Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk DiY 'frankensteins'

anyone out there tried buying some parts from fleabay to make some polk variations?

i'm wondering how a 7C setup in a slanted cabinet like a thiel would sound?

or even taking a monitor 10 setup and making it like one of the 'modern' slimline mtm towers w/ side mounted pr?

Quote Originally Posted by jestwaitn View Post
    anyone out there tried buying some parts from fleabay to make some polk variations?

i'm wondering how a 7C setup in a slanted cabinet like a thiel would sound?

or even taking a monitor 10 setup and making it like one of the 'modern' slimline mtm towers w/ side mounted pr?

I had SDA CRS+ drivers in 10B cabinets and they sounded really good. I used them for a year or so until I could find some SDA 2Bs. The 2Bs have better bass but the SDA CRS+10B hybrid is not bad at all. And best of all the modifications can all be reversed without damaging anything in either set of speakers.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    I had SDA CRS+ drivers in 10B cabinets and they sounded really good. I used them for a year or so until I could find some SDA 2Bs. The 2Bs have better bass but the SDA CRS+10B hybrid is not bad at all. And best of all the modifications can all be reversed without damaging anything in either set of speakers.
    thanks for the reply. moving the CRS to the monitor 10 cabs seems like a 'logical progression'. cool.

someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. i was wondering about them.

thanks for the reply. moving the CRS to the monitor 10 cabs seems like a 'logical progression'. cool.

someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. i was wondering about them.
    Sounds like a reasonable price to me if you want a pair of 2Bs. Better grab them if your interested. I don't know about your area but they don't show up often around here.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp

Doesn't the sda crs use the same drivers as the 10b anyways.

The 10Bs I owned had 2-6503 MWs in each cabinet.
    My CRS+ I own have 1-6510 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.
    My 2Bs I own have 1-6503 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.

As you can see they all have a lot in common. The 2Bs use a 12" PR where the other 2 use a 10" PR.
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp

someone local had some Polk 2B on fleabay for $250 that didn't sell. I was wondering about them.
    Man I would be all over that if I was wanting some SDA's. 2B's are some of the best SDA's IMO. Offer them $200 and go from there but 250 isn't bad, it's just not great. I paid $225 for my 2A's because I wanted them really bad.

Some of the RTA tower types could prob benefit from more modern cabinets easily and some of the Monitors that are do not use the side by side mids. Adjusting the cabs for models with side by side mids to a MTM setup would require some good working knowledge of crossovers and some changes in that area as well I believe, not just the cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    The 10Bs I owned had 2-6503 MWs in each cabinet.
    My CRS+ I own have 1-6510 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.
    My 2Bs I own have 1-6503 stereo MW and 1-6511 dimensional MW in each cabinet.

As you can see they all have a lot in common. The 2Bs use a 12" PR where the other 2 use a 10" PR.
    Okay, I was just going by the drivers in my 10B's they are stamped SDA CRS on the magnets.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

Thread Information