Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Love my LSiM703's

I just about have my system setup.

I chose the speakers based on the recommendations of people here on the Forum. No store in Cincinnati had them on display so I made my decision as I said from the comments others here had made. And I have no regrets. They sound as good or better than what I expected. So thank you everyone for convincing me.

Right now I have them hooked up to a custom 'Dynaco' based amp referred to as the VTA ST-120. Basically it looks like a Dynaco ST-70 but puts out 60 watts per channel in ultralinear mode and 35 WAC in triode mode. I purchased an SP10 preamp from the same company. The owners of this company sell either kits or assembled components. I chose to let them do the assembly. Their work is impeccable. They use modern, upgraded components that will work with original Dynaco amps but they have basically redesigned the PCB of the amp and use more reliable, better made resistors, caps, diodes, transformers, etc.

I said I bought the SP10 preamp from them but after hearing about how the SP12 preamp they sell uses an upgraded power supply and 2 tubes per channel instead of 1 on the SP10 I asked if they would let me upgrade. They did and I'll have the new preamp on Monday.

That's not to say the SP10 was bad. It's just that people on their forum praised the dynamics and soundstage of the SP12. I had the SP10 plugged in and listened for perhaps 12 hours. It really did compliment the amp.

I purchased the amp with an attenuator installed so I could plug in a CD player and use the attenuator as a volume control...but I could also connect a preamp, turn the attenuator all the way up so it bypasses acting as a volume control.
    With the SP10 plugged in I could only turn the volume up to the 9 o'clock position before it started getting quite loud. I live in a condo so I didn't want piss off the neighbors.

Anyway...I am quite happy with my system and I can only imagine it getting better as the amp and preamp components go through the breaking cycle.

I used a Sony receiver to breaking my LSiM703's and I am really happy with. I'm not sure if I would have liked the 705 or 707's. Incidentally I used 30" Sanus Ultimates as the stands. I haven't added any extra weight and feel at this time these were also a good suggestion by other forum members here.

Cheers...Blake

Member Sales Rating: (13)

That's a sweet rig you've put together. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Glad to hear your happy with your nice set up..sounds like you made some great choices. Enjoy :)

Glad we could help. Even better that you are getting so much enjoyment from them.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying them. They are sweet speakers. Nice setup BTW.

Thanks again...by the way I'm currently using a Marantz CD5004 as my primary sound source. It's nice but its a single disk player. I have Sony 5 disk CD player I have hooked up to my Sony receiver. It's only a few months old. I'll probably try that as a sound source on my tube system and hope the sound quality is good enough. As I like the convenience of being able to listen without having to change CDs. Eventually I'll be looking at a turntable as well. Perhaps a Thorens TD235-2 or Technics SL1200Mk2.

5 spinners are notoriously lacking in sound quality, especially the regular ones from Sony. I'd stick with the Marantz for now. You do realize that with a TT you'll be filpping sides every 20 or so, right?

BTW, are you looking for some nice speaker cables?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Nice system, Good to see that the tubes are driving the LSiM's well.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Great to hear you're enjoying the new LSi. Their specs make them a good match with your modified ST-70.
    You must be doing some long listening sessions to want a 5 disc changer. I agree with F1nut's advice.
    Enjoy the new speakers.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Nice system, Good to see that the tubes are driving the LSiM's well.
    Right now I'm using 12 gauge speaker cable ...I probably will in the near future.

I have about 150 LPs ...I do realize ill flip the records every 20 minutes or so....I have one LP I would like converted to a FLAC or WAV file format. I found the CD on amazon for $188. It was a limited edition import. If I could find a way to do that without buying a turntable I probably would.

I may use the single disk player as a primary source and the 5 disk as a second source on the preamp.
    Last edited by Sprags; 05-05-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added info

What is the CD?

Very Together by Eumir Deodato released in 1976.

My mistake. It sells for $148.
    Last edited by Sprags; 05-05-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Sorry, I don't have that one.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Sorry, I don't have that one.
    Not too many do that I know of....I happened to have 2 LPs though because when I looked I found my LPs have water damage even though I have them in heavy duty Rubbermaid containers that the movers dropped and cracked. Now all the LPs have sleeves stuck to the vinyl and the covers are pretty much shot.

As soon as I saw that I found I could buy the LP for $148 or a vinyl in like new condition for $7. I jumped on the used one.

Thread Information