Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NAD vs Carver

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default NAD vs Carver

I have a NAD 7400 receiver (100 watts; essentially the NAD 3400 amp & NAD 1700 Tuner/ pre in one cabinet). I like it alot but there are holes in the sound. Could be from the NAD, could be from the Polk Monitor 70's, could be my ears. I don't think its the source; seems independent of the cd player or the TT. Local thrift has a Carver CT7 tuner & Carver M-05T amp for $150 each. That seems steep to me/ I'm thinking $200 for the pair. Would the Carver separates be an upgrade over the NAD? I think the Carver amp is the lower end of their line & 140 watts. Appreciate your thoughts. I have no experience with Carver equipment. I paid $75 for the NAD so I don't have a ton of cash tied up in it. TIA

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Price seems about right. I can only comment on my own experiences with those 2 brands. Nad has a better sound quality to me over the Carver. Not that Carver is bad, just too sterile sounding for my ears anyway. Nad, while sounding better seems to have some quality control issues.

With that said, 200 bucks isn't going to get you much of anything in the way of a big jump in sound quality from what your acustomed to. Local Craigslist in Chicago has a few nice amps and pre's between 3 and 5 bones.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

What is it about your sound that you do not like?

There are holes in the audio spectrum. You hear certain instruments clear as day. Others are there if you listen for them but muted. It seems those instruments are always around the same frequencies so I think its a fault somewhere. As if you could hear a triangle & a cowbell perfectly but you had to listen closely to hear snare drums. Thats the concept.

Tony
    Bingo on the quality control. I think I've repaired the worst of the crummy cold solder joints. I'll check out Chi Craigslist. Not much lately in Milwaukee or Madison.

What kind ofdcdma player or turntable do you have? What is the speaker location like distance from the wall. Distance to your chair?

Bob,

From your description of the sound, I want to say it could be a cable issue.....considering the source is of decent quality. I've had those same experiences in the sound until I tried different cables. That synergy thing is a b$tch.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Alrighty then! Hold on to your wallet as the elusive search begins!

It would be a lot cheaper if a friend of yours owned a High End electronics store and could loan you all the cable flavors until you found the "sweetest"!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    Could be from the NAD, could be from the Polk Monitor 70's
    buy some lsi or lsim and the holes in the sound will be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Alrighty then! Hold on to your wallet as the elusive search begins!

It would be a lot cheaper if a friend of yours owned a High End electronics store and could loan you all the cable flavors until you found the "sweetest"!

cnh

Ok chief, kindly point out where I said "high end" cables. I'll wait......have a feeling it will be a very long time too.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I like it alot but there are holes in the sound.
    This could be room issues as well.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

NAD products are unreliable from what I have experienced... Carver is cheaply built.... I had a TFM25 and when you look inside, the electronics are all cheap components. I would not recommend ither brands...

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    NAD products are unreliable from what I have experienced... Carver is cheaply built.... I had a TFM25 and when you look inside, the electronics are all cheap components. I would not recommend ither brands...
    You had a TFM-25, popped the top and saw cheap parts so the brand itself is not worthy of a recommendation? That's a bit like opening the hood on a Toyota Echo an assuming everything else from Toyota is cheap crap as well. The TFM 25 is an entry level amp in the Carver lineup, and is 25 years old now. any amp that age needs to be serviced and brought back to spec to perform its best. That goes for NAD gear as well. I would also toss out there that components(caps/resistors etc.) have been improved dramatically in 25 years and what seems cheap today may well have been the best available 25 years ago.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Appreciate the feedback. There are certainly room acoustic issues. The living room serves other purposes besides audio. Also I recognize that the speakers have a limited sweet spot; It is quite clear as you change distance from them. Hasn't thought of cables, they are wired now with heavier gage twisted copper. CD player is a Sony DVP S7700, TT is a Dual 1237 & Grado Blue with OEM stylus. I don't think it is the source.

The living room serves other purposes besides audio.
    Yeah, same here Bob. My two channel system is also in the sittin' room. HT is in family room. I told the wife acoustic treatments are going in; only say so you have is to pick the fabric and color. She did. I could see them after a few days as the swelling around my eyes went down.

I kid...she is pretty good with my two channel thing and did pick fabric/color.
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-30-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Acoustics were worse before we switched from shades to curtains. Still, if the volume is up the reflections get stupid & the music sounds awful. Fortunately, I'm past my heavy metal days. But still, some music is made to be played loud.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

u
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Ok chief, kindly point out where I said "high end" cables. I'll wait......have a feeling it will be a very long time too.
    I've always seen myself as more of a Big Man than a Chief because I move in smaller circles, not Totem based clans. And as such, our villages don't have cables of any kind but we do love our pigs (pork)! lol

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 05-02-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I picked up a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci off CL. The holes in the sound are filled. I will note that bi wiring the Monitor 70s really changed thier sound. I thought the bass was punchier at the very least. At 2.5 times the price (new), the Vandersteens are keepers, but I am not happy about selling the Monitor 70's. I can understand how people end up with ridiculous collections of audio gear. Fortunately, I can't afford both. Thank God for the Polk e bay store & CL or I wouldn't have either.

Vandies are a good speaker. Nice pickup

Thread Information