Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default will this hookup be possible?

hi everyone...i hv a 2 channel amplifier and intend to purchase a subwoofer(so far strong signal on the radar is the PSW110) to take off the lows of my bookshelf speakers.i intend to connect it via speaker wire thru the subs speaker in/outputs.will the following be possible?amp(45W per ch) to subwoofer(continuous-100W,dynamic-200W) and to speakers(max 50W).

another qn is:is the amp feeding power to my bookshelf speakers or is the subwoofer feeding power to the main speakers..thanks so much in advance polk fans!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsouza77 View Post
    hi everyone...i hv a 2 channel amplifier and intend to purchase a subwoofer(so far strong signal on the radar is the PSW110) to take off the lows of my bookshelf speakers.i intend to connect it via speaker wire thru the subs speaker in/outputs.will the following be possible?amp(45W per ch) to subwoofer(continuous-100W,dynamic-200W) and to speakers(max 50W).

another qn is:is the amp feeding power to my bookshelf speakers or is the subwoofer feeding power to the main speakers..thanks so much in advance polk fans!
    sorry...to add,with this kind of connection,which volume knob controls all the speakers?the poewer amp or the sub...thanks again..

That sub has it's own built in amplifier. The amp you have will only send a signal to the sub, but the sub will use no power from it. It is it's own independant sub-system.

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post
    That sub has it's own built in amplifier. The amp you have will only send a signal to the sub, but the sub will use no power from it. It is it's own independant sub-system.
    Hi rp65..are the power ratings of the components acceptable to be connected together?thanks for the info again..:)

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll give it a shot. If on the back of your reciever/amp/avr you have a sub out, connect the sub there. If your other speakers are running fine currently, nothing will change. There will be no added stress to your amp. If your amp has a speaker set up program, allow it to control volumn for speaker matching, other wise you will have to adjust the sub.

The sub will have every connection diagrahm that currently exists.

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post
    Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll give it a shot. If on the back of your reciever/amp/avr you have a sub out, connect the sub there. If your other speakers are running fine currently, nothing will change. There will be no added stress to your amp. If your amp has a speaker set up program, allow it to control volumn for speaker matching, other wise you will have to adjust the sub.

The sub will have every connection diagrahm that currently exists.
    Hi again. Dat means the 45w from the amp will be fed indirectly to the main speakers via the sub speaker in/outs?does it work that way?thanks so much again..

As far as I know the speaker terminals act like a line output converter. Meaning only the low frequency is "stripped" from the speaker cable and sent to the sub amp while the mids and highs are passed through to your speakers

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Your 2 channel amp will provide the power to your bookshelf speakers via a pass thru on the sub. The sub will provide it's own power thru it's built-in amp. The setting on the sub crossover will determine which frequencies go to the main speakers. Use the volume on the sub to control the sub volume level. Once it is set you don't need to touch it again. Use the voulme on the 2 channel amp to control the sub and speakers together. The power ratings are not important.
    Main system: Proton AA-1150, Yamaha C-4, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Nakamichi CR-1A, Marantz CD5003, Squeezebox Classic, Music Hall dac25.2, Dual 1229/Denon DL-303, Music Hall MMF-5.1/Goldring 1042, Pro-Ject Speed Box II, Sennheiser HD600, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Monitor Audio FB-210

HT: Sony KV-36FS100, Yamaha RX-V800, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Marantz DV6001, Polk Audio RT55i, RTi38, CS400i, (2) PSW450

Carl is correct. I am not positive that the psw110 has a built in high-pass which filters out the lower frequencies from going to your monitors, but it will does at least have a low pass. It should work, though as always better options exist. I always encourage people to go used. I have purchased about 15 different powered subwoofers over the years, only 2 were new, and I have never had a single problem with any. I will highly recommened this http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sub...-theater-06037 over the polk.

Good luck!
    HT Rig:
    Mains, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling
    Center - Polk cs400i
    Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling
    Sub - SVS PB10-ISD
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018ah-k
    Server - Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Blu-ray - Sony BDP-S390
    DVR - DirecTV Genie + AM21
    Display - Samsung PN43E450 Plasma

Two Channel PC Rig (In progress)
    Dell Studio 540s-->Pangea USB Cable-->HRT Music Streamer II DAC-->MIT AVT1-->Dayton DTA 100a-->MIT EXP2-->Polk Monitor 5 w/Peerless

Thread Information