Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New rack for the electronics

Over the last few years I have upgraded the components, cables, and power of my two channel system, but I have been using a TV/component rack that I bought at Macy’s in the late 80s. It had shelves on the left, a space for 27inch TV on the right, with drawers and a storage space on the bottom.

While it served its purpose, I did have to remove the back to allow better airflow, and to allow the power conditioner to use a shelf on the right. Another problem is that it is made of that fake wood stuff. While heavy, it really did not do a good job of absorbing vibration. Instead, it seemed to transmit vibrations into the gear. One reason I suspect is because it is closed on the sides. This serves no useful purpose, and is just more surface area exposed to sound waves, which results in more vibration. I think the vibration aspect of this rack is one reason why the brass footers under all my gear make such a big difference.

Anyway, I finally broke down and bought a Mapleshade Samson v3 four shelf rack with a rosewood finish. One shelf is four inches thick, and the other 3 are two inches thick. While I expected it to be heavy, this thing weighs almost 400 pounds! Believe me, it was a beast to assemble by myself. I was exhausted yesterday evening after finishing it.

I built it like a skyscraper, one floor at a time. I’m glad I planned on the 4 inch shelf being on the bottom because I could not lift it. I walked it inside from the garage, laid it on its side, inserted the 48 inch solid steel rods, and tilted it up. I had to get it into its final position before tilting it since once it is upright, it will not move due to the brass carpet piercing footers on the bottom. Adding the other shelves was easier, but really is a two person job. There is little tolerance in the holes for the rods so the shelf has to be level and come down equally on all 6 rods. I held the shelf on my extended arms on either side of the center holes, and lowered them onto the rack. Due to the little tolerance if it got just the slightest bit off from being level it would jam, and I would start cursing. I can’t print what I said since that would close this thread.

Finally, everything was together, and I have to say it looks great compared to the old rack. It is solid as a rock, and it is hard to detect any vibrations on the shelves. All I had to do on the previous rack was place my hand on it and I could feel vibrations. If there are vibrations now they are hard to detect. Also, now that the sides are open the sound appears more open and engaging with a much clearer focus of instruments in the sound stage. I really hoped this would occur, and it appears to be so. I don’t think I am doing a placebo effect here. It really is more open and precise.

While the overall height is lower than the previous rack, there is more room between shelves for the gear. This really helps the amps which get hotter than Hades. The drawback is it is harder to do cable management behind it since there is no moving the rack to get back there, but I did do a reasonable job of at least getting signal and speaker cables to cross the power cables at 90 degrees.

I only have two minor complaints, and both will soon be resolved. First is that four of the brass support/locking rings would not thread onto the rods. Replacements are on the way, and next week I need to remove the top shelf, and add the missing pieces. Second issue is there is a lingering odor from the rosewood stain. This is already diminishing and should soon be gone.

After one day I am really happy with this rack. It looks much better, and more important, it sounds great. I think I will order a 3 shelf version for the HT, but with only two inch shelves and 36 inch rods. I feel my entry level system just moved up a notch. Now it is time to do a pre-amp and amp upgrade to compliment the rack. It never ends.

Gear:

Amps (2) - Cambridge Audio 840W, 800w/ch at 4 ohm
    Preamp - Cambridge Audio 840E
    SACD - Sony XA-5400ES
    Digital source - Bryston BDP1 digital file player
    DAC - Bryston BDA1
    Power conditioner - Shunyata Triton

Speakers:
    Aerial Acoustic 7T - 4 ohm

Cables:
    MIT S1.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Shunyata Anaconda Ztron speaker cables
    Shunyata Python Ztron digital cable
    Shunyata Python Ztron 20 amp power cable for AC input to the Triton
    Shunyata Python CX 20 amp power cables (2) for amps
    Shunyata Cobra Ztron power cables for pre, SACD, digital source, and DAC.

AC:
    20 amp dedicated line
    Shunyata SR71 AC duplex.

Miscellaneous:
    Acoustic Revive RR77
    Mapleshade speaker stands - 4", rosewood, brass carpet piercing footers.
    Mapleshade Micropoint brass footers
    Audio Advisor brass Sonic Saucers for footers

Click image for larger version

Name:	old_rack.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	83664Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	83665Click image for larger version

Name:	build_rack.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	83666Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_front.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	83667Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_top.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	83668Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_left.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	83669Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_cat.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	83670
    Last edited by BlueFox; 04-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

That is a thing of beauty! Congratulations!

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Looks like an upgrade for sure!

Much better!

I forgot to mention if anyone wants the old rack then show up with a 12 pack and it is yours. I'll throw in a pair of SDA 2 speakers also. I am running out of room.

Very nice setup,I like the rosewood color.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I forgot to mention if anyone wants the old rack then show up with a 12 pack and it is yours. I'll throw in a pair of SDA 2 speakers also. I am running out of room.
    Looks awesome nice stuff, I will be down in San Diego visiting my mom in a few months. I would head north and bring a case of your choice for those SDA 2's. I would have to pass on the old school entertainment center as I have one similiar to that one.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Second issue is there is a lingering odor from the rosewood stain.
    It's not the stain, it's the clear coat gassing off.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    Looks awesome nice stuff, I will be down in San Diego visiting my mom in a few months. I would head north and bring a case of your choice for those SDA 2's. I would have to pass on the old school entertainment center as I have one similiar to that one.
    It's a package deal. The SDAs are a bonus for taking the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    It's not the stain, it's the clear coat gassing off.
    Great. Between me gassing off and the rack gassing off I have my own WMDs here.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Beautilful rack !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Great. Between me gassing off and the rack gassing off I have my own WMDs here.
    LOL...

Your new rack is a big improvement, congrats.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Nice rig and rack.

Very nice looking, I like how it's all open and thick shelves..
    Very cool

Nice one.. It sure does look pretty heavy. Enjoy.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

looks like you're trying to make mapleshade rich looks great.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    looks like you're trying to make mapleshade rich looks great.
    LOL. So true, the same for Shunyata. That is what happens when a vendor offers a superior product at a lower price point than the competition.

Very nice.
    Entry level? That's funny.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    marantz 6005
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun

Looks real nice.

I like that rack design, lots of space. It looks clean and tidy too. Cool looking cat in the last pic.

Very nice rack and nice set-up Blue! Enjoy.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Very nice, great setup! Enjoy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Whew! That's pretty.

A million times better than what you had.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Thanks everyone. There doesn't seem to be much love for the Macy's Home Entertainment rack. I guess I had it for so long I never really looked at it anymore. However, I can't stop looking at the new rack. I am really pleased with this purchase, plus it is easy to show off to guests. The break-in process is moving along, and soon I will have a few hundred hours on it.

I only have two minor complaints, and both will soon be resolved. First is that four of the brass support/locking rings would not thread onto the rods. Replacements are on the way, and next week I need to remove the top shelf, and add the missing pieces. Second issue is there is a lingering odor from the rosewood stain. This is already diminishing and should soon be gone.
    Just a quick follow up on these items. I received the 4 new brass nuts yesterday, and installed them. Also, the odor has dissipated and is no longer noticeable. The drawback to it is I just ordered the latest Bryston BDA2 DAC to improve the sound from the new rack.

Now that's a nice rack.

Awesome piece of kit that. My wife fell in love with the flexi-style racks and has me planning and building one for a section of wall in the kitchen to go from floor to ceiling using maple/birch to match our cabinets.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Very nice, love the look and very functional, good choice. A new rack is also on my "to do list"
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Great rack there BlueFox!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Thread Information