Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default Polk DiY 'frankensteins'

    anyone out there tried buying some parts from fleabay to make some polk variations?

    i'm wondering how a 7C setup in a slanted cabinet like a thiel would sound?

    or even taking a monitor 10 setup and making it like one of the 'modern' slimline mtm towers w/ side mounted pr?




  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jestwaitn View Post
    anyone out there tried buying some parts from fleabay to make some polk variations?

    i'm wondering how a 7C setup in a slanted cabinet like a thiel would sound?

    or even taking a monitor 10 setup and making it like one of the 'modern' slimline mtm towers w/ side mounted pr?



    I had SDA CRS+ drivers in 10B cabinets and they sounded really good. I used them for a year or so until I could find some SDA 2Bs. The 2Bs have better bass but the SDA CRS+10B hybrid is not bad at all. And best of all the modifications can all be reversed without damaging anything in either set of speakers.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    I had SDA CRS+ drivers in 10B cabinets and they sounded really good. I used them for a year or so until I could find some SDA 2Bs. The 2Bs have better bass but the SDA CRS+10B hybrid is not bad at all. And best of all the modifications can all be reversed without damaging anything in either set of speakers.
    thanks for the reply. moving the CRS to the monitor 10 cabs seems like a 'logical progression'. cool.

    someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. i was wondering about them.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jestwaitn View Post
    thanks for the reply. moving the CRS to the monitor 10 cabs seems like a 'logical progression'. cool.

    someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. i was wondering about them.
    Sounds like a reasonable price to me if you want a pair of 2Bs. Better grab them if your interested. I don't know about your area but they don't show up often around here.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Doesn't the sda crs use the same drivers as the 10b anyways.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    768

    Default

    The 10Bs I owned had 2-6503 MWs in each cabinet.
    My CRS+ I own have 1-6510 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.
    My 2Bs I own have 1-6503 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.

    As you can see they all have a lot in common. The 2Bs use a 12" PR where the other 2 use a 10" PR.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate S.C.
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jestwaitn View Post
    thanks for the reply. moving the CRS to the monitor 10 cabs seems like a 'logical progression'. cool.

    someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. I was wondering about them.
    Man I would be all over that if I was wanting some SDA's. 2B's are some of the best SDA's IMO. Offer them $200 and go from there but 250 isn't bad, it's just not great. I paid $225 for my 2A's because I wanted them really bad.

    Some of the RTA tower types could prob benefit from more modern cabinets easily and some of the Monitors that are do not use the side by side mids. Adjusting the cabs for models with side by side mids to a MTM setup would require some good working knowledge of crossovers and some changes in that area as well I believe, not just the cabinets.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    The 10Bs I owned had 2-6503 MWs in each cabinet.
    My CRS+ I own have 1-6510 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.
    My 2Bs I own have 1-6503 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.

    As you can see they all have a lot in common. The 2Bs use a 12" PR where the other 2 use a 10" PR.
    Okay, I was just going by the drivers in my 10B's they are stamped SDA CRS on the magnets.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Karma Polk Audio SR229 10" Passive Radiators - Signed by Matt Polk
    By dorokusai in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
  2. For Sale Polk M70 series II towers and Polk CS2 center channel (Missouri)
    By slammin86 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
  3. For Sale Carver Platinum mkIV Amazing speakers, Polk SDA IC, Sound Lab PX Millenium, Polk Spks
    By reeltrouble1 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
  5. Polk rt800i,cs400i,f/x500 polk surround speaker system
    By hoosier21 in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts