Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 Addition

Well, I'm a little late to the game but I picked up a nicely used W4S DAC-2. I chose this DAC based on the reviews and all the write-ups from Polk members. Also, I decided not to purchase an entry level DAC ($200-400) hoping for a significant improvement over my Sonos player. I could not be more happy with the purchase. It was very easy to do A/B comparisons against the Sonos via input selection with level adjustment. Immediately, I could identify the DAC-2 being very detailed and dynamic over the Sonos. The bass is very tight and fast. The highs and mids are smooth, cleaner with more detail. I would say this DAC just sounded more musical and this was noticed with every song that I've played so far. I use to enjoy the quality coming from the Sonos. But after listening to this DAC for an extended period and then returning to the Sonos alone, I could not live without this DAC in my set-up. It will be around for a long time. This is my first external dedicated DAC so I have not compared it to anything else but I would say that this has been one of the best improvements (so far) that I've made to my system in terms of SQ.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Thanks...that's the one remaining DAC in my price range that I'd like to audition.

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Don't you just love new equipment that upgrades your system?
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    Don't you just love new equipment that upgrades your system?
    Yep. When you hook up something and it immediately puts a smile on your face is an awesome feeling.

I forgot in the original post. Thanks to all Polk members on feedback and reviews on this unit. It made my decision and satisfaction that much easier.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats man, sweet dac no doubt.

comparing the 2 though is apples and oranges. A 1500 dac better sound better than the cheap dac in a 350 buck music streamer. That's why we always recommend a separate dac for music streamers.....at least the cheaper ones anyway. Their ok for a casual listening on their own but a separate dac elevates them to a good cdp status.

Again, congrats man, you made a wise choice.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

As it burns in, it will sound even better!

Thread Information