Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default JRiver playback static issue

I recently started using JRiver on a trial basis. Streaming FLAC files from a USB connected HDD connected to my PC. I have a USB DAC connected to the PC (HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2) and the DAC is connected via IC's to powered studio monitors. Internet radio, FLAC files, whatever.....I get background static like you get from a turntable playing scratchy LP's. I am using the WASAPI Event Style with 100ms buffer size, under WASAPI settings I have tried both the default device as well as the Teralink X2 USB audio device which comes with the DAC, I've tried other output modes, I have tried DSP modes and no DSP. What am I missing?

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Member Sales Rating: (9)

How do you have the volume set in JRiver?
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Try Kernel Streaming instead of WASAPI.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    How do you have the volume set in JRiver?
    I think I played with both Application volume and System volume with the same result, if that's what you mean. As far as the volume control slider I set my powered speakers for a moderate level and then use the slider to adjust. If I'm in the mood I leave it maxed, if I just want background music I slide it down.

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Try Kernel Streaming instead of WASAPI.
    I'll try that. I've played around with a few but not sure I've tried that one. Everything you read says to use WASAPI Event Style.

HT system -

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    I think I played with both Application volume and System volume with the same result, if that's what you mean. As far as the volume control slider I set my powered speakers for a moderate level and then use the slider to adjust. If I'm in the mood I leave it maxed, if I just want background music I slide it down.
    Was thinking it sounded like a signal level issue, like the volume was set too low in JRiver sending a weak signal to be amplified downstream. Doesn't sound like that's your issue though.

I agree with Mike, try all the different output settings to see if that changes anything. I prefer WASAPI Event style also, but in the interest of fault tracing...

If that fails, I've found JRiver's support forum is really useful.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Do you get static under the direct sound output mode?

Have you tried checking the box to "Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package" under options/audio/output mode settings.

Have you tried increasing the buffer size?
    Last edited by blehmbo; 04-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I've tried just about all of the output modes. What I am discovering is that it doesn't do it all the time. This setup is just a couple weeks old including JRiver, the powered monitors and the DAC, and sometimes I listen at lower volumes so I thought maybe it had been doing it all along and maybe I hadn't noticed. And for a while I thought it might only be internet radio. But it sounds perfectly fine sometimes and when it does do it it's on any music. Maybe some kind of interference at times?
    Last edited by dragon1952; 04-27-2013 at 02:33 PM.

HT system -

I believe this was due to a cheapie USB cable ($1.50 from Blue Jeans Cable who just get them from China I believe). The USB cable from PC to DAC has to run in near proximity to the PC power cord.

HT system -

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    I believe this was due to a cheapie USB cable ($1.50 from Blue Jeans Cable who just get them from China I believe). The USB cable from PC to DAC has to run in near proximity to the PC power cord.
    OK....not the problem. It seems when it happens I can close JRiver and re-open it and the problem goes away :^ / I'm at a loss.

HT system -

Member Sales Rating: (6)

That is strange!. DO you have a cell phone by it?

No cell phone. I've got my Fostex powered monitors on either side of my Acer flat screen, I've got a dual band router, my Logitech remote controller and a wireless phone and my little USB DAC.

HT system -

Member Sales Rating: (6)

This is going to sound strange but, my computer speakers, I have right by my wireless belkin router. I started getting static through my computer speakers till I moved the router across the room and it stopped. It might not be your issue but, you can give it a shot by turning it off and seeing if it makes a difference.

At work my work blackberry is using the older edge network and it shoots through my laptop speakers all the time so that's why I asked about a cell phone.

Thread Information