Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Reese, Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default Speaker wiring help

    Hello Forum-I have a Sony AV 830 Reciever and here are the speakers i have R50's and Monitor 40II's along with Polk SubWoofer-My Dilemma is what is the best and safest way to wire my R50's and Monitor 40II's to my reciever..any input to this question would greatly appreciatted

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    STR-DH830 Is this the reciever you have?

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Reese, Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Yes it is-my biggest concern is making sure i stay within the ohm rating of my reciever when i wire the speakers

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Also what kind of set up are you going for ? room size, theater, music?

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Reese, Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default

    room size is 20X25---i will use with both theater and music...

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    From what I can tell it looks like all your speakers are 8ohm. They should be a pretty good match, the 50's to the front chans, the 40's to the surrond back . Trying to figure out what would be better surround rear/ front high or just the surround can only get a Spanish manual

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    lFrom what i'm reading go to the back surround . then in set up let it your using it as rear surround.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    sorry let it know your using it as rear surround.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Reese, Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I will try this-would you recommend 14 gauge wire-i am looking at the Monoprice website-looks very reasonable

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Never used it. Whats on paper looks okay. I'm always carefull with buying wire on line that is no name. You can get more plastic then wire. The reviews are great and the price is very good. 14 -g should be fine. If anything go a little bigger in the front. Just my option

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Walled Lake,Mi
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Are you running in wall,floor, or ceiling?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Reese, Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Under the floor

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    823

    Default

    RF, welcome to Club Polk. You didn't say how many Monitor 40IIs you have. Assuming you have two of them, they have to be wired to the surround(not rear surround)terminals in your receiver. If you actually have four of the 40IIs rather than two, then two of them can be wired as rear surrounds, but the side surrounds("surrounds")have to come first.

    The 14ga wire from MonoPrice should be fine unless your run to the surrounds would be longer than about 40 feet. The wire to the front R50s can be smaller than 14ga because the distance to them is shorter, but simply for convenience you can use the same wire for all speakers.

    The impedance of the speakers is set by their internal wiring and how you wire them externally doesn't change that. There's no reason for you to have a concern in your situation about the impedance of your speakers. Your receiver can handle them well.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,418

    Default

    I will try this-would you recommend 14 gauge wire-i am looking at the Monoprice website-looks very reasonable
    If you don't mind the copper turning green, by all means buy those.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    If you want quality cable at a decent price, the Audioquest Flex series cable is fantastic as is Canare Star Quad.
    I would also recommend Blue Jeans Cable. They use Canare and Belden and sell both of those options in bulk as well as their house brand.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    If you don't mind the copper turning green, by all means buy those.
    Might turn green if exposed to the air, humidity, salt?? explain please
    TU

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    If you don't mind the copper turning green, by all means buy those.
    I have some 3 year old Monoprice 14AWG. Purchased 1/10/2010 to be exact. Just thought an OP would like some honesty.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130417_092935[1].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	84158
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Habanero Monk; 04-17-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    So hot it burns twice

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Jesse isn't lying. Several threads on here about various varieties of Monoprice cable turning green or oxidizing.
    That isn't to say that yours did or didn't, just that he wasn't just pulling some random claim out of his ass.

    Maybe you should try doing some searches both here and on Google before claiming someone is misleading someone else...

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...=1#post1899272
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...olor-over-time.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/arch...t-134739.html?
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....252354/page-5
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc.../t-337285.html
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108306.0

    And those were just quick searches here and Google.

    Fact is, ANY copper cable can oxidize or corrode if it is exposed to the right type of environment.
    Does that mean that if the OP goes with Monoprice it will *definitely* corrode? Not at all. Nor does it mean that any other cable product wouldn't corrode if in the right conditions for it to do so.
    But *fact* is, you hear more about Monoprice cable corroding or turning green than you do higher quality options such as Audioquest, Canare or Belden.

    Calling someone a liar out of hand without anything to back up your claim is petty and childish.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosedagain View Post
    Might turn green if exposed to the air, humidity, salt?? explain please
    TU
    Copper will oxidize if exposed to air and moisture.
    That's why "99.9% Oxygen Free Copper" is such a good selling point. It is a claim that says that with virtually no oxygen within the copper itself, it won't oxidize from the inside out.
    Other factors that will cause copper to oxidize revolve around air and humidity. *Most* manufacturers use processes that expel air and mositure from the jacket as it is being wrapped around the conductors.
    A lot of people don't properly terminate and protect the cable from being exposed to these elements.
    Just stripping the jacket and shoving the cable into a screw terminal exposes the copper conductors to the air and humidity. If it is slightly damp, oxidation will start to form. Once it has starts, it can work its way into the jacket of the cable and farther up the conductor being fed oxygen and moisture from the exposed end.

    This is the primary reason that I will "tin" the exposed end of a cable with solder and then use shrink tube over any connections or bare wire. It won't completely prevent it but it will hamper the oxygen and moisture combination a bit.
    Some speaker cables use chemical treatments for their vinyl jacketing that will break down over time too. This actually produces acids that will cause the copper to oxidize as well.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Thanks for the tutorial, appreciated, now I know why I was suggested to use shrink tube, but not heard of soldering the tips, will do both. a noob-geek trying to find his way

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

    Maybe you should try doing some searches both here and on Google before claiming someone is misleading someone else...

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...=1#post1899272
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...olor-over-time.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/arch...t-134739.html?
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....252354/page-5
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc.../t-337285.html
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108306.0

    And those were just quick searches here and Google.

    Fact is, ANY copper cable can oxidize or corrode if it is exposed to the right type of environment.
    Does that mean that if the OP goes with Monoprice it will *definitely* corrode? Not at all. Nor does it mean that any other cable product wouldn't corrode if in the right conditions for it to do so.
    But *fact* is, you hear more about Monoprice cable corroding or turning green than you do higher quality options such as Audioquest, Canare or Belden.

    Calling someone a liar out of hand without anything to back up your claim is petty and childish.
    All I know is I have 3+ year old Mono Price and I just posted a pic of copper that is non-oxidized. I would urge the OP to go with the CL Rated In-wall. It's affordable and as everyone can see still in perfect condition.

    So may be that you have to get a particular type.

    As to the liar portion: Find out where I called anyone a liar. I said I thought the OP would like some honesty.

    Not only did I post a few pics. They now know the exact cable that they cantget, that is WAY past 2 years old, and still in pristine shape.

    It's called not painting everything with the same brush (green this time).
    Last edited by Habanero Monk; 04-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    So hot it burns twice

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    So may be that you have to get a particular type.

    As to the liar portion: Find out where I called anyone a liar. I said I thought the OP would like some honesty.

    Not only did I post a few pics. They now know the exact cable that they cantget, that is WAY past 2 years old, and still in pristine shape.

    It's called not painting everything with the same brush (green this time).
    Honesty suggests that someone, in this case F1nut, was not being honest. What is the definition of dishonesty? Hmm...lies maybe? You tried to insinuate that Jesse was purposely misleading the OP which translates by ANY definition of the word into you calling him a liar. Try to weasel out of it any way you want, but you damned yourself. Not me.

    As for the "particular type", you obviously did not actually look into the threads I linked because you would have seen that it was both the CL rated wire AND the clear jacketed wire. Again, you are damning yourself.

    I also specifically stated that *your* wire may be perfect but it is not *always* the case. So it appears that, again, *you* are the one trying to paint things with broad generalized strokes instead of taking note that I stated very clearly that ozidation isn't always going to take place even when another user may have experienced it with the exact same product another did not.

    Congratulations on your cable not having any issues. You are one argument *for*.
    I posted links to 6 separate individuals who did not experience the same good fortune that you did.
    And those 6 links were found within the first page of each the Polk Audio search for and the Google search for "Monorice speaker wire turning green". I felt that the dozens of pages of returns from both searches may have been over-proving my point.

    TL;DR, You had good luck with a particular product. MANY others did not.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,418

    Default

    I don't use a brush, I use a spray gun. A very expensive one at that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Honesty suggests that someone,
    I'll fix this for you: Not say all cables from brand x/y/z are going to turn green. You have a link for the CL2 rated turning green?
    So hot it burns twice

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Are you incapable of googling for more examples?
    And there are at least 2 examples linked above if you take the time to actually read through the posts.

    Look, it is obvious that you can't admit that you were blatantly wrong and were simply looking for an opportunity to attempt to impune Jesse's comment. The burden of proof lies with the challenger. I challenged your assertion. I provided proof as well as a means to find even more proof. You are now trying to find a way to make yourself look right when anyone reading this thread can see that you are not.

    With that said, I wash my hands of this pointless drivel. You are more than capable of finding the information yourself. I even handed you all of the correct tools to do so.
    I responded to the OPs concerns with fact and evidence.
    You responded to the OP with "Jesse is a liar, *I* haven't had any problems".
    I rebutted with more fact and evidence.
    You rebutted with "Nuh uh!"
    You, sir, are a child. Moreover, a vindictive child with nary the sense to see when you have been proven wrong time and time again and should simply bow out, or more appropriately, admit when you are wrong.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Are you incapable of googling for more examples?
    And there are at least 2 examples linked above if you take the time to actually read through the posts.

    Look, it is obvious that you can't admit that you were blatantly wrong and were simply looking for an opportunity to attempt to impune Jesse's comment. The burden of proof lies with the challenger. I challenged your assertion. I provided proof as well as a means to find even more proof. You are now trying to find a way to make yourself look right when anyone reading this thread can see that you are not.

    With that said, I wash my hands of this pointless drivel. You are more than capable of finding the information yourself. I even handed you all of the correct tools to do so.
    I responded to the OPs concerns with fact and evidence.
    You responded to the OP with "Jesse is a liar, *I* haven't had any problems".
    I rebutted with more fact and evidence.
    You rebutted with "Nuh uh!"
    You, sir, are a child. Moreover, a vindictive child with nary the sense to see when you have been proven wrong time and time again and should simply bow out, or more appropriately, admit when you are wrong.
    Or post pics of pristine 3+ year old MonoPrice cable. Anybody can take any brand and go on the internet find problems. People never report the stuff that goes right.

    None of your links I could find directly talk about the in-wall stuff. Some of those threads actually say the MonoPrice In-wall is THE speaker cable to go with from them (not the clear jacketed stuff however).

    The closest is http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc.../t-337285.html where a member had the CL2 rated cable that is still shiny after 2.5 + years.

    So thanks for helping make my point for me even though you didn't mean to.
    Last edited by Habanero Monk; 04-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    So hot it burns twice

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,418

    Default

    The fact remains, it is well known and documented that Monoprice speaker cable turns green and their HDMI cables have an extremely high rate of failure. With those indisputable facts in mind, it should give pause to any reasonable person considering the purchase of any of their products.

    There's your honesty and you would be well advised not to call me a liar again. I hope I make myself clear on that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    Or post pics of pristine 3+ year old MonoPrice cable. Anybody can take any brand and go on the internet find problems. People never report the stuff that goes right.

    None of your links I could find directly talk about the in-wall stuff. Some of those threads actually say the MonoPrice In-wall is THE speaker cable to go with from them (not the clear jacketed stuff however).

    The closest is http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc.../t-337285.html where a member had the CL2 rated cable that is still shiny after 2.5 + years.

    So thanks for helping make my point for me even though you didn't mean to.
    You know, the funny part is, the member you claim that was using CL2 wire makes no mention whatsoever of whether he is using CL rated wire or not.
    In fact, CL rating isn't mentioned anywhere in his post...
    woofersus12-09-2010, 06:10 AM
    I'd change them too. We could argue the benefit of cheap wire vs expensive wire for years and not come to a full agreement, but corroded wire will surely have substandard measurables. (resistance/inductance/capacitance) Even if the affect on your sound is subtle enough not for you not to hear it or maybe just subtle enough not to matter, it will only get worse with time. Remember, electrons travel along the SURFACE of the strands!

    I had some wire that I bought at Lowes do that years ago, and it only took about 2 years to be fully statue-of-liberty green. My current surrounds are wired up with Monoprice speaker wire, which so far has remained shiny and orange (~2.5yrs) but I've heard reports of that turning green too. When I redo the living room and move all the wiring in-wall, I'm definitely going to spring for something a little better, and not in a clear jacket. At least it's just my surrounds now. I have nice cables for the front stage.
    In fact, if he *is* referring to CL rated wire from Monoprice, he even admits to having heard of instances where it turned green.

    Nice try though. I understand your need to have the last word, but if you could, you should always strive for a last word that *doesn't* make you look like a sniveling child who just got spanked. In your case...you failed.

    I await your next easily disproved rebuttal. A battle of wits with an unarmed opponent really is no challenge at all.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The fact remains, it is well known and documented that Monoprice speaker cable turns green and their HDMI cables have an extremely high rate of failure. With those indisputable facts in mind, it should give pause to any reasonable person considering the purchase of any of their products.

    There's your honesty and you would be well advised not to call me a liar again. I hope I make myself clear on that.
    Isn't that dependant on how many HDMI cables they sell? I mean Toyota is going to have more repairs then Volvo if you don't want to take into consideration the relative #'s sold.
    So hot it burns twice

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    According to JD Power, no. Toyota will have far fewer repairs versus Volvo.
    112 problems per 100 vehicles for Toyota compared to 149 problems per 100 vehicles for Volvo.

    http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

    The same goes for cables.
    (These statements are arbitrary and not fact. They are based on a comparison of ratings on Amazon...50 ratings of Monoprice HDMI cables versus 50 ratings of Audioquest HDMI cables)
    If we compare the 2, we can surmise, based on customer reviews, that Audioquest produces a better, less fail-prone product than Monorpice. There are a far greater number of 1 star and 2 star ratings for the Monoprice cables than there are for the Audioquest cables where there is a greater ratio of 4 and 5 star ratings.

    You are correct that far less people talk about the good experiences than the bad. But you also have to concede that there are far more instances of people complaining about failures in Monoprice cables than there are people complaining of failure in Audioquest, Canare, Belden, Blue Jeans Cable, etc.

    Another example are interconnects. If you compare a "premium" Monoprice interconenct to an Audioquest "low end" interconnect, you will see that while Audioquest uses 2 leads for signal and ground along with shielding or a "drain" if you will, the Monoprice cable is constructed of RG5 where a single signal conductor is used and the shielding doubles as the ground.

    Anyway, this has all gone off on a tangent. The OP has his answers and options. The thread no longer serves any valid purpose aside from an internet pissing contest which you are free to "win" all you want.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Speaker Wiring
    By BobbyG52 in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
  2. Speaker wiring from amp
    By cechilds in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
  3. Help w/Speaker Wiring
    By beardog03 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
  4. speaker wiring
    By seis in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 10:01 PM
  5. speaker wiring
    By dougie07 in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts