Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Rogue Audio Pharoh hybrid integrated

Hi,

Has anyone heard this unit? I haven't found much in the ways of reviews for this amp. Any thoughts? It would be powering Sony SS-M9s

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I can't speak for the Hybrid Integrated Amps. that Rogue is building, but I can attest to the build quality and performance of the Cronus Magnum Integrated.

Rogue makes a great product with even better customer support, akin to Polk Audio. Mark and Nick are very quick to respond to any inquires, I just ordered a new quad of tubes and a new cover for the Cronus yesterday.

I've had four pieces of Rogue gear over the years and have two in the mix now, I enjoy the Rogue sound and will continue to move up the Rogue ladder as time goes on. I highly recommend their equipment without reservation, I don't think you can go wrong.

Here's a good looking unit if you haven't seen it already http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...ntegrated_amp/ Good luck!
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Basically a digital amp with tubed pre. Knowing Rogue, they don't do anything half-assed so I wouldn't hesitate to give it a whirl. Not sure it will have the headroom of the monos you currently have, but certainly worth a listen if you plan on consolidating gear.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Class D does not always mean it's a digital amp, they're not one in the same.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

There are others I've researched at the same price point - Wyred 4 Sound STI-500, Krell 400i, there's a Simaudio (not the I7, the one right below that integrated), and a few others. I'm guessing the A/B amps are still more highly regarded over the Class D amps?

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
    There are others I've researched at the same price point - Wyred 4 Sound STI-500, Krell 400i, there's a Simaudio (not the I7, the one right below that integrated), and a few others. I'm guessing the A/B amps are still more highly regarded over the Class D amps?

James
    A wiser fellow told me it depends. A better class A/AB design with good/high quality components may sound better than a Class D. Also it depends on the pre you pair them with too. Recently I had tried a Class D, AB and A with my class A SS pre. I preferred the AB over the D Wyreds but kept the A. It had to do with the neutrality of the AB and D, or as some might say, varying degrees of dry and sterile. YMMV.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I believe the Pharoh's design is specifically a pair of Hypex amplifier modules fed by a tube buffer no-gain input section. It's a nice design, and should sound better than most class D offerings.

Has no polkie actually heard it??? THanks for the input so far :)

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    I believe the Pharoh's design is specifically a pair of Hypex amplifier modules fed by a tube buffer....
    Yes,a pair of UcD 400's.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    I believe the Pharoh's design is specifically a pair of Hypex amplifier modules fed by a tube buffer no-gain input section. It's a nice design, and should sound better than most class D offerings.
    That's similar to what I was running, and what I will probably go back to soon. You should be familiar with that kind of setup too, if you can remember that far back... :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    That's similar to what I was running, and what I will probably go back to soon. You should be familiar with that kind of setup too, if you can remember that far back... :D
    Doesn't ring a bell...

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I don't know about the newer Rogue Hybrid Class D Integrated but I have the Rogue Tempest III Super Magnum all tube Integrated with 2 Push-Pull KT120 in each channel and can be used either Triode or UltraLinear (Tetrode) mode.

Triode about 45W and Tetrode about 90W and they sounds the same to me. UltraLinear (Tetrode) mode has juice to power almost all the speakers out there at a reasonable SPL. Has both 4 or 8 ohms output transformer tap and the most versatile int. It is one of the best equipped Int in the all Tube category. You can use it with the External Preamp if you want or use it's preamp section to power other power amps (to bi-amp your speaker) or for sub output.

But with 90wpc power output, it is not about cranking up loud super loud so if you want more power, go with the newer Rogue Hypex based Int.

If you want all to roll tubes and want to experience all Tube Int, look for the older all Tube Int and may be a bit more affordable too.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate here! Why the push to an integrated? To save "space"? How much space would you actually save? You still have equipment that will stack "vertically" so the footprint remains pretty much unchanged, you merely have a shorter stack. But you can't use the space above that stack so what's the big deal.

I'm not getting it. Also, I've seen integrateds in the 5 figure range that are the size of separate components so no space saved there.

And what is the obsession with space saving? It's not like you're living in a coffin-size room in Tokyo for business men who want to spend the night in town? You're in Pa. with I assume "plenty" of living space?

I guess what I'm saying is, I would never down size just to save space if I had something I really liked. Now if you have an itch to try something "new" something "different", that I can understand. Everyone around here gets that!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Constantine,

A mix of everything. I've read a lot on the plusses of integrated amps - less signal loss, less problems with getting a pre that works well with an amp, etc. The space issue is last, but I'm a man of convenience - I like the concept of it all in one box, as long as the sound is great. Space is an issue actually, because we're still renting a home, and looking to buy in the future. That is the least of the considerations though.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
    Has no polkie actually heard it??? THanks for the input so far :)

James
    Drive up the road and listen to it.
    Rogue is about an hour from you.
    Call ahead and i'll bet they try to accomodate you.

Ed had a pair of Sony SS-M7 ES speakers paired with some NHT subs. The M series is a great sounding speaker line from Sony!

Nothing wrong with an integrated provided it has the power you need for your speakers.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate here! Why the push to an integrated? To save "space"? How much space would you actually save? You still have equipment that will stack "vertically" so the footprint remains pretty much unchanged, you merely have a shorter stack. But you can't use the space above that stack so what's the big deal.

I'm not getting it. Also, I've seen integrateds in the 5 figure range that are the size of separate components so no space saved there.

And what is the obsession with space saving? It's not like you're living in a coffin-size room in Tokyo for business men who want to spend the night in town? You're in Pa. with I assume "plenty" of living space?

I guess what I'm saying is, I would never down size just to save space if I had something I really liked. Now if you have an itch to try something "new" something "different", that I can understand. Everyone around here gets that!

cnh
    for one you save money on fewer interconnects and power cables.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    ...go with the newer Rogue Hypex based Int.
    They are using OEM versions of the Hypex modules which allow the bypassing of the low grade onboard opamps used for input and voltage gain.So basically they are just using the switching MOSFET output stage driven by their own proprietary tube circuit.I'm not a tube o phile but would like to give it a listen.I have older revisions of these modules that unfortunately don't allow for the bypassing of the onboard opamps.
    Last edited by FTGV; 01-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I saw the Rogue Pharoh at the capital audiofest and it was very nice. I have been running a Rogue Sphinx in my two channel rig since 5/8/13 and it is a great sounding integrated amplifier.i am using a matched pair of 1958 Amperex Holland script logo 17mm long plate 12AU7's with the foil strip in the front end.the amp uses Hypex modules with a Rogue Audio regulated power supply.
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    They are using OEM versions of the Hypex modules which allow the bypassing of the low grade onboard opamps used for input and voltage gain.So basically they are just using the switching MOSFET output stage driven by their own proprietary tube circuit.I'm not a tube o phile but would like to give it a listen.I have older revisions of these modules that unfortunately don't allow for the bypassing of the onboard opamps.
    I have never heard any UcD based hypex amps. But I imagine ability to bypass the onboard opamps is a definite good thing.

Tube O Phile? :D
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Thread Information