Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Angry My 1st tube horror

Bought a 2nd hand Cayin a100-t integrated amp. The seller listed it as 9/10 but it's actually a 7/10 on agon's rating. In addition, he shipped with the tubes and cage installed which caused some additional scratches during shipping. Then I replaced the stock output tubes some NOS winged c 6550, the moment I turned on the amp, there was flare from one of the tubes which seemed to blow out one channel.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

and,, was it the tube or bias resistor or?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (24)

does the amp have any fuse protection? hopefully nothing too bad happened as sometimes tubes can go.

And I'm sorry but its stupid to ship with the tubes installed. I got my VTL's the same way and wasn't too happy as it can cause issues. I didn't have any but I've seen some other things like this happen. One just recently was on a VTL pre amp that was shipped with the tubes and the buyer got it with them rolling around and the scale wasn't followed either.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

no fuse protection so I'll have to bring it to a shop for evaluation/repair

Member Sales Rating: (17)

That thing has got to have a fuse, are you sure it doesn't? In my Jolida the first time a fuse blew I saw the light from the fuse blowing and thought it was from a tube. Did the original tubes work? Did you re-bias the amp when you changed the tubes?
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

If it has fuse protection, then it must be inside the amp. I haven't tried to open it yet as cayin noted no user serviceable inside. The original tubes worked. The right channel went dead the moment I turned on the amp so I didn't even have a chance to bias.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Chances are you had a bad tube that took out the bias resistor.

A multimeter will very the resistor and a tube tester will verify tubes function
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

When I change tubes I normally set the bias to its lowest voltage, then replace the tubes, then dial it up to what it should be. I'm not sure how long you can leave the bias really high on a tube before you have problems but with this method it never happens. Certainly you should have some amount of time before the tube goes bad. I tend to agree with the above that maybe you got a bad tube. Everyone as far as I know always fuses the power because they don't want a bad tube to take out a bunch of componets.

Thanks, madmax. Yeah, I forgot turn the bias to the lowest point before I put in the new tubes. The flare appeared the moment I turned on the amp. I will open up the amp tonight to see if there is any fuse inside.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    When I change tubes I normally set the bias to its lowest voltage, then replace the tubes, then dial it up to what it should be. I'm not sure how long you can leave the bias really high on a tube before you have problems but with this method it never happens. Certainly you should have some amount of time before the tube goes bad. I tend to agree with the above that maybe you got a bad tube. Everyone as far as I know always fuses the power because they don't want a bad tube to take out a bunch of componets.
    That's what I do as well. And I do the final set around 3am when the output voltage in my house is at it's highest between 122 and 124. Wall voltage affects the bias.
    When I got my first tube amp, I set the bias about 20 secs after power up. In less than a minute, the plate was glowing cherry red and I immediately turned it off. Any longer and it probably would have taken out the output transformers.

Brian,
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it just took out a resistor which shouldn't take long and won't cost much to repair.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thanks, organ!

that sucks

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    This is good practice! In my rookie days I swapped power tubes w/o checking the bias. One of the 4 tubes started hissing and popping after about 30 minutes. After this happened I decided to check bias and it was high on that tube. Since then I do the above.

H9

Yup, I made 2 rookie mistakes:

Bought untested tubes
    Didn't set the bias to its lowest voltage when plugging in the new power tubes

I forgot to mention one thing in my method of biasing. I start at the minimum bias -then I let warm up for about 10 minutes then bring up to 50%. After about half an hour I bring up to about 75%. At the end of an hour I bring up to full minus a few miliamps. Later on I check to see if they are still at that value and if not I tweak them. Also, the next few times I power up cold I watch to make sure they are still set correctly. If I see the bias staying higher for more than a few minutes before being completely warmed up I tweak them back.-

Name:  20130416_163659.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  478.8 KB

back in business after replacing the fuses and voltage regulator :)

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Congrats! I hope it didn't cost you too much; any financial help from the seller since they shipped it in not ideal conditions?

$144. My tube repair guy said the amp was modded with incorrect fuses which didn't work when the bad tube was installed. As a result, the blown tube also took out a couple of resistors and the voltage regulator. No help from the seller.

Name:  cayin.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  210.9 KB
    Last edited by brianle; 04-17-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Bum seller, but not too bad on the repair cost, and you have a working amp now most importantly!

Yup. He had a couple good sale feedbacks so I thought I would take a chance with him ...

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Hate it when someone sticks bigger fuses into electronics without thinking of what might happen when failure occurs.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Good to hear you have that back up and running. She's a "Beauty" for sure!

What kind of power does that put out per channel?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Nice happy ending to your horror story, now you can just kick back,relax and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Good to hear you have that back up and running. She's a "Beauty" for sure!

What kind of power does that put out per channel?

cnh
    supposed to be 100w/channel in ultra-linear and half in triode mode

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Nice happy ending to your horror story, now you can just kick back,relax and enjoy
    thanks!

Thread Information