Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default What is behind the dome in dome tweeters?

I've never taken one apart but was just wondering what exactly is behind the dome in dome tweeters?
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Air.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I ask women in strip clubs that question all the time.

OOPS....missed a "w".

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Magnet, or in better tweeters a chamber designed to help with resonances with some foam or polyfill.

http://www.speakerdesign.net/scan_sp...0_tweeter.html

Name:  035a88e72a.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  35.1 KB

http://www.wavecor.com/TW030WA05-to-...ss_section.png

http://www.wavecor.com/TW030WA05to08_exploded.png
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Depends on the tweeter.Some it will be just the top of the pole piece,some will have damping material glued to the pole piece to reduce reflections back into the dome.Dome tweets with extra rear chambers have vented pole pieces to allow the back wave passage into the chamber where it will be atleast in part absorbed by damping material.

Edit.looks like Face beat me to it.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Dark sorcery......
    Beware should you peer behind!

getting a Mr T for that one Face
    listen to Alex Jones
    Acer Laptop: the Flash works it works haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Smallies View Post
    getting a Mr T for that one Face
    Would you mind, every once in a while, posting something that makes sense, and that contributes to the discussion?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Depends on the tweeter.Some it will be just the top of the pole piece,some will have damping material glued to the pole piece to reduce reflections back into the dome.Dome tweets with extra rear chambers have vented pole pieces to allow the back wave passage into the chamber where it will be at least in part absorbed by damping material.
    As Fred alludes to "damping material" on Polk's tweeters they have a felt piece glued to the pole piece.

JBL titanium domes have foam... that usually degrades over time and gets gummy.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Name:  ring-radiator-tweeter-diagram.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  30.6 KB

Here's the cutaway of a high end compression driver.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Nice look at the phase plug, but one cannot really see the diaphragm, much less what's behind it.

Here's another cutaway view of

Note that a compression driver isn't really all that different than a direct radiating dome driver; the diaphram is dome-shaped and operates the same way - but it is loaded differently (coupled to the air in th eroom via a horn or waveguide serving as an acoustic tranformer, instead of directly coupling to the air in the room).

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...804a/page1.jpg

In most cases (but not all) the dome is "inverted" relative to its use in a typical dome tweeter. Then again, there have, over the years, been several inverted-dome direct-radiator tweeters. The best known is probably still the Burhoe (EPI/Epicure/Genesis/Burhoe) "airspring" tweeter - a nice-sounding little driver.

all the best,
    mrh

There's not a whole lot behind it.

Thanks a lot guys! Face, those pics really help, I appreciate it.
    Even though the diaphragms are small, it's amazing how fast they need to move back in forth.
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Then again, there have, over the years, been several inverted-dome direct-radiator tweeters. The best known is probably still the Burhoe (EPI/Epicure/Genesis/Burhoe) "airspring" tweeter - a nice-sounding little driver.

Back in the day Burhoes and EPI's were my first exposure to real "hi fi"speakers.Those tweets definately have a homemade look to them.I would argue that Focal are the best known manufacturer of inverted domes.They have been building them since the 80's using various dome materials through the years.Some were less than pleasant sounding however, especially the early fibreglass domes that exhibited a a nasty break up mode in the 15-17khz region IIRC.Rumour has it given the years of development the newer generations are much more refined sounding but still not everyones cup of tea.
    Last edited by FTGV; 04-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Tangband had an inverted dome for a while - there was a German (?) mfgr. with one as well. I don't recall the Focal inverted domes (or maybe I do and I am thinking they were someone else's!). The Burhoe inverted domes are pretty well behaved from an aural perspective (although I have no idea how well they measure).

Speaking of tweeters, this site is always a fun read - and given this thread's topic, might be of great interest to the OP :-)
    http://www.zaphaudio.com/ specifically: http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/ and http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    I don't recall the Focal inverted domes (or maybe I do and I am thinking they were someone else's!).
    They of course use them in their own speakers but also were main stays in Wilson Audio's speakers for a couple of decades.I believe they have now moved on to soft domes possibly sourced from Scan Speak.

Speaking of tweeters, this site is always a fun read - and given this thread's topic, might be of great interest to the OP :-)
    http://www.zaphaudio.com/ specifically: http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/ and http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/
    Zaph's site is a great resource unfortunately he does'nt update it much anymore.I even built a pair of his ZA5's that are currently serving desk top duties.The little budget Vifa neo metal dome tweet he chose for the design is quite good considering it's low cost.(purchased before the price of neodymium sky rocketed) .http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by FTGV; 04-09-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Wow! Great work on the build. I bet they sound fantastic.

When I opened up a Vifa within some older Def Tech DR7 bookshelfs I saw this, consistency was hard so I wondered if this is why they sounded harsher than I anticipated? Anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by theshawn View Post
    When I opened up a Vifa within some older Def Tech DR7 bookshelfs I saw this, consistency was hard so I wondered if this is why they sounded harsher than I anticipated? Anyway....

Makes sense. When it's hard, it's reflecting the energy back and forth instead of absorbing it. It's just foam right? I wonder what caused it to harden up. Maybe a reaction with the glue they used?

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    Makes sense. When it's hard, it's reflecting the energy back and forth instead of absorbing it. It's just foam right? I wonder what caused it to harden up. Maybe a reaction with the glue they used?

That's what I thought too, if it was meant to absorb sound then as hard as it was it wasn't absorbing much if anything. I bought them at the Salvation Army though and they looked like they'd been in someones garage for years but still cleaned up well. I have the DR7 Towers too, I wonder if removing this blob and replacing it with something else would improve those because they get bright/harsh under higher volume too and were bought at the same time.

I don't know if it started out as foam or not because it's definitely not foam now. lol

Well I emailed Def Tech about it and Chet said the substance was a bit on the harder side so I guess that shoots my theory. lol

wow you guys are great. I always enjoy reading on this forum. Thank you for some quality education. I have been here for more than a year now and since the time I joined, I certainly have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you who share good info.

Well I emailed Def Tech about it and Chet said the substance was a bit on the harder side so I guess that shoots my theory. lol
    lol. Maybe the speakers are on the brighter side of neutral. I find that increasing the distance from the listening position can really help with brighter speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    lol. Maybe the speakers are on the brighter side of neutral. I find that increasing the distance from the listening position can really help with brighter speakers.

Yeah playing with the spacing and distance helped some but they were just too fatiguing so I recently purchased some Martin Logan Motion 12 that are wonderful compared to the DR7. They were definitely on the brighter side of neutral for my tastes.

I want some martin logan motion

Many things can make a speaker sound bright or harsh, the damping behind a dome is probably the least likely culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy72206 View Post
    I want some martin logan motion
    Hurry up and get those remaining posts so you can stop thread crapping everyone to access the Flea Market!
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Yeah playing with the spacing and distance helped some but they were just too fatiguing so I recently purchased some Martin Logan Motion 12 that are wonderful compared to the DR7. They were definitely on the brighter side of neutral for my tastes.
    Then I guess there is no need to worry about the DR7 anymore. The ML's are on a different level. Congrats.

Face,
    Makes sense. I know I've heard a few people say Def Tech are on the brighter side. I've never heard them however.

Thread Information