Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Still hoping for that rich uncle payout or lottery win so that I can build a system around a pair of the new 3060s.
    I think you would also have to build your house around those amps.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (0)

My original calling was design and architecture. I designed a house long ago that had a room based around a 2 channel system. It was in the lower level and the floor was a bed of 18 inches of sand and pee gravel with a 12 inch concrete slab with in floor radiant heat/cooling with a 1/4 rubberized coating on the floor before the flooring was put down.

But until my rich uncle leaves me a small fortune... lol

I am looking forward to your evaluations. My buddy's shop not too long ago stopped carrying the Pass products before I got back into audio so I never got a chance to put my ears on them.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Default They're Here!!

Figure 1. The freight company only sent one person (the driver) with the delivery.

The driver asked why these amplifiers were so big and heavy. I knew he was hinting that he wanted some help, but I initially stood there and watched him struggle for a bit before offering to help.

I was surprised that the driver only had a two wheel dolly. I went and got my four wheel flatbed dolly from the garage.

Figure 2. People often mention how hot the X600.5's run, but they actually run about 10 degrees (F) cooler
    than my JC 1's, even though they have substantially higher class A bias current. However the X600.5's
    spread that heat over a larger and thicker aluminum chassis and far more massive aluminum heat sinks.

The white things in figure 2 are digital thermometers. Idling out in the open, the heat sink temperatures averaged 100 degrees (F). Inside the cabinet, the heat sink idling temperature averaged 105 degrees. After playing music for four hours straight at 85-90 dB-C, the heat sink temperatures averaged 111 degrees (F). This compares to an average of 123 degrees (F) for the JC 1's.

Figure 3. I had just enough room, 3/8" on each side, to slide in the 19" wide X600.5's. I found out that those
    aggressively sculpted heat sinks are big for good reason.

In the future, when I am not as dedicated to audio as I am now, I will quit dealing with hot, heavy amplifiers and get a nice pair of 10 pound, 1000 watt, cool running ICE amps.

Figure 4. So far, on the first day's playing, the fan's have not been required.

In anticipation of the X600.5's higher heat, I mounted a quiet 50 cfm fan above each amp's area. It lowered the JC 1's heat sink temperature an average 6 degrees (F). I can just barely hear them at the listening position during the quiet spaces between music selections.

I really don't understand people complaining about the heat. If you buy an amp that is substantially biased in class A, you are going to have some heat.

Figure 5. Such Good Sound! X600.5's installed. The Pass preamps play very well with the Pass power amp.
    I noticed a bit of synergy.

Figure 6. The former JC 1 power amps. Time's up...Sonny's home.

Figure 7. Before I send the JC 1's back for trade in credit, I will re-read the 1987 Stereo Review article that
    proved that all amplifiers sound the same. I don't want to be hoodwinked by those slick marketers at the
    audiophile amplifier companies.

Other than the heat, the other thing people nitpick about is the brightness of the current meter. Some people wish for a switch that can turn off the meter's light. I do not find the meter to be bright at all. It is about the same brightness as Cary CD 306 Pro Version SACD player's display. The X600.5 meter is less bright than the CD 306's LED's and the XP-30 preamp's display.

The advice from Pass is that the X600.5's take 36 hours to warm up and five days of straight music play to break in.

More later.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

They look great. Congrats !!! Are those new platforms that your Turntable & CD Player are sitting on ?

Very nice. I have upgraditis now. When my 400 pound rack arrived last week it was in 4 boxes, and the UPS driver was a woman. She had moving the big heavy stuff off the truck down to a science. She bought it to the garage door, and I dragged each piece inside.

Speaking of racks, have you thought if getting a sturdier open rack, and bringing the gear out in the open? It will run cooler, and probably sound better when the sound can flow around the gear versus reflecting off the sides. It sure did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    They look great. Congrats !!! Are those new platforms that your Turntable & CD Player are sitting on ?
    Yes. Those are PS Audio PowerBases. Reviewed here

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have upgraditis now.
    Well, you'd better hurry to the doctor and get the strongest antidote available. You see what happened to me and my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Speaking of racks, have you thought if getting a sturdier open rack, and bringing the gear out in the open? It will run cooler, and probably sound better when the sound can flow around the gear versus reflecting off the sides. It sure did for me.
    I used open racks for years for the reasons you stated. I reached a point where I got tired of all my gear staring back at me. I particularly do not like the look of silver components.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Congrats and beautilful looking amps !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Those are blue lights I can live with!! LOL!!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Looks fantastic, can't wait for your review on them!

DK,

Interesting that you replaced the JC1s with Pass 600.5s. A buddy of mine has 600.5s mated with ARC Ref 5 preamp and Martin Logan CLXs. When I got my JC1s, he was so impressed that he wanted to hear them in his system. We made the comparison and found that the 600.5s were indeed better sounding to both of us, but the JC1s definitely held their own. I found the 600.5s more balanced and refined, with a bit more ease in presentation. I'm still very happy with the JC1s in my system, but I do think you have made an excellent choice here.

BTW, earlier in the thread you mentioned that you had briefly considered the Classe CA-M600 monoblocks but thought they were more geared towards home theater than 2-channel. Did you audition them in your system?

Anthony
    Two-Channel System:
    Turntable/Cartridge: VPI Classic 3/Ortofon Cadenza Black
    ~~~~Wireworld Plat. phono cable
    Phono Pre: Parasound JC 3
    CD Player/DAC: Cary CD 306 SACD Pro
    Computer Audio Chain: Mac Mini
    --Amarra
    --Berkeley Audio USB Converter
    ~~~~WW Plat XLR
    Pre-Amp: Cary SLP-05
    ~~~~WW Gold XLR
    Amplifiers: Parasound JC1s
    ~~~~WW Silver SCs
    Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Spires

Home Theater System:

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    We made the comparison and found that the 600.5s were indeed better sounding to both of us, but the JC1s definitely held their own. I found the 600.5s more balanced and refined, with a bit more ease in presentation.
    I have only had the 600.5's for one day, but your and your friend's impressions essentially echo mine, with the exception that I find the X600.5's to have a lot more ease in presentation. This is especially true as the volume is turned up.

The JC 1's are outstanding amplifiers in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    BTW, earlier in the thread you mentioned that you had briefly considered the Classe CA-M600 monoblocks but thought they were more geared towards home theater than 2-channel. Did you audition them in your system?
    No.

Thread Information