Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl wins!!!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default Vinyl wins!!!

I recently got back into vinyl after taking about 25 years off, and have built up a nice little collection so far (probably about 300 records now, give or take). I just upgraded my turntable and cartridge to a VPI Traveler with a Grado Sonata cartridge. My digital source is a Bolder-modded Logitech Squeezebox Touch feeding into the DAC of my Marantz SA-8004 SACD player. I use a Dared MC-7P with NOS tubes as my phono/pre, a Krell KAV-2250 amp, and my modded 4.1TL's, with Signal Cables all the way through the chain. My CD rips are all lossless, done with EAC in secure mode, with Accurate Rip.

I've got a friend in the office who doesn't hesitate to give me flac about my audio expenditures. But he especially gets on me about vinyl. He loves to make comments like "So do you go to the bathroom in an outhouse as well?" He's a purely digital kind of guy. I always brush him off by telling him that any time he'd like to come hear vinyl destroy cd sound, I'd be happy to demonstrate for him. Yesterday, we did just that. I live quite close to my office, so at lunch time we took a drive to my house and we did a little demo....

Before we even started, he had to make a wisecrack. I've got my turntable sitting on top of a 3.5" maple cutting board for vibration isolation. The wise-guy asked if this was an "audiophile" cutting board. Ha ha.....

First up, Fleetwood Mac Rumors. I have the original cd, the HDTracks 24-bit version, and then the 45RPM reissue vinyl. I played the cd first. We listened to Don't Stop and Songbird. It sounded very thin, totally unimpressive. The 24-bit was a huge improvement. But when the vinyl came on, my friend reluctantly admitted that there was just more to the sound of the vinyl. Reverb was more realistic. Bass was fuller with better punch. Cymbols extended to a slow fade much nicer than the digital versions. And Christie McVie's voice on Songbird... it can give you goosebumps. At this point he admitted that this one instance sounded better, but he needed more examples before he could admit defeat.

Second, we listened to Stiletto, on Billy Joel's 52nd Street. We started with the 24K gold Sony Mastersound version of the cd, and then the vintage vinyl, not the recent reissue. The cd version sounded very good, not suffering any of the thin-sound that we heard on the Fleetwood Mac cd. But when I played the vinyl, he again reluctantly admitted that the vinyl sounded better. Same as before - more full and realistic. Warmer. Deeper bass and better extension of the highs. It just sounded "richer" than the digital version.

Next up, China Cat Sunflower from the Grateful Dead Europe '72. Started out with the original cd, then the 180g vinyl reissue. Same observations about the differences. One comment that my friend made at this point was that he was hearing a lot of reverb in my system. I told him that this is because he's really hearing the reverb that's in the recording, my hi-fi isn't adding any artificial reverb. He was not convinced.

So I busted out the Foo Fighters Colour & The Shape on 180g vinyl, and we played the intro track and then Monkey Wrench. Monkey Wrench has some very tight stops and starts, so if my hi-fi was adding any reverb it would be noticeable in that track. There was nothing resembling reverb here. The music was tight, full of punch, and went from loud to black instantly, with no sound bleeding into the quiet break. He was starting to become very impressed.

Then we went in a completely opposite direction, and I put on Baby I'm A Fool, from the 180g vinyl version of Melody Gardot's My One And Only Thrill. Spectacular.

Finished up with Ah'w Baby/Everything Gonna Be Alright from the 180g vinyl version of Drinkin TNT Smokin Dynamite by Buddy Guy and Junior Wells. This album is outstanding, the sound quality is just fantastic. I was keen to play it for him because I'm seeing Buddy Guy live in a bit over a week from now. He loved it.

We finished up at that point since we had to get back to work. But he reluctantly admitted defeat, agreeing that the vinyl beat digital hands down in every comparison we did, including 24-bit. He knew the Foo Fighters track well, and it was as good as he'd ever heard it. He told me that I had definitely opened his eyes, not that he's racing off to build an audiophile hi-fi by any means.

I wish we had a bit more time, I would have done two comparisons versus SACD for him. I've got two albums on both SACD on vinyl, and I prefer the vinyl in both cases. The first is Eat A Peach by the Allman Brothers, where I've got the original gatefold Capricorn vinyl. The second is Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, where I have the 180g vinyl reissue. The Pink Floyd is the better example, since the SACD and the vinyl reissue came out together, so presumably the source version is identical.

And that's without touching any classical music. To be honest, I've never loved listening to classical on my SDA's. I've always had a lot on cd, but always thought it sounded rather sterile on my SDA's. But then I inherited a bunch of vintage classical vinyl from my father, who was happy to give it to me since he doesn't play vinyl any more. I was blown away by how great it sounds through my SDA's compared to cd.

Plenty of people will disagree, I know that's coming, but in my little demo with my friend..... VINYL WINS!!!!!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I'm with you. I like vinyl the best also.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

How friggin long is lunch at your job?!?!
    They hiring?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

It all boils down to what each indiviual likes. This is why vinyl vs. digital debates turn into ugly brawls most of the time. Me, I have some vinyl that I like better than digital and vice versa.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Just did yhat this week, and i agree. Vinyl is much better.oh crap here comes the rabbit hole!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

I also have some buddies who recently emailed me and asked, "What does L.P. mean anyway?" and then proceeded with a long thread of purportedly funny jokes. Then, when the signed Beatles album sold a few days ago for a few hundred thousand dollars, I sent a reply that said, "That's what L.P. means!"

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post

Then we went in a completely opposite direction, and I put on Baby I'm A Fool, from the 180g vinyl version of Melody Gardot's My One And Only Thrill. Spectacular.
    Excellent choice. I bet that is spectacular in vinyl.
    Thanks for taking the time to share.
    Craig

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I've also migrated back into a vinyl front end, and am really enjoying myself. But, like any format, vinyl can be very "recording" dependent. The better the studio, engineers, and attention to detail, the better ANY format sounds.

I've got some very good vinyl examples, and I've got some "not so good" recordings, some equally good cd's, and some pure crap. I like them all, but I really enjoy a good analog playback
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    They hiring?
    LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

And of course, I am in the vinyl camp as well.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

"Monkey Wrench" must've woken him up good. You just said that.Sounds like fun!
    listen to Alex Jones
    Acer Laptop: the Flash works it works haha!

They hiring?
    Hahaha. Ww didn't play entire songs. I'd say we were in and out of my house in under an hour.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Vinyl is the champeen...

everybody has been conditioned to think digital sounds better, but it don't.

It can sound good... but vinyl can sound great...

SACD sounds great, but that is just separating the signal to more channels digitally... it wasn't recorded that way.

my vote has always been for vinyl.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Vinyl is where the real music is stored.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

I find vinyl to have the edge a significant percentage of the time versus digital (SACD and redbook CD). That said, I have digital recordings that outshine my best vinyl recordings in every regard. There are good and bad examples of both. I wholeheartedly embrace both mediums.

Analog playback: Denon DP-59L / Audio-Technica AT33EV / Acoustic Zen Wow-II ICs; Digital playback: Marantz Reference SA11S2 / Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II ICs; Classé amplification.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Member Sales Rating: (2)

all the best,
    mrh

My wife doesn't want me to get a turntable. I can't say I blame her one bit.
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Just got an original release Led Zep Presence.
    I have the original cd,a remastered cd and a Japanese cd to compare to tonite.

Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630
    Pioneer-SA9800-TXd1000-CTf9191-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Just got an original release Led Zep Presence.
    I have the original cd,a remastered cd and a Japanese cd to compare to tonite.
    It won't even be a contest. Zeppelin original vinyl destroys the cd's.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Vinyl wins alright...you can't make a big enough bowl out of CD's. Here's a recipe to put them to good use.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Bowls-out-of-Vinyl-Records
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Wonder how many people make those bowls out of good music.

Not that there isn't enough crappy music out there to use.

I got one as a christmas gift. It's a Kenny Rodgers album I think. Use it for a candy dish.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    It won't even be a contest. Zeppelin original vinyl destroys the cd's.
    I expect it will.I only hunt minty original pressings and remasters from master tapes pretty much.I still don't think a digitally remastered source to vinyl is really the same.
    but i must say the Floyd WYWH remastered vinyl from last year is pretty damn sweet.But the SACD kills it in quality.

I kinda like them both. Especially in my truck
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630
    Pioneer-SA9800-TXd1000-CTf9191-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

It occurred to me recently (recently because I'm pretty slow) that digital formats have a finite amount of data, but vinyl has an infinite amount of data, in the same way that a line is made up of an infinite number of points. I do like my vinyl, but I have plenty of CDs that sound good. I have an inexpensive Stanton TT and the vinyl still sounds great. One day I hope to upgrade to something nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by boston1450 View Post
    Nice, under the radar piece. That model is direct drive, isn't it?

all the best,
    mrh

Name:  RP1-cool-grey-cut-out.gif
Views: 306
Size:  54.7 KB

I picked up one of these locally this weekend. Been listening to some albums that I've never heard before (raided my pop's hefty library) and am enjoying it at the moment. It's been fun and one or two albums are definitely impressive ("Wish You Were Here" is astounding), but for the most part, I prefer my digital collection. I will admit that vinyl has dynamics I've never heard on CD's.

The Rega will be moving down the road shortly. I just don't want to get into that rabbit hole yet. I've still gotta get my digital stuff up to snuff.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

all the best,
    mrh

" Then, when the signed Beatles album sold a few days ago for a few hundred thousand dollars, I sent a reply that said, "That's what L.P. means!" so, LP means "loose purse"? "lotsa pennies"? I like the Beatles as well as the next guy but really.......some folks got money to burn I guess. Color me as an analog fan but I appreciate the convenience & clarity of discs. Both have a place.

Enjoying Pete Townsend Empty Glass that I just bought from Mr. Grand. Sounds so good!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Vinyl is my sweet treat when I have the time...

I love my SACD's as well...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Thread Information