Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (12)

They look nice suspended from the carpeted ceiling. how hard was it to hang all your gar like that?

Seriously Zingo... nice looking system.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Wiring them in phase will cut down on cabinet resonances and distortion.

Crossed low enough, I don't see there being an issue at all.
    But it will also reduce output, correct? I don't know much about designing speakers, but without them out of phase with each other, they are pulling on the same limited air space and restricting movement. Not only that, but wouldn't they be cancelling each other out since, at least direction wise, they move in opposite directions for the same note? It seems like wiring one out of phase would actually put them into phase with one another?

It seems that would be the case, but again, no clue here how it actually works.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

After opening them up, crossovers are decent with Jantzen and Dayton parts, and separate boads for the woofers, and the mid/tweeter. All connections are soldered, including drivers with large gauge speaker cables, but the crossover layout needs a little cleaning up which he admitted. Cabinets are very well made with stained hardwood side panels, and the woofer and mid chambers are packed tight with acoustic stuffing.

I've started some reading on loading that back woofer push-push vs push-pull compared to the front one, but having come to a conclusion yet...

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    After opening them up, crossovers are decent with Jantzen and Dayton parts, and separate boads for the woofers, and the mid/tweeter. All connections are soldered, including drivers with large gauge speaker cables, but the crossover layout needs a little cleaning up which he admitted. Cabinets are very well made with stained hardwood side panels, and the woofer and mid chambers are packed tight with acoustic stuffing.

I've started some reading on loading that back woofer push-push vs push-pull compared to the front one, but having come to a conclusion yet...
    If they aren't very difficult to open and work in, just try both!
    USB Interface: Stello U2, Nuforce uDAC2 ║ DAC: Stello DA100 Signature, Keces DA-151 MK2
    Headamp: Darkvoice 336SE, Bottlehead Crack ║ Headphones: Sennheiser HD650, AKG Q701, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Amplifiers: PS Audio 200CX, DIY Class D Monoblocks ║ Speakers: Dayton RS621, Focal 807V, LSA1 Statement, Soliloquy 5.3
    Power: Yulong P18, Rotel RLC900, Cyberpower 1000VA PFC UPS

Member Sales Rating: (31)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    But it will also reduce output, correct?
    No they are operating bipolar(push-push) so with the woofers in phase the outputs will combine,out of phase there would be complete cancellation in the bass range.

oops beat to punch.
    Last edited by FTGV; 04-27-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    They look nice suspended from the carpeted ceiling. how hard was it to hang all your gar like that?
    I don't know what's the deal with me posting upside down pictures today!

But thanks. :)

Did you use an ipad to take the picture?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile

iPhone which is my normal MO, but I must have screwed something up. Oh well, it's nice to know I'm not perfect...

Audiophile

With the H/K amplifing, the speakers are detailed, but a little laid back and very forgiving. That aluminum tweeter is pretty amazing, and the aluminum woofers sound surprizingly soft.

Driver material is much less important that what most make it out to be. The only time it makes a big difference is when the drivers are of cheap or mediocre quality, or the crossover design is poor.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Wow, those are really nice looking speakers! Congrats!
    --Gary--

Audiophile

It was bothering me...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  491.6 KB

Audiophile

My wife says they are the ugliest speakers I've ever brought home, but also comments that at least they aren't tall...

I'm very interested to get an actual power amp on them, and a dedicated 2-channel preamp as I know they have a lot more potential then they are letting on with the receiver. I'm hoping to have an amp nailed down by the end of the week, but that's assuming I find something I really want, and sell a few things in the mean time.

I like the slope of the cabinets. That's one of the main thing's I love about my Usher's. I think if it had a piano gloss finish to it, it'd take their appearance up a notch or two.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Audiophile

This is my first pair of time-aligned cabinets, but it does lend to the sound more than I was expecting. The sound is very balanced and better blended than other cone speakers I've owned; which may be the drivers as well. I've owned cone speakers that did specific things better (bass), but none that sounded this natural.

I agree, but the finish is very durable, which I don't mind, and isn't worth changing right now. The hard wood accents are a nice touch though.

Glad to hear, enjoy!

Nice lookin speaks!You seem to go through gear like an NBA player through groupies.

Audiophile

Ya, it's all part of the fun sometimes. It was a neat pair of speakers that were hard to pass up, and a very different sound then I am used to.

I hear ya.It definately part of the fun trying different gear and mod's etc.

Audiophile

I'm going to try to pair these with a subwoofer and see what they sound like. They aren't as full below 40Hz as I'm used to, but a big subwoofer might be too over powering, and not blend with the naturalnes. I'll plug something in this week as see what it does...

I find it easier to blend a sub with a sealed speaker than a ported one. You have an SPL meter, right? Make sure the sub isn't sitting in a null spot in the room then get to work on phase, level, and crossover point.

Audiophile

I completely agree; I much prefer sealed speakers likes these ones as the bass is quicker, tighter, and blends easier. Horn loaded is nice too...

A fair amount of adjusting, tuning, and moving will probably have to happen (SPL meter included), but I'll see if I can successfully blend a 10" woofer into the mix.

Audiophile

I pulled out this little Boston Acoustics ASW250 to see how it might sound. It's nothing too special, but a cut about any of the discount brands; weighs in at 35lbs so decently built. It's downfiring which is why I haven't been using it, but uses a 10" ceramic/glass fiber woofer for a realistic bottom end of 30Hz. Sound quality is fairly good on it, but it looks even better with piano gloss sides and a leather type finish on the rest.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  289.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I like the slope of the cabinets. That's one of the main thing's I love about my Usher's. I think if it had a piano gloss finish to it, it'd take their appearance up a notch or two.
    The slope serves a time alignment function of the drivers.
    So hot it burns twice

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    The slope serves a time alignment function of the drivers.
    LOL Captain Obvious much?
    Pretty sure dskip is aware of this as he has talked about time aligned speakers elsewhere and zingo mentioned it in the following post as well.

Zingo,
    That's a nice well rounded sub there. pretty evenly split between HT and musicality. Personal preference would be a higher end 8 inch sub though. I love what my Micropro brings to the table in terns of speed and accuracy. Maybe doesn't go as low as a bigger sub but then I am trying to reproduce music not a shuttle launch. Hehe.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    LOL Captain Obvious much?
    Pretty sure dskip is aware of this as he has talked about time aligned speakers elsewhere and zingo mentioned it in the following post as well.

Zingo,
    That's a nice well rounded sub there. pretty evenly split between HT and musicality. Personal preference would be a higher end 8 inch sub though. I love what my Micropro brings to the table in terns of speed and accuracy. Maybe doesn't go as low as a bigger sub but then I am trying to reproduce music not a shuttle launch. Hehe.
    Just putting the reason out there. Not everyone knows why they might be sloped. Just filling in some context for those that may be un-awares. Is that ok?
    So hot it burns twice

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    Just putting the reason out there. Not everyone knows why they might be sloped. Just filling in some context for those that may be un-awares. Is that ok?
    I did touch on the time align concept in the following post, but politely restating or explaining something usually shouldn't ruffle and feathers. I believe ZLTFUL was a little touched off by your comment because it didn't have any context, and the thread did evolve a little into speaker design tech-talk.

This is my first pair of time-aligned cabinets, but it does lend to the sound more than I was expecting. The sound is very balanced and better blended than other cone speakers I've owned; which may be the drivers as well. I've owned cone speakers that did specific things better (bass), but none that sounded this natural.

I did touch on the time align concept in the following post, but politely restating or explaining something usually shouldn't ruffle and feathers. I believe ZLTFUL was a little touched off by your comment because it didn't have any context, and the thread did evolve a little into speaker design tech-talk.
    That wasn't the point of his post. He has an agenda. Let him do what he wants, he will get no food from me.

Thx. I didn't know it was going to ruffle feathers. A diy speaker may be me next step beyond the LSi's that I have. That or a killer price on a higher end (used potentially) commercial design.
    So hot it burns twice

Thread Information