Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 60
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default Should I upgrade from LSi9 front to LSi25?

    Hi, all, I have been using LSi9s for my front pair for my 7.2 Home Theater Setup for the past 4 years, and noticed that the price of LSi25s have dropped from $3,000/pair to $1,300/pair. This makes me seriously consider getting or upgrading my front speakers to the 25s. Would I notice much difference if I upgrade?
    I have two subwoofers now, and I know that the 25s have active/powered subwoofers built into them also. I am not really looking for more bass by the way.
    Any inputs would be appreciated.
    Again, I do not listen to Music much, about 20% of the time, and mostly use my setup for watching the movies.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,278

    Default

    You would for sure notice the diff even if you are using subs, if it was me though I would rather go for the lsi15's

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    The sexiness of the LSI towers alone is with the upgrade over the 9s :)

    One day i'll own a pair if I can find a spot for them in my future house.. maybe man cave for 2 channel music or something.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Why bother with the 15s when one would need to upgrade the subs in them. he don't need the extra low bass anyways so go for the top of the line 25s.. there bigger meaner looking to boot.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    690

    Default

    For HT I would not upgrade from LSi-9 with subs to LSi-25.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Thanks for the feedbacks.
    I know that the looks of the LSi25 is very nice, but thinking more of what difference they would make in an overall sound quality, should I stick with my current setup then? I hear varying opinions, some saying that it would make a difference and some saying that it won't......
    Has anyone used both side by side to compare critically?
    Thanks.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NW Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    I prefer the 15's over the 25's. The 15's with an upgraded sub are MUCH less than the 25's and still allow you to use subs down low and sound good. The woofer upgrade is very low cost. Figure you pay 75 bucks for both subs off Amazon, and sell your stock 8" subs for enough its a very cheap easy upgrade.

    That said it isnt something you HAVE to do.

    The 25's are simply to hard to incorporate with subs and the 15's go low but not super low and are not nearly as sloppy IMHO.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I am satisfied with the bass I have with my current two subwoofers and am not looking for more bass.
    In that case, should I go for the LSi15s and would I still notice an overall sound improvement than the current LSi9s then?
    Thanks.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NW Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnier View Post
    I am satisfied with the bass I have with my current two subwoofers and am not looking for more bass.
    In that case, should I go for the LSi15s and would I still notice an overall sound improvement than the current LSi9s then?
    Thanks.
    I like the 15's so much I sold my PSW125 and dont miss it honestly. They will have more bass than the 9's but also more mids IMHO and give you lots of tweaking options with your crossovers with your subs as well.

    They also sound GREAT in direct mode so you can listen to music pretty good and dont feel like you need a sub.

    But at the end of the day its all about how it sounds to you and your ears.

    There might be some folks around here with some 15's they might be looking to sell that could be local and at a better price than Polks ebay site. Might be worth posting a wanted ad and seeing what turns up.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    I'd skip the LSi25's and move right on over to LSiM707's!

    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim707
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    I'd skip the LSi25's and move right on over to LSiM707's!

    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim707
    LSiM707 is currently $4,000/pair. Maybe in 10-15 years, it will be $1,500, and I will consider it then.
    So, I guess you are saying that Floorstanding "LSi25" would be better than the bookshelf LSi9?
    Do you have the LSiM707? How do they sound?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,296

    Default

    I do not own them. I own two pairs of 1.2TL's

    I've never heard the LSi25's, I've heard the LSi15's and I wasn't impressed. I've heard the 707's twice and I was very Impressed.

    If Polk came to my house tonight and said I'll give you a pair of LSi25's for a pair of your 1.2tl's I'd tell them to leave.

    If they said they have a pair of 707's I'd help them load the 1.2tl's into their truck.

    If I only owned one pair of 1.2tl's then I wouldn't make the trade. I had the 1.2TL's in a 5.1 surround system and they sounded amazing.



    Quote Originally Posted by garnier View Post
    LSiM707 is currently $4,000/pair. Maybe in 10-15 years, it will be $1,500, and I will consider it then.
    So, I guess you are saying that Floorstanding "LSi25" would be better than the bookshelf LSi9?
    Do you have the LSiM707? How do they sound?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    If you're looking for a positive change and will spend around $1,300. why not look at the LSiM 703's...

    eBay store has those for under $1,300 IIRC.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

    2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Yes if your fine with bookshelves for fronts then look to the 703s. Seriously. I got my 703s for $573.70 EA plus tax at Polk Direct. YMMV. If your happy with your subs then that's what you should be looking at.

    Though If you would be wanting a 5.1 setup then that's something to link about as the end price would be a ton more matching those LSiMs over just grabbing a pair of 25s.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I have been thinking all over the night.
    LSIM 703s looks nice, but cost even more than the Floorstanding LSi25s.
    I am sure the 703s will sound better than my current LSi9s.
    But I am not ready to upgrade to the LSiM level, especially if the rest of my setups are composed all of the LSis currently, I don't want to have the LSiMs just for my front speakers (4 ohms vs 8 ohms, ect.).
    I think having more bass will not hurt, and I can sell my LSi9s for around $500-600 nowadays according to E-Bay.
    The ideal situation without having to worry about the money would be switching to $8,000 LSiM 7-speaker system, but I live in a real world so, I will forget about that.
    I have always wanted to get a pair of the LSi25s, it's just that it was so expensive 3-4 years ago, costing 2.5x more than what they have become.
    I think it is time for me grab the pair, whether I notice the difference compared to my current LSi9s or not, just for the sake of having bought the LSi25s, as long as they won't sound worse than the LSi9s......
    Will see if I change my mind again over this weekend, if no change of mind, then will order a pair of LSi 25s next week finally......

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    I wouldn't make that purchase if you have quality subwoofers, unless it was for aesthetics or some reason other than sound.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnier View Post
    I have been thinking all over the night.
    LSIM 703s looks nice, but cost even more than the Floorstanding LSi25s.
    I am sure the 703s will sound better than my current LSi9s.
    But I am not ready to upgrade to the LSiM level, especially if the rest of my setups are composed all of the LSis currently, I don't want to have the LSiMs just for my front speakers (4 ohms vs 8 ohms, ect.).
    I think having more bass will not hurt, and I can sell my LSi9s for around $500-600 nowadays according to E-Bay.
    The ideal situation without having to worry about the money would be switching to $8,000 LSiM 7-speaker system, but I live in a real world so, I will forget about that.
    I have always wanted to get a pair of the LSi25s, it's just that it was so expensive 3-4 years ago, costing 2.5x more than what they have become.
    I think it is time for me grab the pair, whether I notice the difference compared to my current LSi9s or not, just for the sake of having bought the LSi25s, as long as they won't sound worse than the LSi9s......
    Will see if I change my mind again over this weekend, if no change of mind, then will order a pair of LSi 25s next week finally......
    Since this is something that you have always wanted I say go for it. What will you be driving them with? Make sure you are feeding them plenty of power so that they operate to their full potential.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 05-04-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Since this is something that you have always wanted I say go for it. What will you be driving them with? Make sure you are feeding them plenty of power so that they operate to their full potential.
    Would the LSi25 require more power than my LSi9s?
    I am using McIntosh MC207 200 wpc @4ohms 7-Channel Amplifier right now.
    Thanks.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (37)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas area
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    To answer the title of the thread, I'd say "no."

    I noticed very little difference between my 9's and 15's.

    I don't think it's an upgrade that's worth the money.

    I did sell my 9's for 703's and...that's where it's at. I understand not wanting to mix LSi and LSiM, but here's a link for you to consider anyway: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...FECT-condition.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post
    To answer the title of the thread, I'd say "no."

    I noticed very little difference between my 9's and 15's.

    I don't think it's an upgrade that's worth the money.

    I did sell my 9's for 703's and...that's where it's at. I understand not wanting to mix LSi and LSiM, but here's a link for you to consider anyway: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...FECT-condition.
    I could not go to the link that you provided, because it says that "my post number is less than 100".
    Anyway, if you are speaking from an experiency with both bookshelf and floorstanding LSi series, then I will consider upgrading to the LSiM 703s, even though it is more expensive than the bigger floorstanding LSi25s with the subwoofers in them, not that they are the reasons that one speaker is better than another.
    Thank you for your feedback, that would help me a lot in deciding in my situation.

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (37)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas area
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    Odd since you have 107 posts. Maybe pm a mod about that.

    To clarify something in my post. When I say I noticed little difference between the 9's and 15's, that's in my HT with a sub. The difference between the 9's and 703's was in my 2-channel without a sub.

    Some seem to think the 703 is the gem of the LSiM line when considering cost/performance.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    5,579

    Default

    I'd steer clear of the 25. You don't want more bass so what's the point? Consider the lsim, give me 703 over any lsi
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    As long as using the 8 ohms LSiM 703 is timbre-matched with the rest of my 4 ohms setup, i.d. LSi9s for the Rear Surround, LSiF/Xs for the Side Surround, and LSiC for the Center, I will go for the LSiM then, not that impedance is related to the timbre, but I wanted to maintain the same line up for all the speakers in my setup, if possible.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    One quick Link emphasizing about matching up the Timbre in your system:
    http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...round-speakers

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Macomb Michigan
    Posts
    542

    Default

    I'm sure the old LSi don't timbre match the new line so i'd say grab your LSi25s and be happy.. years from now when the newer line goes way down in price (usually 10 years from launch or when they release the next level of LSi) upgrade to the LSiM.

    IF you think you can get by going back to standard stereo for awhile then sure go with the LSiM 705s or 703s for stereo and add on to them when you can.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

    Loving the new Family! :)

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    I'm sure the old LSi don't timbre match the new line so i'd say grab your LSi25s and be happy.. years from now when the newer line goes way down in price (usually 10 years from launch or when they release the next level of LSi) upgrade to the LSiM.

    IF you think you can get by going back to standard stereo for awhile then sure go with the LSiM 705s or 703s for stereo and add on to them when you can.
    I think you have given me the straightest answer so far and I will go with your proposal.
    I will get a pair of LSi25s indeed an be happy with it.
    I will post a picture of my setup when I am done with the change then.
    Thanks guys, for all of your ideas!

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnier View Post
    Would the LSi25 require more power than my LSi9s?
    I am using McIntosh MC207 200 wpc @4ohms 7-Channel Amplifier right now.
    Thanks.
    DROOL.....Very nice amp that will power the LSI 25s very nicely! Go for it and enjoy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NW Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Hope you enjoy your LSi's as much as I do.

    I have been loving them for 2 years going strong and dont see that changing anytime soon.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnier View Post
    Hi, all, I have been using LSi9s for my front pair for my 7.2 Home Theater Setup for the past 4 years, and noticed that the price of LSi25s have dropped from $3,000/pair to $1,300/pair. This makes me seriously consider getting or upgrading my front speakers to the 25s. Would I notice much difference if I upgrade?
    I have two subwoofers now, and I know that the 25s have active/powered subwoofers built into them also. I am not really looking for more bass by the way.
    Any inputs would be appreciated.
    Again, I do not listen to Music much, about 20% of the time, and mostly use my setup for watching the movies.
    Thanks.
    Where are you located? Maybe someone close to you has a pair. I got all my lsim's at a third off from an authorized dealer. You could get the lsim703's and 704 center for around $1600.

    I'd take a pair of lsi9's with a good sub over the lsi 25's
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 05-04-2013 at 04:24 PM.

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    I feel like you're just dropping $1,300 for no real upgrade...

    If I'm going to spend that kind of coin, I better get something out of it. I don't think you really are at all.

    I'm pretty sure there is a reason why even Matthew Polk ran LSi 9's and not the 15/25's...
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

    2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help TSI500 or LSI9 or LSI25
    By easyrider in forum Speakers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
  2. Lsi25 vs. Lsi9 with Subwoofers.
    By be83663 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
  3. right front LSi25 speaker running warm
    By pmckeealaska in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 08:21 PM
  4. right front LSi25 speaker running warm
    By pmckeealaska in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 07:45 PM
  5. LSi25 or LSi9 with subwoofer
    By jazznsoccer in forum Speakers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts