Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default Vintage Fisher XP-9B Speaker System w/manual, Nakamichi BX-150 Cassette Deck

I received these as part of the package deal in my Yamaha CR-1040 receiver score (all from the original owner), and I'm offering them up for someone who is interested in them....

I am going to offer the speakers and the original manual up for "karma" here and on the Audiokarma and Klipsch Forums. After a few days to a week (at my descretion), I am going to pick a winner. This will be based mostly on LOCATION as I will not ship these items, and/or willingness for someone to pay for my fuel to meet up with them. Or, you may drive to my home and pick them up yourself, for free...

I am looking for a quality SACD or universal disc player for a backup, if anyone has one they'd like to give me for my time and effort here, that would be very much appreciated...

I have been laid off for nearly 4 months now, and I am now strongly considering fullfilling a lifelong dream of working for myself and owning my own stereo equipment (now mostly vintage)/record store. All my life, I have been a music lover and stereo equipment afficianado. And in 3 months from tomorrow I'll turn 50, and I believe it is time for me to live my American Dream. I have "limited" knowledge of electonic equipment repair, so I'd be looking to hire a tech for any repairs needed for the vintage gear. Other than that, I'd run the place myself. I've been told all my life that I should be a stereo salesman or professional disc jockey or similar, and I agree. It's never too late to start!!

Anyhow, if interested in the speakers and/or the Nakamichi (needs some repair), post here or PM me...

Attachment 84091Attachment 84093Attachment 84092Attachment 84094Attachment 84095Attachment 84096Attachment 84102Attachment 84101Attachment 84100Attachment 84099Attachment 84103
    Last edited by Rick88; 04-16-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Nakamichi BX-150. I suppose I could ship this at someone's expense if need be. Like I said it does need some repair, but it is a solid and well built unit...

Attachment 84104Attachment 84105Attachment 84106Attachment 84108Attachment 84110Attachment 84112Attachment 84113

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Oops, I forgot to post this pic. As you can see, the speakers are missing the grill badges, but other than that they are in good to very good condition for their age (made 1968-1970):

Attachment 84117

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Rick, a wise man told me many years ago to figure out what it is that I love to do and I would be successful at it. He was right. I encourage you to follow your dream.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Rick, a wise man told me many years ago to figure out what it is that I love to do and I would be successful at it. He was right. I encourage you to follow your dream.
    Jesse, thanks a million for the kind words of encouragement and wisdom...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Rick, I concur with F1, I would also encourage you to follow the path with heart. You know your music, no question whatsoever!

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Good luck Rick and have a good time doing something you enjoy.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Those are some "very" nice looking vintage loudspeakers. 60 lbs. each, WOW! That's build quality. The woofers have 6 lb magnets? Impressive!

And most good techs can repair a cassette deck in no time. It's usually just a DeoxIt bath and minor "belt" replacement with a few adjustments.

Following one's dreams is a wonderful thing to do, but not an easy one in a country where some dreams are more profitable than others? I know my tech pretty well. He's been in the business for over 20 years, and occasionally sells vintage stuff he's repaired. He makes an OK living, I wouldn't say he's rolling in the greenbacks but he seems happy. Getting a good tech and fronting a store, is a formidable enterprise. But no one is stopping you. I wish you well. But it ain't gonna be easy in this economy. You might want to think about what the "market" looks like in your area, consider a website and internet sales and service as well as ANY OTHER avenue that can BROADEN your customer base. Even buying mailing lists of individuals who subscribe to Audio related mags and journals and doing a mailing/e-mail campaign. And so on.

Otherwise, GLWTS!

And Good Luck!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 04-16-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Thanks fellas, I'll keep all advise for consideration... It is much appreciated...

cnh,

As far as the cassette deck, a quick google search gave me a good idea of what is wrong with the Nakamichi. It appears that this model is known to develop issues with the capstain motors going bad or something. I think there's a good chance that is the issue here. I may take it apart this evening to look inside. It is a well built deck, and I bet is sounds pretty good...

The speakers are definitely built well. I am sure they will need some crossover work, and surrounds for the woofers and/or midrange drivers (if they are in fact foam). I probably won't remove the grills to give them a look, instead I'll leave them unmolested for the new owner...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Rick good luck in your future endeavors buddy! I'd love to be able to do that. Hell I wish someone local to me had a shop like that. Sorry about the layoff. I know it sucks badly! I went through that a few years back myself.
    --Gary--

Good luck with your dream, Rick! I'm probably going to be giving up a good paying career soon in an attempt to follow mine.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
    Good luck with your dream, Rick! I'm probably going to be giving up a good paying career soon in an attempt to follow mine.
    That's the spirit! Life is too short to slave away for someone else. I left my field of 17 years to simultaneously pursue school and a hunting club and have not looked back. Blood pressure has gone down, I haven't missed a kids ball game and couldn't be happier. Dreams man! Dreams. You gotta chase 'em or they are just lucid hallucinations.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

good luck with your your dream Rick....I did ask my friend on these speakers (same one about Energy RC10)....
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5 - Sub SUB-1200
    2Ch system: MC2105, C-26, AR-XA, MR-80, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Good luck Rick.

Thread Information