    Nobody has a straight answer at this point.

I read one report that it was 10 years old and 84,000 gallons spilled, and another says 12,000?

pepster

With 30,000 gallons spilled in Minnesota last Wednesday, I think these big oil companies need to pay up!
    And throw a rather large "Environment Fee" in too boot!
    Pipeline under Yellowstone?
    They are looking at a $1.7 million dollar fine for Yellowstone alone.

$800 Billion dollars a year profits, not much "sting" in those type of fines.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Let's see... 50 years without permitting a new refinery in the U.S. combined with crushing environmental regulations put forth by a branch of government NOT created by Congress, but rather through Executive order. Almost zero new electrical capacity brought online due to the same set of circumstance.

My guess is that it is cheaper to replace a broken pipe and clean the mess afterwards than it is to fight the red tape and the lawsuits for wanting to build a new one to begin with. I believe if it were cheaper and easier for the oil companies to conduct legal and lawful operations that costs across the board would go down and safety/ reliability would go up dramatically.

Force business to cut corners to save a buck in order to be profitable and it will always bite us in the ass and the wallet.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (41)

And this one happened.. same week: http://www.tarsandsblockade.org/tar-...ent-minnesota/
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."

pepster

Looks like they could not save Lake Conway (not sure if this is real, YouTube and all).
    Basically scared to mention what I have read with so many different stories floating around.

It was a beautiful lake.

Big Ole Crappie from Lake Conway.

Eat your heart out Cody!
    Last edited by pepster; 04-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Theres oil in northern arkansas?
    I thought the Clampetts got it all years ago.
    "Up from the ground came a bubblin' crude"

"Black gold, Texas Tea"

Tragedy for sure. We can't live without oil or lawyers.
    Carl

pepster

We can't live without oil or lawyers.
    I have a feeling they are fixin to walk hand in hand!
    I hope anyway!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Seriously? Name one thing that has impacted the advancement of society more than oil. Name one thing that has anywhere near the same creative potential.
    You're joking, right? Now we're going to reduce ALL of human history, scientific, technological and biological breakthroughs to petroleum.? lol

And, of course, burning fossil fuels has NO adverse effect on anything in the world or has since it's wondrous applications in industry began so loooooong ago? Big oil is our savior, gov't sucks, and the free market should teach our children "morality" and "ethics", have I missed anything that would further prevent any real discussion here?

Enjoy the discourse boys. Rhetoric is King at Club Polk! I'm outta here because "I" don't seem to know where reality is anymore.

I don't even think "I" can trust myself.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 04-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I hate you so much.

I'll trade you a sick baby camel for all that fish. Times are tough.

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by codyc1ark View Post
    I hate you so much.

I'll trade you a sick baby camel for all that fish. Times are tough.
    Thats not me Cody, just a pic from Lake Conway (off the web).
    I have better fishing than that where I live.
    1 mile from the Mulberry River.
    5 KILLER lakes withing 5 miles!
    Arkansas River about 10 miles from me!

And a 14' flatbottom I named "Camel Cody"!
    Last edited by pepster; 04-01-2013 at 10:15 PM.

I knew it wasn't you, that man is better looking.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

You beat me to it, was getting ready to post that.

Man CNH, calm down buddy boy.

I think your taking Mikes comments to the extreme. Oil has certainly played a big roll in the advancement of human kind. I would suggest to you that if we are to cast stones at any entity and suggest their evil ways are destroying the planet, it would have to be man himself, not the by products mother nature makes. How we use oil, get it, distribute it, refine it....is all man made cluster f@#ks.

Paul, the billions the oil companies make is still around 3% profit. Most other buisnesses would go under with that small a margin. Lucky for them they have a monopoly on the main source of energy. However, others are certainly free to start their own oil company, go threw all the red tape, EPA regulations, individual state regulations, trucking and so forth.

If you ever saw a pipeline map of where all these oil pipes are buried, you'd be shocked. Someone payed someone to get permits to bury these things where they are. Both government and oil companies are 2 peas in a pod, they both want the coin oil brings while at the same time pointing fingers at each other for political brownie points......and the obvious lobbyists money.

On another note, I hope nobody here really expects that a pipe will last forever.....do you ? They will eventually break and usually at the worst place possible. Unless someone has Star Trek technology, then we just have to suck it up and be as careful as we can be with the tech we have at the moment. Crap happens sometimes.

pepster

The vote to put the these pipelines iine through here, was "touted" as bringing "Thousands of jobs" to this area......
    That is how they sold it.
    Come to find out, after it passed in the State Senate, it was 20 full time jobs............imagine that!

If you read the news, 1/2 list it as "Keystone" the other half as "Pegasuses".
    So its either new, or 65 years old?
    Guess it is up to you to decide. because believe me, no one else knows which pipeline it is!!!!!

Go figure!
    Last edited by pepster; 04-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Paul, we have to wait for more info to come out before the long knives come out. They have a way to test even the older lines and I'm not sure when the last time it was done on this line that broke. I guess it's a 65 year old line.....and those houses certainly don't look 65 years old either. Still makes me wonder why houses were built there. Maybe a look into some records on who owned that land before it was developed is in order. Follow the money as they say.

Laying a pipeline also takes more than 20 jobs Paul. If you ever watched them do this, it's like an army of ants. I know your upset this happened in your neck of the woods, but lets wait for some more info to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    I'm more surprised that there is a oil pipeline running through a residential neighborhood. I disagree with that routing..

The video is just as disturbing to watch as when the ocean in the gulf was pissing oil. There should be safety switches that can be turned off when problems like this arise every few KM.
    You are right, but the question is who was there first, the pipeline or the houses. if the pipeline than who ever OK'd the houses to be built near a pipeline should be punished in some way. We all need the stuff, if it wasn't available ask yourself what would happen to the economy etc...

Quote Originally Posted by hosedagain View Post
    if the pipeline than who ever OK'd the houses to be built near a pipeline should be punished in some way.
    On what charge? Assuming all local zoning rules and regulations were adhered to, there is nothing illegal about building in close proximity to a pipeline.
    My humble setup...

...is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by hosedagain View Post
    You are right, but the question is who was there first, the pipeline or the houses..
    Irrelevant. Accidents happen, but if there is any negligence then being there first is no excuse.

Where I'm at, natural gas drilling is the big thing.
    They sued the town because they wouldn't let them put
    a gas well next to a school. Then they sued them because
    they wanted to run a gas line through a fire station parking lot.
    Follow the trail of $$$. Gas well within a couple hundred feet from a
    grade school? Gee, I guess no one ever watched some of the gas
    well explosion videos from West Texas.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Late 1940s

Exxon said the section that ruptured in the Arkansas town of Mayflower, about 22 miles northwest of Little Rock, was installed in the late 1940s. Larry Farnsworth, a spokesman for Representative Lee Terry, a Nebraska Republican who supports Keystone, said the spill shows the need for the U.S. to upgrade its infrastructure. A portion of the pipeline would cross Terry’s home state.

Keystone will be the “most modern and highly engineered pipeline that can be built,” Farnsworth said in a phone interview yesterday. Here where I live an oil tank to store heating oil for a furnace needs to be replaced every 20 to 25 years according to home insurance companies. If the oil tank is older you will not find any one to insure your house or business. Same goes for propane tanks.

Side note: Hellfighters with John Wayne is a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Irrelevant. Accidents happen, but if there is any negligence then being there first is no excuse.
    On the surface, I agree, but we have this little thing called disclosure. Did the people know they were buying a house on top of an oil line ? Is the oil company required by law to disclose, or the town ? If not....why not ?

Ever ask yourself why we have to ship oil in pipes over great distances ? Because we can't build any new refineries that are closer.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Ever ask yourself why we have to ship oil in pipes over great distances ? Because we can't build any new refineries that are closer.
    ^^this^^

The reason we are paying 4 bucks a gallon and have all these problems is right there. Nudge people into choosing a desired outcome by raising the price. If you cannot refine it, no reason to drill for it, so the price goes up, forcing people from trucks and SUV's into a Prius instead. Militant PETA types have partnered with environmentalists to get regulations implemented that have doubled the cost of beef in three short years... The "nudge" is always followed shove and then a punch to the face...

Did you know that they will add more than 70 new regulations to the books today, and have been doing so for at least several years?
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 04-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Seriously? Name one thing that has impacted the advancement of society more than oil. Name one thing that has anywhere near the same creative potential.
    The two-stage gas-powered snow blower.

BTW, sometimes red-tape can be good.
    The Ogallala Aquifer is your friend.
    (cut and paste)
    " Since large-scale irrigation began in the 1940s, water levels have declined more than 100 feet in parts of Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. In the 1980s and 1990s, the rate of groundwater mining , or overdraft, lessened, but still averaged approximately 2.7 feet per year."

Thread Information