Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    You know I never thought about that as a 2 ch system but your right the yaqin was 2 ch. I never really considered the yaqin as a serious 2 ch venture like I have researched for this system.
    Ah, so this is your first serious 2-ch system.

I'm sure the Yaqin can't compare to this system, but it's a shame you never heard that Yaqin with decent tubes in it.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Sweet!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congratulations on the new system PFB, that looks like one sweet___ system bro and we now it's been a hell of a climb for you to get to this point of your audio journey, enjoy!

Breaking stuff...seems to be a theme here. (Too soon? )
    Seriously though, nice rig. Let me know what you think about the Primalunas. That is a great deal if they sound as good as they look.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
    Ah, so this is your first serious 2-ch system.

I'm sure the Yaqin can't compare to this system, but it's a shame you never heard that Yaqin with decent tubes in it.
    When I had the yaqin I always felt the electrostat panels were neglected because the top end of the spectrum was lacking. I did get some gold lions for the yaqin and replaced the pre and the power tubes but it still had that boomy bass and not enough sparkle. I thought the primaluna would do this too because its el34 but I dont hear those traits but I am not using a tube pre and only tube power amplification right now. What I do hear is something I have never experienced with the timing and creepy lingering

My yaqin was a gateway drug and a dam good one but from coming here and reading my idea of a real 2 ch system had to consist of.. a good playback source, cables that make you feel like your being ripped off paying for and musical amplification
    Last edited by polkfarmboy; 04-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.

The roll-off and tonal characteristics generally are more characteristic of the tubes themselves, not the amp. I think you made a great purchase, but I wouldn't discount any tube amp without having a decent selection of tubes for it. Most the tubes I have are mediocre at best, currently running Sovtek 12AX7's and Sylvania 12AT7's and really like the combination, but I still want to roll some other ones in. The Yaqin that Marvin brought over just annihilated my Jolida on every speaker we played them on. The difference I still think was in the tubes.

With that said, I think you made a definite upgrade and wish I were so lucky.
    Last edited by DSkip; 04-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Very nice setup man congrats! Nothing like getting new gear that exceeds your expectations. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Your First one yea right.... Very Nice!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

When I had the yaqin I always felt the electrostat panels were neglected because the top end of the spectrum was lacking. I did get some gold lions for the yaqin and replaced the pre and the power tubes but it still had that boomy bass and not enough sparkle.
    Yeah, those Gold Lions are average, overpriced preamp tubes. They're constructed exactly the same as a basic Electro-Harmonix tube on the same line at the New Sensor plant, with gold pins and a pretty label. They aren't bad, but definitely lack clarity and high-frequency detail. Though they were an improvement over the stock Shuguang's, much better (Russian) preamp tubes can be had for MUCH cheaper.

Same deal with the Gold Lion EL34's--plain 'ol EH EL34's built at the New Sensor plant, with a fancy label added.

Again, the Yaqin isn't going to compete with what you have now, obviously, but you weren't even close to getting the best performance out of it. Not that it matters--you can put that all behind you now that you have this beast!! Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Tbone289; 04-26-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Member Sales Rating: (12)

What happens with an ESL panel at higher frequencies is the impedance of the panel can drop below the impedance of the amplifier and the amp further rolls off the highs, depending on the amount of mismatch.

Recently I went the other way as you and removed all the tubes from my ESL system, but do admit there was a time I enjoyed them there. Njoy your journey.

I've had gear that sounded great with newly manufactured tubes. Russian mostly as I don't think the Chinese have metallurgy down, or they were/are not consistent across manufacturers anyway.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Sweet system. Enjoy PFB.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The Gold Lion KT77 and KT66s are decent, but the Gold Lion KT88s sound excellent in the PLs. Shuaguang Treasures sound even better IMHO.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Very, very nice rig! But I'm a little confused?

How does a farm boy "afford" equipment that an East Coast Prof. can't? And, I didn't think that most farm houses had baseboard heating in them. lol

Just what kind of farm boy are you? Chairman of Monsanto?

Enjoy!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 04-27-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

A phrase comes to mind from our absent mod Doro...... "HT is easy, 2ch is where its at" I think I am getting a better understanding of what he meant after only a short while of having my setup

I received the wireworld gold eclipse 6 ic's on Saturday as a nice surprise instead of the Monday due date. When I opened the package and unpacked them I noticed they were nothing special to look at. They have a screw mech on them so you can tighten them up and a little red glass logo that serves no purpose and slides up and down the cable. The cable feels like its rock solid wire with little flex but who cares as they are not for looking at anyways

I have been burning in the electra power cables as well as the sratus any way I can on any devices and the tube amps have just been on playing music through the polks almost 24 h per day. The system is like Frankenstein's monster lol as it just keeps coming alive with the more juice I pump into it day by day.

Well here is the missing link ... the gold eclipse... holy sh$t are these a great ic. I know it takes time for them to burn in but it just pealed off another layer of something I never knew was there in the first place. The bass was defined and it really improved the top end by quite a large margin. There is another layer of quietness to the system that is just not there when I remove them, things just seem to hang in mid air when I use these, its almost like going from a dvd to a bluray they really are that good. I always scoffed at cables let alone making a transformation of this margin. Its still really early in the burn in stage so I still can't properly evaluate or do some A/B testing on individual components but I am so amazed by the romance this brings to cold hearted tracks and it punishes really bad music for being bad
    Attached Images  

I did play around with the wire world cables too and these are very good and very musical and still highly detailed. I think these are a very important link in the chain and are miles better than what I have tried previously. These cables are super stiff and take alot to bend as they are like 10 awg, these have the same design of the platinum and gold eclipse that retail for stupid money. Even though pricey I think they offer good value and cant really see myself getting any added benefit for climbing higher up the ladder as you can only pass through so much signal through the mid range components I use
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (31)

They have a screw mech on them so you can tighten them up and a little red glass logo that serves no purpose and slides up and down the cable.
    Don't the sleeves have Left and Right markings on them?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Nice setup man , congrads. Why Wireworld? They seem to be making a splash in the Audio world. I hear about them more and more. They even approached us to carry them. I turned them down.
    Should I give them another look?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Yes.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Yep the glass sleeve has an arrow but so does the the rca terminations so it just seems a little gimmicky, but I have to admit I never really noticed that until your post

I would for sure have a listen to them Dan, they have a really good value to them and have interesting reviews. I chose them for the design of the cables as its diff to everything that is out there. There are many good price points but went for the reference line with the electras's pc's, speaker cables and ic's.

I don't notice a huge diff in the power cords yet as they are not burned in all they way but I do know for sure it makes my gear sound better and my tv picture has less pixel noise

looking good!

Sweet!
    Bryston DACs are all the rage this year.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Really nice

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Very nice system Farmboy - the Wireworld cables are a nice choice.
    Strictly 2 channel
    Rotel RC-1550 pre
    Rotel RB-1582 amp
    Catcables Kingcats ICs
    APC S-20 line conditioner
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W ASW800 sub
    Rotel RCC-1055 changer
    Denon DVD 1000

Listening Room:
    McIntosh C2300 preamp
    McIntosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MCD-500 SACD player
    AQ Colorado XLR ICs
    AQ Columbia ICs
    APC H-15 line conditioner
    Sonus faber Auditor M speakers w/stands
    REL B1 subwoofer
    Rega P9 w/Lyra Delos
    Pioneer RT-707 R2R
    Zu power cables & XLRs

Impressive! Great new toys!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

looks perfect
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I think what I need now is a really good usb cable. The cable I am using now is a cheapo and needs to go as its the weakest link in the chain. There have been some good reviews and comparisons done on the forum so I may go grab one thats been proven to be good like the aq forest or see if I can get something else. I am impressed with the wireworld cables I have so I might go grab a few of those to try. Wireworld has 4 cables, the ultra violet, starlight, silver starlightand platinum starlight. The prices on the wireworld usb's are horrible but they use that unique design so it may be a good move

Member Sales Rating: (17)

WOW your system Hot!, Where do you live?, I need to come hear that system one day!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

I am way out in ND, the tubes help to heat my apartment lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
    Yeah, those Gold Lions are average, overpriced preamp tubes. They're constructed exactly the same as a basic Electro-Harmonix tube on the same line at the New Sensor plant, with gold pins and a pretty label. They aren't bad, but definitely lack clarity and high-frequency detail. Though they were an improvement over the stock Shuguang's, much better (Russian) preamp tubes can be had for MUCH cheaper.

Same deal with the Gold Lion EL34's--plain 'ol EH EL34's built at the New Sensor plant, with a fancy label added.

Again, the Yaqin isn't going to compete with what you have now, obviously, but you weren't even close to getting the best performance out of it. Not that it matters--you can put that all behind you now that you have this beast!! Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!
    Gold Lions are not re-labeled EH. They may share very similar build and structure but they don't sound anything alike. A lot of tubes from the Reflektor plant look alike. Yes, they can be average sounding on one rig, but amazing on another. Tube rolling is fine tuning and even a Mullard or Siemens can sound average on the wrong system.
    How is the Gold Lion KT77 a plain old EH EL34? It's a completely different tube made to be an EL34 direct replacement. It looks NOTHING like an EH EL34. Please get the facts right instead of posting false information.

PFB,
    Congrats! Excellent looking set up you have there. Enjoy.
    Last edited by organ; 05-04-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information