Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Having owned 3 Emotiva amps now, I will respectfully disagree with KeithL.

The UPA-2 and UPA-5 I used in my HT system were definitely brighter than other amps I have or have had. So much so that while HT listening was fine, even my far from audiophile wife took notice stating that "It's harder to listen to music on the stereo downstairs."

I also have an XPA-200 that I got for a song that I listened to for about 6 hours before putting it in the closet. Same reasoning on my 2 channel system.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed them with my HT setup for watching movies. But definitely not for listening to music.

Please bear in mind that Kuntasensei also had some extremely bad luck. He purchased used amps and had failures/issues.
    His is the exception and not necessarily the rule.

I have purchased 3 Adcom GFA-555s, totalling an investment of less than $1000 shipped and have had nothing but praise for them.

I am currently running the 3 of them across my LSis and am enjoying them greatly. So much so, I will eventually be tracking down 2 more for a total of 5 to run my HT once we have built our house.

There have been some solid suggestions in this thread. And while Emo is a good entry into the world of separates, you should always "put your ears on it" before making any final decisions.
    Thanks.. that amp is now at the top of the list since its such a low cost. Ton of them on ebay and 2 would be great for now.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Please bear in mind that Kuntasensei also had some extremely bad luck. He purchased used amps and had failures/issues.
    His is the exception and not necessarily the rule.
    Yes... I obviously had extremely bad luck. And two of those were from Polkies that I know took care of their gear, so I may actually be cursed in some way that involves offending pagan audio gods - possibly due to my love for the Xanadu soundtrack. I pointed it out mostly so he knows that it's a roll of the dice. Most people make out pretty good buying used amps, especially from enthusiast sites like Audiogon or here, and the odds are good that he would fare better than me.

Also, as happy as I am with the XPA-3, compared to the Parasound and Adcom, it does tend to increase your perception of the highs, even if they claim there's no measurable reason for that. Not a knock against Emotiva... Just a matter of matching up the right gear to the right speakers to the person's preference. In my case, it works out because I'm running older Polks with more restrained tweeters and I listen to a lot of bluegrass, so I really enjoy how clean the Emotiva sounds with violin, banjo, mandolin, etc. I would honestly say it handles them much cleaner than the Adcom I had, which seemed to have a bit of grain to highs. The Parasound, however, had a nice warm tone to it in mid-bass that isn't necessarily missing from the Emotiva... but doesn't have the same character. If you're using a brighter sounding speaker, pairing it up to a brighter sounding amp might make things too harsh. We can argue accuracy (and I'm not saying that Keith's response to you is wrong), but ultimately I think it's a matter of synergy. And more to the point, ultimately you will not know if you like the sound until you get one in your home and try it. Given their return policy, I say it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario, you don't like the way it sounds and maybe you're out a little green for shipping it back or something. You may also get it and find that it's good enough for now (i.e. a "starter amp") until you can put aside more money for something better. Or, like me, you may get it and be perfectly happy with it staying in your system for the long haul.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Mind if I cut in? Hope not

anybody know this emotive

http://www.emotiveaudio.com/index2.html

Man pitdogg2, you killed my thread! lol Kidding! I don't mind. :) I'm a info junkie.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I'd call it something else. Anyway, you seriously don't know what you are missing. Still have the original crossover parts too? If so, I'll do the labor for free, you pay for the rest. If you're not thrilled with the improvement, I'll reimburse you for the parts.
    That's one hell of an offer! Shipping could make it costly.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    Shipping the c/o's wouldn't be all that much...

Yes Jesse everything is original!

Agreed Thorton even though I could afford it.

Jesse, Thank you very much for the offer, however, unless you are coming up my way I have no way to box them up and get them shipped, nor do I have the skills to do the job myself. And if I did, at 22 years old I'd be worried sick about them surviving the trips back and forth I've seen some terrifying photos on here from shipping speakers! But I do appreciate the offer. Thank you.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 04-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Yes Jesse everything is original!

Agreed Thorton even though I could afford it.

Jesse, Thank you very much for the offer, however, unless you are coming up my way I have no way to box them up and get them shipped, nor do I have the skills to do the job myself. And if I did, at 22 years old I'd be worried sick about them surviving the trips back and forth I've seen some terrifying photos on here from shipping speakers! But I do appreciate the offer. Thank you.
    You should take him up on this, it is a win/win for you as you will love it.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I have no way to box them up and get them shipped
    Not the speakers, just the crossovers.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I am up for taking that offer as well Jesse...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    Ya know the saying "ignorance is bliss"? I'm sure if I tried out a Emotiva amp I may just be happy since I don't have prior experience with anything else so my ears wont know. haha.
    You are the targeted customer.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    I don't doubt you... but what would the advantage be if I'm already not stressing that circuit? My AV gear is the only thing on that circuit as it is, so it is essentially "dedicated". Just curious what a 20 amp circuit would do when I'm not peaking above 11.5 amps at ridiculous levels.
    Is it truly dedicated, no other unused outlets on the circuit?

Anyway, a 15 amp circuit will use 14/2 wire, while a 20 amp has to use at least 12/2 or even better 10/2. So, not only are you removing any possible noise issues, you are increasing the wire gauge. Think of it as a garden hose. The larger the hose diameter, the more water will flow. Bottom line, your amps will run cooler and the sound becomes more refined.

I'm not going to switch something out just because someone else says that it should be done, especially since I don't have any problems with it. It's called thinking for myself and doing my own thing.
    Please forgive me for saying. But that seems somewhat close minded to me. I'm all for doing your own thing....but testing the waters is not a bad thing! With improvements in technology these days. Do you really find it that impossible there are no improvements or upgrades to such an old design? Reminds me of that BASF commercial..."we don't make the things you use, we make the things you use better". There are better components built these days.
    Last edited by halo71; 04-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    --Gary--

I got a response from KeithL at emotiva's forums..
    There was a famous speaker designer (sorry, I forget his name) that once made a speaker that was absolutely ruler flat. When asked how it sounded he said like crap. 'Nuff said.

Here we go..^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    ...Do you really find it that impossible there are no improvements or upgrades to such an old design? Reminds me of that BASF commercial..."we don't make the things you use, we make the things you use better". There are better components built these days.
    This is the attitude of a tweaker, I am not one. I know that there have probably been tons of improvements made to components. But I have no interest in pulling anything apart to put something new in to see if it makes it better. I'd much rather spend my time enjoying what I have. I have no interest in continually jumping down an endless rabbit hole in search of something better.

For those of you who like to do this, that's great, go for it. I'm not.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Would running mono amps for the front/center be a good return on the sound investment or a waste?
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Just because they're monoblocks doesn't mean they'll sound any better than a 2 or 5 channel amp.

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Just because they're monoblocks doesn't mean they'll sound any better than a 2 or 5 channel amp.
    No difference? Then why do they make mono block amps?
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

What Leroy meant is if you take a pair of 200w monoblocks from Manufacturer X and a 200wx2 channel amp from the same manufacturer, assuming the same specs for frequency response, gain, etc, there won't really be a difference between the two.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Ok, so the targeted customer is one that wants to power a single speaker then? Sounds stupid..
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Wouldn't the only difference be that there's no chance of crosstalk between the amp channels? I thought that was the point of monoblocks.

*sigh* no.

There are multiple reasons for monoblocks.

From this post from Early B.: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...s.-Stereo-Amps

1. Ability to physically locate amplifier close to speaker to minimize speaker lead length thereby reducing losses.

2. Less noise interaction between stereo channels yields quieter operation and lower noise floor. Stereo amplifiers utilize shared component and circuit design.

3. Vibrations of the amplifier stages themselves can interfere with other channels. Separating into monoblocks helps to eliminate this common noise source.

4. There is less crosstalk (leakage) and greater stereo separation which yields enhanced stereo and fidelity effect.

5. Monoblock isolated power supplies permit least possible electronic and mechanical interaction between channels and promotes maximum linearity and stability.

6. Seperate power supplies do not rob power from the other channel under heavy loads.

7. Greater heat dissipation of two independent chassis.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (41)

No difference? Then why do they make mono block amps?
    Ok, so the targeted customer is one that wants to power a single speaker then? Sounds stupid..
    In your price range there's not a mono block that could set itself a part from a good 2 or 5 channel amp in that same price point. For $1000 I'd look at a nice 5 channel amp and be done. There's many advantages to monoblocks but your budget won't allow for a good set.

Parasound 2205at or 1205a
    Rotel 1095 or 1075
    B&k 200.5
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 04-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.

I was looking at getting 3 of these for like $1000 or under as they have specials for multiples.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Though after reading some reviews on them I've heard some say its not good for music only for movies.

Then I was also looking at the mono blocks at Emo.. your guys favorite amp manufacture! haha

Cost more but theres a few different models in different price ranges.

Since i'll be waiting a month or so to buy something I figured i'll have a bigger budget.

Just asking if there was something special about using mono blocks instead as its something I could buy a couple now and more later.. just wondering if I was wasting my time thinking about that option.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

This is the attitude of a tweaker, I am not one. I know that there have probably been tons of improvements made to components. But I have no interest in pulling anything apart to put something new in to see if it makes it better. I'd much rather spend my time enjoying what I have. I have no interest in continually jumping down an endless rabbit hole in search of something better.

Point taken. But I still say it's hard to discount so many that like and prefer this tweak. Perhaps it is a guy thing. lol
    --Gary--

Cfrizz, you are consistent in your logic and posting which is a nice quality to have. If you enjoy your system and like the sound, then sit back, enjoy and crank it up!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    Point taken. But I still say it's hard to discount so many that like and prefer this tweak. Perhaps it is a guy thing. lol
    LOL it is most definitely a guy thing!

Cfrizz, you are consistent in your logic and posting which is a nice quality to have. If you enjoy your system and like the sound, then sit back, enjoy and crank it up!
    Crankin even as I type Thorton, thanks.

I was looking at getting 3 of these for like $1000 or under as they have specials for multiples.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

Though after reading some reviews on them I've heard some say its not good for music only for movies.

Then I was also looking at the mono blocks at Emo.. your guys favorite amp manufacture! haha

Cost more but theres a few different models in different price ranges.

Since i'll be waiting a month or so to buy something I figured i'll have a bigger budget.

Just asking if there was something special about using mono blocks instead as its something I could buy a couple now and more later.. just wondering if I was wasting my time thinking about that option.
    Like everything else in this hobby, it's all a matter of opinion. I would get a 5-7 channel amp and be done. But if you have the outlets to handle multiple amps go for it. You have to start somewhere Eclypse, and if new with warranty and not spending a ton is important to you then get the Emotiva, and get an XPA to make sure you have plenty of headroom. If you are willing to get used gear check out Audiogon for a good deal on a used amp. It all depends on how fanatical you want to get.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 04-24-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Keep an eye on the Club Polk flea market , there's always some used Emotiva amps popping up for sale there. Enjoy the journey!

Thread Information