Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default ? about dust covers

Hi guys,
    I'm still looking for that inexpensive be all end all speaker.Maybe Heritage Klipsch, Vandersteen 2ce sigs, or Polk Momtior 7s or 10s I really do not even w/all the explanation of the vaunted SDA there seems to much to know what year what model ,are they modded.IC , ect, maybe too much for me. Now many an add says nice cabinets drivers work fine BUT 1 or 2 of the dust covers are pushed in."OH.this doesn't effect the sound". Now on Klipsch KG4,Fortes, have rear passives and this happens alot. I've also seen this a thousand times on all other brands. So the question ,is there ANY degradation of sound for a pushed in dust cover.Would this be a deal breaker. I do know there are a few tricks to try to remove like vacuumm, tape or a bent pin plus cutting it out completely and reglueing.If in fact either grill is on and never seen or rear facing passive and never seen is this a go or no go.
    BTW I do own Klipsch smalls so I ask here 1st. Here the daily turn over of info is astounding and much quicker and clearly more to the point if posed the right way. I believe since being pounded on my couple of original posts the questions have been relavent mostly on point and answered in a timely manner which I do appreciate and is why although not a Polk owner will always ask here first.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

No, dustcovers are just that.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

To expand a bit, if it does not impead on the sound it's not an issue at all if one can live with the aesthic.

I believe they are used too keep dust out of the voice coil/magnet assembly, so I would either fix the dents or leave them alone
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm still looking for that inexpensive be all end all speaker.Maybe Heritage Klipsch, Vandersteen 2ce sigs, or Polk Momtior 7s or 10s...
    Ahem... ads L-710... ahem, cough, cough

I mean, I love my Monitor 7As, I really do... but the ads are in a different league (and sound great with even a fairly low-powered vacuum tube amp, too). They were probably more than double the cost of the 7As when they were both new... but they're pretty affordable today (I found my pair on the 'swap pile' at my favorite local emporium, e.g.). Virtually all of the braun/ads speakers were excellent; the L-710 just happens to sit in a sweet spot overall as far as I am concerned.

... Now many an add says nice cabinets drivers work fine BUT 1 or 2 of the dust covers are pushed in."OH.this doesn't effect the sound". Now on Klipsch KG4,Fortes, have rear passives and this happens alot. I've also seen this a thousand times on all other brands. So the question ,is there ANY degradation of sound for a pushed in dust cover.Would this be a deal breaker. I do know there are a few tricks to try to remove like vacuumm, tape or a bent pin plus cutting it out completely and reglueing.If in fact either grill is on and never seen or rear facing passive and never seen is this a go or no go.
    BTW I do own Klipsch smalls so I ask here 1st. Here the daily turn over of info is astounding and much quicker and clearly more to the point if posed the right way. I believe since being pounded on my couple of original posts the questions have been relavent mostly on point and answered in a timely manner which I do appreciate and is why although not a Polk owner will always ask here first.
    Generally speaking - and (gasp!) even with dome radiators - the damage is merely cosmetic, and had no consquential, audible impact - at least to my Philistine ears.
    all the best,
    mrh

I have grandkids and lots of experience with pushed in dustcaps. As others have said, the "damage" is only aesthetic.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Thread Information