Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default onkyo m-504 question

I have downloaded and printed the manual and done numerous online searches, and cannot find an answer to my question, so i'm hoping someone here can help. is the m-504 considered to be a high-current amp; say, along the lines as an adcom gfa-555?
    thanks for any help.
    "The symbol is not the reality"

The M-504 service manual does not even list output into 4 ohms. IMO, no the M-504 is not a "high current" amp, if you use doubling of power when output impedance is halved as criteria for making that assessment. None of those Japanese mass market brands ever are "high current" amps. Unless you are driving speakers with an impedance curve that drops well below 3 ohms and present a severe phase angle, you should have no problem. I have owned many wonderful amps that would not qualify as "high current", and have had no issues using them with 4 ohm nominal speakers.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

thanks. it's driving a pair of polk rta 12b's, so it is a 4ohm load. no issues; I was just curious. the speakers are awesome in conjunction with the amp. using hafler dh-101 as a pre.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The M504 will drive those RTA's with no problems! I've seen that amp drive SDA's easily as well. It will drive a 4 ohm load. Not sure if it is considered "high current" though. I would think it is. IMO.....I think your weak link is your preamp right now though. Just my thoughts though. If you like it, that is all that matters.
    --Gary--

hey, gary. been awhile since I've been on the site. anyway, my plan at this point is a dynaco pas3 as a pre. waiting for the right one. (i.e. perfect and maybe modified) tubes in the pre (voltage device) power in the amp. (current)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

No experience with that pre. Don't discount the matching P304 preamp to the 504 though. Or even the P301. Both are fabulous preamps in my opinion.
    --Gary--

The owners manual for the M-504 lists it as being fine to use with 4ohm loads. My friend has one that is picked up new new in the box and it drives his sda-1b just fine.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

It is my strong suspicion that the M504's output remains at about the same regardless of the load. The manufacturer does not list outputs at less than 8 ohms. Output specs at 20Hz - 20KHz and 1kHz are the same. At the less demanding 1KHz, output should be a little higher. Each channels employs two complementary pairs of 2SA1492 and 2SC3856 bi-polar transistors. These are 130W rated transistors. In order to provide some kind of safety margin and not operate these transistors near their maximum ratings, Onkyo would have to employ output current limiting. Nothing is wrong with that as long as the amp sounds good. As I mentioned above. Unless one has speakers that present a punishing load, a high current amp is not necessary,and the M504 is fine. It is a handsome amp as well. I've often though of adding one of those classic Onkyos with the big meters to my collection.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Thread Information