Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sda crs

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Angry Sda crs

Had my SDA CRS's out last night playing music, when all of a sudden the bottom right speaker in the left channel caught on fire It burnt through the front screen and also burnt the top right tweeter (these are the dual tweeter earlier model). Any idea why this might have happened and how to prevent it in the future? I was most likely planning on buying new parts from Polk, they're my dads old speakers from college so they're somewhat of a sentimental item after he passed them down to me.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

pics please....
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (11)

The most likely explanation is a major malfunction in your amplifier or cabling sending a very high voltage to your speaker. It is VERY unlikely normal audio signals and volumes will result in a fire. I'd get that amp checked out by a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    pics please....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	89394
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825[1].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	89395
    Should've put them in the original post, apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    The most likely explanation is a major malfunction in your amplifier or cabling sending a very high voltage to your speaker. It is VERY unlikely normal audio signals and volumes will result in a fire. I'd get that amp checked out by a pro.
    My current receiver is a Kenwood VR-209, and I would say the speakers were playing relatively loud. Nothing crazy, but I'd say about 75% of the way turned up. I'd think I'm better off just buying a new receiver vs. getting it checked out, considering the current one isn't worth that much.
    Last edited by isarealboy772; 09-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Good thing you were around when it happened!

Personally any electronic/electrical device that catches on FIRE gets replaced.
    I dont fool around trying to fix it unless it is under warranty then i'd be calling the manufacturer for a replacement.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Damn.....LOL

I agree with anonymouse that your receiver is the likely culprit. At 75% volume your receiver was being overdriven. The general rule of thumb, keep it below 50%. If that's not loud enough for you, you need more power.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Are you related to PFB? That's what happens when you listen to acid rock backwards while cooking meth...

Just giving you a hard time. That looks pretty scary, I would definitely try a different receiver and you may want to contact someone to do some crossover repair work.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Agree with others. You need more (high current) power.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Owww... That sucks. I tend to agree with others that you should look at the receiver. Sorry to see the meltdown.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The receiver may not be the problem, in terms of there being a failure inside it. It was clearly being over-driven into what I suspect is a 4 ohm load. The speakers can be fixed fairly easily, but I suspect BOTH suffered some damage. rebuilding the crossovers is a must, and obviously replacing the torched drivers.

You will find plenty of help here in getting them sounding better than new in no time.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    The receiver may not be the problem, in terms of there being a failure inside it. It was clearly being over-driven into what I suspect is a 4 ohm load. The speakers can be fixed fairly easily, but I suspect BOTH suffered some damage. rebuilding the crossovers is a must, and obviously replacing the torched drivers.

You will find plenty of help here in getting them sounding better than new in no time.
    After all these responses, I think I'll be getting a higher watt amp regardless! Replacing the drivers I know I can do, I'll order some new ones from polk (hopefully that won't break my wallet toooooo much). Anything else... any help with that personally? I'm very new to repairing audio equipment. Any help is more than appreciated I'll search the heck out of the forums too.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Welcome to Club Polk!

That's pretty impressive. I've never seen anything FLAME up like that (finger's crossed). You must have been really pounding them! What kind of equipment were you running? There are some amps that have no "relays" which is not a problem unless, well, unless there is something wrong with them and they decide to discharge a LOAD of current into what can't handle it! I have read about some amps going up in flames (such as the FLAME (PHASE) LINEARS. But never seen a speaker impersonate the Human Torch!

Lots of info on this site about your "crossovers" and replacement drivers are readily available. Those are NICE speakers!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I told the story of when I found these ratty Bose 601s that were rehabed and I later flipped. With them the guy offered me a Sansui receiver, I said well lets turn it on .Because it was in the attic for 20 years or so the dust build up caught fire immediately and we walked the thing to the curb and said thanks but no......
    Your problem sounds like it sent 110v right into your speakers and just bypassed the step down x-former. Even before getting that new amp/receiver check the outlet you plugged into just for giggles ,you never know w/ electricity. Not good!!!

Only speakers I've ever seen catch fire were Bose. About 11 years ago, was working at Chuck E Cheese where most of their showroom speakers were Klipsch, which sounded fine. But they also had a large set of Bose speakers which were used close to the stage and there was a complaint about the highs not being very pronounced(surprise, surprise) so tech decided to adjust the equalizer to bring out more detail and then POOF! The tweeters blew.
    Display: Sony KV-34HS420 34" CRT
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX
    Fronts: Polk RT1000p
    Center: Polk CS400i
    Surrounds: Polk RT55
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD

Quote Originally Posted by isarealboy772 View Post
    After all these responses, I think I'll be getting a higher watt amp regardless! Replacing the drivers I know I can do, I'll order some new ones from polk (hopefully that won't break my wallet toooooo much). Anything else... any help with that personally? I'm very new to repairing audio equipment. Any help is more than appreciated I'll search the heck out of the forums too.
    Man that sucks, but like F1nut said if you need to crank the eviction control knob past 50% or 12 O'clock you need more power. If I'm not mistaken those CRS's are rated for about 200 watts @ 4 Ohms max.

The first thing I would do before ordering anything from Polk is check all the drivers, tweeters & crossovers so can get an idea on the costs to repair them. Tweeters & Drivers from Polk are around $50.00 each, so worst case you could be looking at around $400.00 for all new tweeters & drivers, On the tweeters if it's just the one you might be able to find a used SL1000 otherwise you'll need all 4, The RDO-194 is the replacement for the SL1000 and polk is out of stock until October.

The crossovers could run as much as $400.00 or more, just depends on how bad they are. Check out Trey at Vr3Mods he'll be able to give you abetter idea of cost.

Hope this helps.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Welcome to Club Polk!

That's pretty impressive. I've never seen anything FLAME up like that (finger's crossed). You must have been really pounding them! What kind of equipment were you running? There are some amps that have no "relays" which is not a problem unless, well, unless there is something wrong with them and they decide to discharge a LOAD of current into what can't handle it! I have read about some amps going up in flames (such as the FLAME (PHASE) LINEARS. But never seen a speaker impersonate the Human Torch!

Lots of info on this site about your "crossovers" and replacement drivers are readily available. Those are NICE speakers!

cnh
    They were running through a Kenwood VR-209. Not exactly a great receiver, but it was holding me over till I found something better. I had them cranked up pretty high but didn't think they'd burst like this! It's probably partially since they hadn't be actively used like this for awhile. I'll definitely be doing my research! Heck of a lot to learn before I get these back in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpod View Post
    Man that sucks, but like F1nut said if you need to crank the eviction control knob past 50% or 12 O'clock you need more power. If I'm not mistaken those CRS's are rated for about 200 watts @ 4 Ohms max.

The first thing I would do before ordering anything from Polk is check all the drivers, tweeters & crossovers so can get an idea on the costs to repair them. Tweeters & Drivers from Polk are around $50.00 each, so worst case you could be looking at around $400.00 for all new tweeters & drivers, On the tweeters if it's just the one you might be able to find a used SL1000 otherwise you'll need all 4, The RDO-194 is the replacement for the SL1000 and polk is out of stock until October.

The crossovers could run as much as $400.00 or more, just depends on how bad they are. Check out Trey at Vr3Mods he'll be able to give you abetter idea of cost.

Hope this helps.
    This helped immensely. It's a 500 watt amp, obviously I was pushing too much power in but had no clue it would result in something like this. After a couple quick google searches I actually found the SL1000 tweeters online for purchase, I think I'll go that route since I don't exactly have the budget to replace everything!

That crossover price is going to kill me, I'll contact Trey about it hopefully they're not that bad. Thanks a whole lot.

It's probably partially since they hadn't be actively used like this for awhile.
    No, that's not it at all. It's not fault of the speakers, it's the fact that you caused the AVR to send a clipped signal/DC voltage because at that volume level it was being overdriven. That's not to mention your AVR is not even rated to drive a 4 ohm load.

It's a 500 watt amp, obviously I was pushing too much power in but had no clue it would result in something like this.
    No, it's not a 500 watt amp. It's an AVR, not an amp and it's only rated for 100 wpc, 2 channels driven. Had you actually been driving them with a 500 wpc amp, the speakers would have been fine.

You weren't pushing too much power, it was too little.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    No, that's not it at all. It's not fault of the speakers, it's the fact that you caused the AVR to send a clipped signal/DC voltage because at that volume level it was being overdriven. That's not to mention your AVR is not even rated to drive a 4 ohm load.

No, it's not a 500 watt amp. It's an AVR, not an amp and it's only rated for 100 wpc, 2 channels driven. Had you actually been driving them with a 500 wpc amp, the speakers would have been fine.

You weren't pushing too much power, it was too little.
    This goes to show how little I know about this. Haha. Learning experience. It was a receiver I had in my basement and grabbed before I went back to school. My dad, whom claims to have much more knowledge than me, said it should be fine. Obviously wasn't and I'm paying a big price for it. I'll be getting a new receiver also. Sorry if I've frustrated you, big newbie at this.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

That model of Kenwood AVR was a pos. I bought one for an ex gf back in 1999 I believe. They were about the cheapest DD5.1 avr back then, I think I paid about $275.00 for it , and it sounded like it! Plus I remember how lightweight it was and plastic. It would distort if pushed very much past 10 o clock, think it was rated around 60 watts per channel, maybe. Those poor SDA CRS's deserved better.
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 09-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.

No worries, we all start at the beginning on the road of audio knowledge.

If you want to be able to play them at concert levels, you need to buy a really good integrated amp or a separate pre amp and amp. Whatever it is, it must be rated to drive 4 ohm loads. Forget AVR's/receivers, they don't have what it takes, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    That model of Kenwood AVR was a pos. I bought one for an ex gf back in 1999 I believe. They were about the cheapest DD5.1 avr back then, I think I paid about $275.00 for it , and it sounded like it! Plus I remember how lightweight it was and plastic. It would distort if pushed very much past 10 o clock, think it was rated around 60 watts per channel, maybe. Those poor SDA CRS's deserved better.
    Must be the reason it was sitting unused in my basement. Looks like it'll end up on craigslist soon for some other poor soul to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    No worries, we all start at the beginning on the road of audio knowledge.

If you want to be able to play them at concert levels, you need to buy a really good integrated amp or a separate pre amp and amp. Whatever it is, it must be rated to drive 4 ohm loads. Forget AVR's/receivers, they don't have what it takes, period.
    Any recommendations on the preamp/amp or integrated amp setup? I'm not sure if this falls under concert levels, I just need them to at the very most be loud enough to overpower a group of about 35people (I have parties in my apartment here and there). Never even thought of looking at anything other than a receiver. You're helping out more than you can imagine.

I had no idea about the 50% rule. I HATE having to ask dumb questions, but if your AVR doesn't use the 1 to 10 scale, how do you know where the halfway mark is? I think I remember reading that mine tops out at +12dB. I've never looked where the scale starts on mine. They should install a warning light when you get to 50% and a R.I.P. blinking light when you get to 75%.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD, Pangea AC-14 PC
    Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi3 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW, DCF92 SC's
    AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M-Series M850SW, Ultra 1000FO Toslink, Ultra 800 HDMI IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

For starters, keep it under -10 on that scale. I'm not so sure you want to sink that kind of coin into them. Drivers....crossovers.....tweeters, your talking a complete rebuild here. This will be some coinage, best rethink that sentimental value thing. Of course unless you have the coin to throw at them, then rock on.

Any recommendations on the preamp/amp or integrated amp setup?
    Absolutely, how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? In other words, what's your budget?

For starters, keep it under -10 on that scale.
    I agree.

For music I keep it between -30 and -20. For home theater -25 to -20. It's in a small room. I bought the speakers used, so I can't speak for the original owner. All I know is that he was using a Denon AVR to power them.
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi3 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M-Series M850SW, Ultra 1000FO Toslink, Ultra 800 HDMI IC's

Well then, he already did some damage most likely before you got them driving them with a receiver. You doing the same thing didn't help any and just fast tracked the inevitable.

I think you're getting me mixed up with the other guy in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by isarealboy772 View Post
    Sorry if I've frustrated you, big newbie at this.

Pics or it didn't happen. Oh wait....
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    I think you're getting me mixed up with the other guy in this thread.
    Your right, I did.....my apologies.

isarealboy772, tonyb has a point about the potential cost, but as far as I can tell you only need one driver and a tweeter at this time. Before you go any further remove the crossover and check it for any visible damage. A cooked resistor, inductor or blown/leaking cap will be easy to spot.

Thread Information