Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Floor standing Speakers for Music only

I have been thinking about setting up a dedicated music system. I would be using tube amp to drive them. Amp would be Yaqin MC-13s. I would be strickly using this for music only since I already have dedicated HT system which include RTiA9s.

I have tried using RTi A9s for music, but did not find that good warmth that I was looking for. Budget is about 1500.00. I went for an audition and the salesman was trying to sale either Paradigm Studio 60 or Monitor Audio RX8. Well they are a bit pricy.

I have been reading about the speakers and seems to be getting more confused. The ones that I find highly rated, they don't fit my budget.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide ... Any suggestion.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The best music speakers for $1500 you will find are probably used. Do you have good options on Craigslist? Take it from me, custom built speakers can sound much better than they can be sold for; a great value for the money. For that amp, maybe a pair of KEFs or vintage Klipschs?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Yep, go used.

Magnepan 1.7's, Polk SDA's, and Polk LSiM-705's or 707's would all have my attention. :)

The Maggies might not do great with that amp though.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Not convinced a pair of LSis would be great with that amp, but SDAs should be tasty with the KT88s.

I have a pair of Linn Keilidh using a Parasound and love their sound, but not sure how they will pair with that amp. Also sometimes I use a pair of ADS L690.

Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

When I auditoned some used Vandersteens 2ce sigs I was pretty impressed. Used that would work for your budget.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Here's how I see it. If floorstanders are your thing, especially big ones, then you may need to go with a tubed pre and SS amps. Not saying that a tube amp can't do the job, just not at the level your at. Second, better cost more, your just going to have to swallow that. Third, yes...good deals on the used market can make some top gear within your reach. Since we can't listen with your ears, we can only suggest what we have heard and liked. For me, Legacy, Emerald Physics, PBN Montana, Totems, JM labs, Joseph, Salk....which btw is a great speaker for the coin. I'm sure there's more but find a speaker with the sound characteristics you like and tweek it with the associated gear and cables. Don't give up on a speaker so easily, their sound can change dramatically when given proper buddy's to play with. Just my .02

Too many of us have spent a small fortune and a huge amount of time chasing our tails in this hobby. Buy what you want and just enjoy the music. If your always focused on the next best thing, you'll never stop and this audio thing will start to become more of a nuisance than pleasure.

Guys, I am happy to see such constructive feedback/support. I really appreciate it. I guess the main reason I am more confused and indecisive is that this is my first tube amp. At this point, I did not want to spend too much money. Thanks to Darren, I got the amp at great price.

I guess the next right thing to do is to audition some. I was just trying to pick y'all's brain since I am still a newbie with tube amp. I was hoping to get some direction as far as type of speaker that might fit with this amp, although I totally agree that I am the one who will have to listen to decide. But thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Here's how I see it. If floorstanders are your thing, especially big ones, then you may need to go with a tubed pre and SS amps. Not saying that a tube amp can't do the job, just not at the level your at. Second, better cost more, your just going to have to swallow that. Third, yes...good deals on the used market can make some top gear within your reach. Since we can't listen with your ears, we can only suggest what we have heard and liked. For me, Legacy, Emerald Physics, PBN Montana, Totems, JM labs, Joseph, Salk....which btw is a great speaker for the coin. I'm sure there's more but find a speaker with the sound characteristics you like and tweek it with the associated gear and cables. Don't give up on a speaker so easily, their sound can change dramatically when given proper buddy's to play with. Just my .02

Too many of us have spent a small fortune and a huge amount of time chasing our tails in this hobby. Buy what you want and just enjoy the music. If your always focused on the next best thing, you'll never stop and this audio thing will start to become more of a nuisance than pleasure.
    High powered tubes get the job done as well or better than many SS amps do IMHO.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Legacy is nice, if you don't mind their cabinets that are only fitting for movies starring a Delorean. They sound nice, but damn, they REALLY need a new cabinet maker/designer.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

When I auditioned some used Vandersteens 2ce sigs I was pretty impressed. Used that would work for your budget. Got a pair with stands for $300 off CL several weeks ago. Nice neutral speakers. I just upgraded from a 100 watt NAD to a 200 Watt PS Audio amp & they responded nicely to the power (better quality amp too). My impression is the Vandies may not be the best rockers available. But they make acoustic & orchestral music come alive for me. Hope this helps.

Bob,
    Sure it helps. Thanks buddy. Much appreciated.

My RTA-15TLs are running off of a 30wpc hybrid tube amp.

My opinion is that they are a tremendous match. Endersshadow had to do a LOT of convincing me that I wouldn't be underpowering them. I am glad I took the plunge. While the 200wpc GFA-555 I was running them on was really nice sounding, the warmth and detail seems to have really been opened up by the hybrid tube.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

There is a pair of LSiM 705 on sale at the Polk ebay store for $2,166 a pair. If you want to stretch your budget a little.

Jump, I didn't mention it before, but you could definitely look into the Usher 6311. It should pair very nicely with that amp. My Jolida makes them sing at 50 WPC and at LSAF I had a 22 WPC Raven Nighthawk running them to "leave the room" levels with ease. They are only supposedly 87 db but they've run well off everything I've thrown at them. I even had one guy tell me that he loved the way I integrated the subs with them, "he couldn't even tell where they were". They do about everything well too, except for very poorly recorded music. Their strength is definitely dynamics though. They are also quite revealing and will make your other electronics' quality be known.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thread Information