Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Are you ready for Blu-ray Audio? Universal Music thinks you are

Saw this on the Steve Hoffman forum, I figure to spread the word here.

Japan HMV list Blu-ray Audio titles ready for release in May 2013

Back in January 2013, Universal Music had the following to say....

High Fidelity Pure Audio is an exciting new physical product which uses Blu-ray technology to deliver an ultra-high quality listening experience to the consumer. Blu-ray discs offer increased bandwidth and capacity, meaning audio can be encoded without the compression required on CD releases. This allows for pure, uncompressed 24bit/96khz audio so you can really hear music as it was meant to be heard!

Following on from the incredible feedback received on previous releases (including the Rolling Stones new Grrr! Greatest Hits compilation), more than 50 titles are now available. These releases include all the greats of classical music that Universal has to offer as well as a selection of contemporary material, including legendary titles from artists including Bob Marley, Queen and Stevie Wonder.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

WOW SUPERTRAMP.....guess I'm going to have to jump on the BR bandwagon. Too bad they have not brought any Supertramp SACD to market.....

Pretty sweet if this takes off. I guess there are a few out there now? I have Tom Petty's Mojo on audio only blu-ray, and I guess Pink Floyd's Immersion versions of DSOTM and WYWH would be considered audio only, even though there's some video outside the remastering. Anyone ever compare Floyd's blu-ray of either of these releases to the SACD releases? Be interested to hear if there is an audible difference.

Anyway, thanks for the link and info Danny, much appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

This allows for pure, uncompressed 24bit/96khz audio – so you can really hear music as it was meant to be heard!
    They tried this with DVD-A and look what happened to those......dead in the water. I'm damn sure not buying into yet another format. SACD rules!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

So like HD Tracks but with all the inconvenience?
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Well no, you would actually own and be able to trade or sell them.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I am with Jesse here. I have maybe a dozen or so DVD-As that I listen to in my car and literally nowhere else (Car has a 5.1 system, DVD-A player, etc).

Pretty sure it will have a few gems and then just fade out to the periphery.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

I looked online for some of the 50 titles already available only found one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Rolling-.../dp/B009X1SZFO is the Japan HMV link the only place to get them?
    F:L/R LSi 15
    Cen: LSiC
    Sur: LSi FX
    SurBack: LSi 9's
    Sub: Modded PSW1000
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Emotiva UPA-200 W/Black Trim
    Emotiva XPA-3 W/Black Trim
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
    Plasma TV Wall Unit SKU: SH-CAESAR-WU

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Pretty sure it will have a few gems and then just fade out to the periphery.
    Well maybe but they said the same about SACD/DVD-audio. I have a good collection of both and with the titles I have that are on both formats the DVD-A is just a bit better to my ears on some of them. That being said remember the format war was going on as well and HD/BR disc's was at it also so it may just take off this time as most have a BR-player. We need all the distributors to get on it as well. Sony would not let their artists make DVD-Audio's but still didn't make as much available as they said they would on SACD. Thank god others stepped in and took over.

Psychodelic Pill is great on blu-ray. Will most definately buy more titles.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

BluRay audio sounds good to me. I have a couple of titles and love them..

I still pick up a DVD-A disk now and then, I like them as well..

With that said SACD is where it's at..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

I already have a couple, and as more become available I will buy them.

One question for Oppo 105 owners is will the Oppo play Bluray audio disks at high-res and send the analog out the balanced outputs? Or are we stuck with using HDMI and a pre that accepts HDMI?

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I already have a couple, and as more become available I will buy them.

One question for Oppo 105 owners is will the Oppo play Bluray audio disks at high-res and send the analog out the balanced outputs?

Yes!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Great. Now I have another piece of gear to buy. I wish there was a BR audio only player, no video, at this time.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

IMO SACD sounds better than DVD-Audio which is essentially equivalent to Blu-Ray Audio (both 24bit/192khz). I'll stick with SACD, especially since MFSL and Audio Fidelity aren't putting out Blu-ray Audio discs.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Good timing, I am listening to patrichbarbermoderncool now in 5.1, and it sounds great. Stereo is next.

Earlier tonight I was listening to my new rack and it occurred to me to watch the new Patricia Barber Blueray, so I put it in and hit play, play, play, play, .... and now I am wondering if my Oppo is broken. Then, eureka, I realize this is a music only disc. Duh!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

SACD and vinyl is where it's at for me. Plus, I can rip all the vinyl I want in 96/24 and up it to my media player. Agree with Jesse, I own it, can trade or sell it and still have the rips for convenience.

Oh yeah, did I mention it sounds better and costs less to?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I feel this is a little to late. This should have come out years ago when they where talking about it. The market is geared towards downloads and thats where it's at.
    I have no interest in trading or selling my music. Not to mention now another disc I gotta make room for somewhere in my collection.
    DOn't get me wrong I'm all for high rez music however you can get it , I'll probably see a disc I gotta have but I'm not excited to give this a spin. I can get 24/192 from HD tracks. I also own both SACD and DVD AUDIO.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I feel this is a little to late. This should have come out years ago when they where talking about it. The market is geared towards downloads and thats where it's at.
    I have no interest in trading or selling my music. Not to mention now another disc I gotta make room for somewhere in my collection.
    DOn't get me wrong I'm all for high rez music however you can get it , I'll probably see a disc I gotta have but I'm not excited to give this a spin. I can get 24/192 from HD tracks. I also own both SACD and DVD AUDIO.
    Exactly. I've got 4 blu-ray players at my house, only one plays SACD. I love my SACDs, but if they want to put out another great sounding format and I don't have to upgrade my hardware to listen to it, count me in!

They've been promising BDA for years, and very few titles have come out. I'm done holding my breath.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
    Exactly. I've got 4 blu-ray players at my house, only one plays SACD. I love my SACDs, but if they want to put out another great sounding format and I don't have to upgrade my hardware to listen to it, count me in!
    I was thinking the same thing.

Are BDA discs compatible with all blu-ray players? If so, I think this could really take off since way more people own BR players.

But I've had a few Leinenkugels at this point so maybe my logic is skewed.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

i wish they had more music on blu ray instead of those live concerts

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    WOW SUPERTRAMP.....guess I'm going to have to jump on the BR bandwagon.
    Now available for pre-order

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=NEOIMP-6672

Why do the dates keep changing? I really want to get my hands on a BD Audio disk. It was may 13th for some now its May 21st and June 10th.
    F:L/R LSi 15
    Cen: LSiC
    Sur: LSi FX
    SurBack: LSi 9's
    Sub: Modded PSW1000
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Emotiva UPA-200 W/Black Trim
    Emotiva XPA-3 W/Black Trim
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
    Plasma TV Wall Unit SKU: SH-CAESAR-WU

Thread Information