Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What model are these polk speakers ?

I was talking with a friend and he saud he had some of these. He coundnt remember what model they were.the passives look a mess. ANY IDEA ? Thanks----randyAttachment 84739

Default Tweet on top

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Rta12

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Great speakers and have the Peerless tweeter as well. I had a pair and they sound great. Expensive to upgrade the crossover. The Passives are fine from what I can tell.

I stole mine for $35.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Yep RTA-12s. With the Peerless tweets I would say they are originals or RTA-12As? They look to be in good shape and have the stands also. You don't see those very often. I had a set of RTA-12Bs. They are great sounding speakers. I miss mine.

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Great speakers and have the Peerless tweeter as well. I had a pair and they sound great. Expensive to upgrade the crossover. The Passives are fine from what I can tell.

I stole mine for $35.
    And I traded for this pair. They were nice sounding, but I actually preferred the output of the Monitor 10's. The RTA12's always sounded thin to my ears compared to the Monitor 10, regardless of what I ran it off of. I believe that pair was original RTA-12's and didn't have a cascaded crossover. The Peerless in that pair were mounted horizontally and not vertically like the ones in the picture though, so that might be a later model and have the cascaded crossover that eventually made its way into the design.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thumbs up

RTA12. Excellent speakers.
    I had RTA-12C in almost new condition but passed them on when other speakers came in.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-I-got-RTA-12C

And I agree about crossover.
    Too many parts to replace on those.

Boston A400, DefTech BP10,BP-2, Klipsch KG2.5,KG4,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3,L166, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C,RTA-11T, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690.
    SUB:PF15TL+, Energy e:XL-S8, Optimus SW-10P, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Yup RTA-12s. I love mine. I am currently redoing the crossover. Its not cheap but its not that hard either. The goal is to finish up both crossovers this weekend. I hope by Sunday I will be posting photos of them with the new boards.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Thanks for info..we were talking earlier about them. I do recall him having them. He sent me a picture. So what better place to ask. THANK YOU.....i will forward this thread to him----randy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I had RTA-12C in almost new condition but passed them on when other speakers came in.
    [url]http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?137952-Lookie-what-I-got-RTA-12C[/url

....those sure were PURDY too :)

Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    I hope by Sunday I will be posting photos of them with the new boards.
    Please do post photos and plenty of details on your upgrade.

I have a pair of minty RTA-12C speakers which originally came with SL-1000 tweets. I've since swapped them out for original black Peerless tweeters. I love them! Someday I also hope to upgrade the crossovers and wiring, so I'm very interested in how your project turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-I-got-RTA-12C

Yes, lots of parts and lots of $, but oh my how good they sound when you do it right! I rebuilt my RTA 12C Xovers with all Sonicap/Mills, replaced the cheesy binding posts with Cardas, installed strips of Black Hole 5 behind the MW's, and replaced all the internal wiring with teflon OCC copper wire.

They're really exceptional.

The speakers the OP pictured are the originals (first in the series) with only one Xover. They won't have quite the soundstage of the later models, but should still sound good. They can be driven by modestly powered amps and receivers, but if you want to hear them in their glory you have to put some current behind them.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

I would love to hear some 12C's. My biggest complaint about the M10 and early RTA12 is the crossover network. I'm curious how much better they could've sounded with a newer design.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The 12Bs were no slouch either.

Thread Information