Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    That wasn't the point of his post. He has an agenda. Let him do what he wants, he will get no food from me.
    Care to elaborate? Feel free to report or point out any posts that run afoul of the rules here I guess... Is there an emoticon for shrugs?
    Last edited by Habanero Monk; 05-01-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    So hot it burns twice

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Zingo,
    That's a nice well rounded sub there. pretty evenly split between HT and musicality. Personal preference would be a higher end 8 inch sub though. I love what my Micropro brings to the table in terns of speed and accuracy. Maybe doesn't go as low as a bigger sub but then I am trying to reproduce music not a shuttle launch. Hehe.
    I agree that a well designed 8" sub like the Micropro can sound very good, but the Boston was a little cheaper. Usually a well designed 10" sub can also be fast, plus go low enough for me. And like you, I don't need crazy output, just controlled and musical frequency response down to at least 30Hz for organ music, stand-up bass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    I agree that a well designed 8" sub like the Micropro can sound very good, but the Boston was a little cheaper. Usually a well designed 10" sub can also be fast, plus go low enough for me. And like you, I don't need crazy output, just controlled and musical frequency response down to at least 30Hz for organ music, stand-up bass, etc.
    I wonder what the seller could do for you on a sub? I did a DIY sub and love it.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Captain Obvious
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Audiophile

A DIY subwoofer may be a solid option, but if this one can blend in to my speakers without standing out, I'll be happy.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

If it stands out, it's not set up right.

A SPL meter and test tones is one way to get it done, but kind of archaic compared to this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-792

I pulled out this little Boston Acoustics ASW250 to see how it might sound. It's nothing too special, but a cut about any of the discount brands; weighs in at 35lbs so decently built. It's downfiring which is why I haven't been using it, but uses a 10" ceramic/glass fiber woofer for a realistic bottom end of 30Hz. Sound quality is fairly good on it, but it looks even better with piano gloss sides and a leather type finish on the rest.

Attachment 84722
    What's wrong with downfiring subs? Crossed low enough, it shouldn't matter if it's up, down, left, or right firing. :D Adding a little polyfill inside the sub may help with boominess due to a poor design, poor setup, etc...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile

It will be crossed very low, 50Hz-60Hz maybe, so nothing wrong with that set-up. Even though bass frequencies can't give our ears directional ques, I still don't prefer the idea of a speaker cone firing straight into the carpet; but I'm weird...

Did he ever mention what kind of crossover slopes he used, as time alignment is generally only beneficial to shallow slopes or the goal is transient perfect crossovers(something I now strive for).
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile

No but I'll shoot him an email and see what he remembers. Good thinking!

Regardless if it's functional or not, the time aligned baffle does look cool.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I still don't prefer the idea of a speaker cone firing straight into the carpet;
    The trick is to get it high enough off the carpet, I'd say at least 2 inches and it should be spiked.

but I'm weird...
    You said it.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Audiophile

Details I received yesterday on the crossover design for these three-way, four driver, Dayton Audio Reference speakers.

As I recall from memory, the woofers are wired in parallel in 2nd order (12db electrical) crossing at 300hz; low frequency response of woofers based on the box volume is around 55 hz at f3. The midrange is crossed at 300 and 1600 third order 18db to minimize ringing and beaming with the aluminum midbass, and the tweeter is crossed at 1600 fourth order (24db) with a LRC Leg in parallel to suppress the rise at around 7k hz. Physical time alignment was based on the sizes of the drivers, 15 degree tilting baffle was a sufficient compensation.

The 55Hz woofer response sounds right based on my listening over the last week. The speakers obviously don't go very low, but what bass they do has sounds very good and natural. After playing the with subwoofer last night, I found I can't cross it too much higher than 60Hz because you very quickly hear the competing woofers. More testing to come this weekend...

Sealed woofers tuned to a Q(tc) of .7 roll off @ 12db, opposed to ported cabinet's 24db per octave. Depending on placement and your room size, once you add in room gain, you may not be missing much at all. What you may be hearing now is flatter bass resonse instead of a booted bottom end. But in case you still crave more, another advantage of sealed designs is that they are easier to integrate with subs.

Audiophile

I was hoping for a little room gain from the woofers, especially with the opposed woofers, but the proximity required to the rear walls for decent gains had an adverse effect on sound quality and sound stage. At the point where distance from the back wall, distance from the side wall, and toe-in sounded the best (so far anyway), the bass response was not significantly boosted by the room. I do feel like I'm missing the bottom of the frequency range for listening to music (stand-up bass, organ, symphony), but my reference is corner horn-loaded 15" woofers, so I clearly need to adjust my expectations.

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Depending on placement and your room size, once you add in room gain, you may not be missing much at all.
    I'm interested to see what you come up with after modeling the speakers in my room. Thanks for the help!

Audiophile

With the need for more current, I'm going to check out a Carver A-500x which can deliver 400wpc into my 4 ohm speakers; stable to 2 ohms and 750wpc. The amp looks like the last of the real Carver designs with classic VU meters and THX certification. Hopefully the amp will wake-up the bass in my speakers a little more, and be a quality pick overall.

With the need for more current, I'm going to check out a Carver A-500x which can deliver 400wpc into my 4 ohm speakers; stable to 2 ohms and 750wpc. The amp looks like the last of the real Carver designs with classic VU meters and THX certification. Hopefully the amp will wake-up the bass in my speakers a little more, and be a quality pick overall.
    Be wary of the THX knobs, they have a COMMON habit of breaking and just stink compared to other gain knobs on amps (like B&K).
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

Since they are simply set knobs used during the HT calibration process, I would adjust them all the way open (I would assume would be the best option) then let them be. I'll make sure to check them for damage when I look at the amp as well.

Audiophile

Mike was awesome and ran calculations for me based on these Dayton Audio Reference speakers and the specifics of my room. The bass response looks better than I think they sound, but they also have had very limited power, so more testing and tweaking is necessary.

Black line is the naked speaker, the blue line is the added room gain.

Name:  In Room Response.gif
Views: 296
Size:  25.8 KB

Audiophile

The guy was moving and had his system apart, so I only got to power on the A500x tonight and toggle the VU meters. Everything seemed to work well, so I couldn't pass it for $200. :) I'll hook it up with a passive preamp tomorrow and see what I have!

The guy was moving and had his system apart, so I only got to power on the A500x tonight and toggle the VU meters. Everything seemed to work well, so I couldn't pass it for $200. :) I'll hook it up with a passive preamp tomorrow and see what I have!
    Holy crap for 200 its a STEAL of a deal. Just watch those THX knobs on the back, like I said they are BRITTLE.

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

That's what I thought. I originally passed on the deal because I didn't want a Carver amp, but it figured it was worth trying for the money. No matter what, it is a great looking amp.

That's what I thought. I originally passed on the deal because I didn't want a Carver amp, but it figured it was worth trying for the money. No matter what, it is a great looking amp.
    Yeah, and there is meat on the bone there for sure if you decide to sell it (and I can probably find you a buyer for it).

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  372.5 KB

Looks pretty, hows it sound .

BTW I envy you living up in Carver country where the Carver amps grow on trees

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

Haven't hook it up yet, just snapped that picture last night when I brought it home and plugged it in. Tonight I'll get everything configured, and do some testing.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    BTW I envy you living up in Carver country where the Carver amps grow on trees
    That is an understatement; there are currently 9 Carver components on CL, plus a set of 5.1 HT speakers and a pair of Amazing Platinums for $500...

That is an understatement; there are currently 9 Carver components on CL, plus a set of 5.1 HT speakers and a pair of Amazing Platinums for $500...
    Man, whats your zip up there for use in SearchTempest lol...

Daddy needs him some Sunfire and Carver love lol....

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

98109, and I don't mind doing some local dealing for trusted Polkies.

98109, and I don't mind doing some local dealing for trusted Polkies.
    Rock on. I will keep that in mind if I stumble across something I just gotta have .

Would love to rock some additional Carver gear.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

There is a local Classe CA-200 amp I'm eyeing...

Thread Information