Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: bi-amping

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default bi-amping

    I have emotive UMC-200 and UPA-700, im running tsi500 fronts. normal is 8 ohms. does the ohm rating change when bi-amped. upa-700 puts out 80x7 8ohms and 100x7 4ohms. im running 5.1, that leaves two open channels I can use to bi amp the fronts. how are the towers wired. anyone's input is helpful

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Never heard anyone metion that the ohms would lower if bi amped before so I would assume no.. no expert though.

    You will have to use a "Y" splitter for both fronts (L and R) and each end of the y would need to go to a seperate open channel on your UPA-700.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,467

    Default

    It's still not really bi-amping. That requires separate amps, each with its own power supply and active crossovers.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Also on the back of your speaker you would need 2 sets of speaker connections for Bi amping. If theres a metal bracket (jumper) that connects the sets, you will need to remove that first. Then from your amp you will need a set coming from one channel to either the top or bottom set of speaker connections and then from the other channel on your amp you will need to connect those speaker cables to the other open set of connections on the speaker. Then repeat for the other front speaker. So in the end you'll have 2 sets of speaker wires going to each speaker from a different channel on your amp. Each set from a different channel from your amp.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Still gota give him more watts for the fronts in the end. If he's got the space why not see how it sounds.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    the reason I asked about the ohms because not sure how they are wired. with the bus bars connecting the two connectors, makes them parallel. if I remove them the ohms change?

    correct me if im wrong.
    if 8ohms coils

    driver 1 series to driver 2 is now 16 ohm load \
    \
    these are paralleled by bus bars now a 8 ohm load
    /
    driver 3 series to driver 4 is now 16 ohm load /


    if this is right, removing bars would leave a 16 load on each set and would draw less watts from amp

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,467
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkeljr View Post
    the reason I asked about the ohms because not sure how they are wired. with the bus bars connecting the two connectors, makes them parallel. if I remove them the ohms change?

    correct me if im wrong.
    You're wrong, The speakers are rated 8 ohm nominal, period.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkeljr View Post
    I have emotive UMC-200 and UPA-700, im running tsi500 fronts. normal is 8 ohms. does the ohm rating change when bi-amped. upa-700 puts out 80x7 8ohms and 100x7 4ohms. im running 5.1, that leaves two open channels I can use to bi amp the fronts. how are the towers wired. anyone's input is helpful
    To answer the main question, you need a Y splitter for each front pre-out. Then that's 2 interconnect rca cables coming out of that Y with each going to a separate channel on the amplifier. Remove the brass plate on the back of the speaker that connects the top and bottom posts. Run your speaker wire from the top post to the amp, and the bottom post you'll run another set of wire. Do that for each speaker you want to supposedly bi-amp.

    Will it change the ohms ? No

    That being said, the TSI line is pretty easy to drive with any AVR. Maybe weigh in the cost of splitters, extra IC's and extra speaker cable. Also note the top portion of that speaker probably uses less than 20 watts, maybe even less than 10 so what ever power you feed it, what it doesn't use will be lost and not available to the other channels. Follow ?

    You didn't mention the receiver your using or other speakers either. Subwoofer ? Is there something your not liking about the sound that makes you want to use this bi-amp idea ? Personally, I would sell both amps and buy one better 2 channel amp and let the receiver handle the rest. Just my .02

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Personally, I would sell both amps and buy one better 2 channel amp and let the receiver handle the rest. Just my .02
    This right here will be the biggest, most positive impact you can make on sound.

    True active bi-amping requires you to use separate amps, an active crossover and bypassing the passive crossovers in the speakers as F1nut pointed out.
    Passive by-amping isn't going to gain you much at all as a 3db increase in volume at a given gain level requires double the power. And at 80 watts --> 160 watts, that power is going to be wasted because as Tony said, the high frequency side of your TSis will only require/use 20 watts or less.

    *If* you are using a quality AVR or surround pre/pro(I assume so since you are using a separate amp), the amp section should easily handle the remainder of the 5.1 system and a 2 channel amp will be of greater benefit.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I was just thinking because the emotiva umc-200 7.1 processor and the upa-700 are both 7 channels. Im only running 5.1 so I had to open channels still. The processor is compatible of 5.1 and bi amping the front channels with the two remainder channels

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,107

    Default

    Yeah, we get that my friend. But, for the sake of a movie sound experience why not just add 2 more speakers ? Seems that would benefit you more than bi-amping speakers that really don't need it.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Ok thanks guys

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkeljr View Post
    the reason I asked about the ohms because not sure how they are wired. with the bus bars connecting the two connectors, makes them parallel. if I remove them the ohms change?

    correct me if im wrong.
    if 8ohms coils
    no that shouldn't be the case it just separates the high and the lows both woofers will be the same

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Yeah, we get that my friend. But, for the sake of a movie sound experience why not just add 2 more speakers ? hope you'll get some benefit from this....

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samreddevilz View Post
    Yeah, we get that my friend. But, for the sake of a movie sound experience why not just add 2 more speakers ? hope you'll get some benefit from this....
    Why do you keep parroting others quotes. If you have nothing to add but others quotes as your own just go away.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Yeah, we get that my friend. But, for the sake of a movie sound experience why not just add 2 more speakers ? Seems that would benefit you more than bi-amping speakers that really don't need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by samreddevilz View Post
    Yeah, we get that my friend. But, for the sake of a movie sound experience why not just add 2 more speakers ? hope you'll get some benefit from this....
    see here^^^^^

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    The impedance doesn't change with your proposed arrangements because the high and low ends both have about 8 Ohms in their nominal frequency ranges, just much higher impedance for the frequencies that they don't service. So when wired in parallel they present 8 Ohms across the board, but are still 8 Ohms when separated at the frequencies that matter respectively for each driver. Unless you are really power starved and are getting noticable distortion from the amplifier (not the speakesr!) with your current setup there is no reason to consider biamping.

    F1Nut is right however, you have little to gain by bi-amping here. To get enough of what biamping has give to worth the trouble, you need low level crossovers AHEAD of two separate power amplifiers and bypassing/elimination of the crossover components in the speakers.(this reqiures brain surgery on the speakers) Unless you know what you are up to and have knowledge of the responses of the unprotected drivers in the particular speaker you are working with I do not recommend real world bi-amping since you can fry the tweeter a/o midrange speaker if the crossover is not set up properly before powering the amplifiers.

    The plus side is that with your proposed arrangement you aren't going to hurt anything, just don't expect much.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Westfield, Indiana
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Ok... I read it. And I will have to read it 5 more times to understand it...lol
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

    Working on updating my set up

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Bi Amping my 2.3s
    By hogsfly in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
  2. Need Help Bi-Amping
    By Merlot in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
  3. Bi-amping sda 2.1
    By motorstereo in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
  4. bi-amping Rti-4's
    By aaharvel in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 11:16 PM
  5. Bi-amping
    By jdhdiggs in forum Electronics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts