Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SACD pricing

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SACD pricing

I'm just starting out with SACD's so maybe this is a silly question.

But...

I see a fairly wide range of pricing on SACD's and I'm wondering...is that based mostly on recording quality or is demand a bigger factor, or is it a combination?

More specifically, I see a lot of Dylan that is priced low and seems like that would be a more expensive item.

Norah Jones' Come Away With Me is fairly cheap, but the rest of her SACD's are more expensive.

Basically, I see a fair amount of decent titles for $15 or less, and I'm wondering if these aren't as good quality at the $35 releases?

I'm open to any thoughts.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Seems to me to be market driven. Some sites sell vinyl in the $30s so they seem to price the SACDs accordingly.

Amazon has Come Away With Me new for $13.61.

The rest of her SACD's on that site are over $40.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Alot of the price has to do with alot of them got limited release and the really good one people hold on to so that makes the price go high on ebay> The ones i have seen go for mega bucks are michael jackson thriller, the isley brothers. But if you want soem cheap ones music direct does alot of re releses of them but i dont think they come in mulitchannel. Also SA-CD.net is a good place to check out reviews on them so u wont waste your money on some crappy recordings. So be smart and make that money go as far as it can with sacd.

^^^^ What he said.

I've been collecting for years, and when I wind up with duplicates to sell, it sometimes surprises me what the 'going' price is for a disc I bought a few years ago. Many that are popular but have been out of print for a while go for more, while Clapton's Slowhand and Pink Floyd's DSOTM are available pretty cheap. Seems like everyone has Dire Straits Brother in Arms cheap, too.

Seems like there is a thread here somewhere about member's recommendations for a new SACD collection, if you want to take the time to search for it. Lots of good stuff in it.

I think I still have a few SACDs and/or DVD-A's that are duplicates. If you are interested I can take a look and see what I have.
    My DIY HT
    RT3000p fronts
    CS1000p center
    F/X1000 side surrounds
    RT3000p sats rear surrounds
    Polk RT35 height channel
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Onkyo PR-SC5507 Controller
    Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp
    Sherbourne TST4 100 x 2 Amp
    PS-3 BD
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo DV-980H for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT
    DVDO VP30 with SDI input
    HDFury for HDMI to RGBHV conversion
    NEC 10PG CRT projector
    Draper AT1200 acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers

Quote Originally Posted by rtart View Post
    ^^^^ What he said.

I've been collecting for years, and when I wind up with duplicates to sell, it sometimes surprises me what the 'going' price is for a disc I bought a few years ago. Many that are popular but have been out of print for a while go for more, while Clapton's Slowhand and Pink Floyd's DSOTM are available pretty cheap. Seems like everyone has Dire Straits Brother in Arms cheap, too.

Seems like there is a thread here somewhere about member's recommendations for a new SACD collection, if you want to take the time to search for it. Lots of good stuff in it.

I think I still have a few SACDs and/or DVD-A's that are duplicates. If you are interested I can take a look and see what I have.
    Thanks for the info and the kind offer.
    2-channel

HT

Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Norah Jones' Come Away With Me is fairly cheap, but the rest of her SACD's are more expensive.
    It depends on which version of "Come Away With Me" you are looking at. The initial SACD version from Blue Note was notorious for having the 2 channel hi-rez portion coming from a master done for regular CD. The more recent Analogue Productions SACD version, I believe, has a reworked 2 channel hi-rez portion. The Analog Productions SACD version is going to be the more expensive version.

As for pricing, SACDs from the "old days" were always under $20.00 (unless they were multi-disc packages). However, as these titles go out of print, prices started going up. That's why if you see a SACD you want, you should buy it as there are very few SACD titles getting a second release.
    Last edited by Danny Tse; 05-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Thread Information