Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default XPR-1 Review for EMO fans

Much awaited reviews coming in..
    Excellent review
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...xpr1-amplifier

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Requires a 20 amp line! Looks hefty!

Not really.. only if you go and crank the volume and trip a breaker. Lots have stated one can just use a 20 to 15 amp convertor for it or just swap in a 20 amp outlet on the 15 amp line.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Wow, a review on Audioholics is a must read!

I would take a peak at it but life is way to short...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Why was their Review of the Pass Labs X350.5 not good enough..
    They explain their testing procedures quite thoroughly..

AH has some of the most rigorous and vetted testing around. They have Josh Ricci doing their sub reviews. The articles on Amplifier slew rate and gain staging are must reads. I read them for the editorial content primarily. AVS is also doing a great job by bringing Scott Wilkerson on board. Guy does some great interviews.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Audioholics is a joke. AVS is as well. The testing isn't real world it's lab specs. Last time I checked we don't listen to our gear in the lab. It's ridiculous, IMO. And I don't care if it's Emo, Pass, Krell or McIntosh. I don't use their writings as a resource.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 05-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Last time I checked we don't listen to our gear in the lab.

H9
    It's certainly designed there. And when it's voiced (in the case of speakers) it certainly isn't voiced to your or my room either. I also like PETT and HTGuide for what they seem to provide the enthusiasts.
    So hot it burns twice

They are equivalent to Consumer Reports, not for enthusiasts. When the very first line of a review on an amplifier starts how with "how green is it?", it has nothing to do with being an enthusiast.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

They are equivalent to Consumer Reports, not for enthusiasts. When the very first line of a review on an amplifier starts how with "how green is it?", it has nothing to do with being an enthusiast.

H9
    ?? I just read the first paragraph titled "Introduction" and can't find "how green is it?" I think it's an interesting question but may not be a concern to the audience that would purchase it. I could imaging lower idle current may have an affect on component lifespan due to lack of heat(?)
    Name:  howgreenitis.png
Views: 379
Size:  64.0 KB

What is it that is equivalent to Consumer Reports? Are you talking about the analytics? Don't see the problem with that.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    Not really.. only if you go and crank the volume and trip a breaker.
    That's incorrect. If you were to run any amp requiring a 20 amp service off a 15 amp line, then switched to a 20 amp line you would hear the improvement at any volume level.

Lots have stated one can just use a 20 to 15 amp convertor for it
    See above.

or just swap in a 20 amp outlet on the 15 amp line.
    Completely against electrical code.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The testing isn't real world it's lab specs.
    Correct and lab specs cannot tell you how a piece of gear sounds.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Ears on. Caveat Emptor and all that. Be interesting to see some reviews in the wild.
    So hot it burns twice

There was a guy saying he ran 3 of those XPR amps off a 15amp circuit and all was fine at loud volumes without tripping a breaker. Said he didn't want to try louder as for fear of breaking the windows haha.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Eclypse..F1nut is correct in his post answers..
    Even the review says you can power in on a 15amp service but to fully unleash this beast you need a 20amp service..

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    Ears on. Caveat Emptor and all that. Be interesting to see some reviews in the wild.
    A look at the list of "recommended" brands has me scratching my head. Polk Audio not mentioned but Bang & Olafson for speakers???

No thanks.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 05-07-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

It would seem to me that a review which starts with Although it lacks the snob appeal of some of the expensive and prestigious brands is either pushing an agenda, or trying to rationalize some unstated shortcomings. What is expensive in this case? $2000? $20,000?

That said I am sure it is a fine $1500 amp. However, I wonder why the Bryston 28B-SST2 does not require a 20 amp line, and costs $9600. I guess the 20 year warranty and snob appeal add up.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=BY28BSST2

Member Sales Rating: (4)

There was a guy saying he ran 3 of those XPR amps off a 15amp circuit and all was fine at loud volumes without tripping a breaker. Said he didn't want to try louder as for fear of breaking the windows haha.
    Loud is one thing. Having audio produced with clarity and detail is another.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That right there should have told ya something. Also, if you don't like fires, you need to have the proper rated wire in the wall between a breaker box and outlet. You don't just drop in a 20a outlet and call it a day. Anyone who does that I would seriously consider their review of anything audio dubious at best.

I'm sure it's a fine amp, like their others but I have yet to get an ear on anything they make that puts SQ as the number one priority over price. Who knows, maybe it will be this one......
    Last edited by tonyb; 05-07-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Loud is one thing. Having audio produced with clarity and detail is another.

Yeah, but unfortunately some don't understand that, if its loud, and can go boom, that's clarity and deep detailed bass
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    ?? I just read the first paragraph titled "Introduction" and can't find "how green is it?" I think it's an interesting question but may not be a concern to the audience that would purchase it. I could imaging lower idle current may have an affect on component lifespan due to lack of heat(?)

What is it that is equivalent to Consumer Reports? Are you talking about the analytics? Don't see the problem with that.
    Great. I never have and never will use AH or AVS reviews regardless of brand reviewed. Also you are incorrect in your assumption that lower idle current and lower heat levels mean longer life. There are many pure class A amps that have the same or longer lifespan and by the nature of the design run hot to very hot. If something is designed incorrectly or too many corners are cut, heat might become an issue in premature life. If done properly, it's never an issue beyond making sure you have proper ventilation which usually means no cabinet confinement or component stacking.

I am not picking on this post because of EMO, but because I personally think AH lacks any sort of credibility when it comes to knowing what sounds good vs. great vs. exceptional. That is IMO and if one feels differently then that's your own opinion.

H9

Seems like no one will ever be happy when it comes to audio reviews of any kind, not just Audioholics. Of course reviews of amps don't tell you how they sound... but they can give you objective measurements so you can compare them to the measurements of other amps. Does that tell you how they'll sound in your room or with your speakers? Of course not... but then, no one possibly could. It just gives you a basis for comparison to other gear that they've tested, and there is value to that.

As far as the XPR-1 goes, I will never have speakers that require that kind of power... so that amp's not made for me. But it's good that they're making an amp for that market, if a market even exists for it (and I'm not sure one does outside of people who just want to say they have a 1kw amp).
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Measurements mean nothing, NOTHING. They don't tell you how something sounds nor how they will interact with other gear in a system.

Measurements compared across components don't really mean anything or relate how each will sound against each other. Just like horsepower, torque, 0-60 times, braking distance across automobiles won't give you a good indication of how the car rides, handles or responds compared to each other. Sure if the measurements are horrid then that's a good indicator to lower your expectations.

It's good to know if an amp can or cannot drive a 4 ohm load, but you can't really tell by looking at wattage specs. Someone needs to test for that specifically, so while I don't believe measurements have much use they can be indicators in some narrow instances to help make a decision. But they will never really tell you how something sounds.

H9

P.s. Look at these specs, if one strictly made decisions based on specs, this wouldn't even get a 2nd look. It's among the best amplifiers I've heard for reproducing audio and I have yet to run out of juice.

Gain 20 dB balanced, 26 dB single ended

Freq. Response - 0.5 dB @ 2 Hz, -1.5 dB @ 100 KHz

Power Output 30 watts/ch @ 8 ohms, 40 watts @ 4 ohms

Maximum Output 25 volts, 5 amps

Distortion (1KHz) 0.2% @ 30 watts, 8 ohms

Input Impedance 47 Kohm single-ended, 52 Kohm differential

Damping factor 100

Crosstalk > -80 dB 20-20 KHz

Balanced Input Rejection -50 dB typical CMRR

Output Noise < 500 uV unweighted

Random noise floor 5 uV typical

DC offset < 100 mv

Power Consumption 200 watts

Temperature 25 degrees C. above ambient

Dimensions 17 " W x 15.5" D x 5.5" H

Shipping Weight 45 lb.
    Last edited by heiney9; 05-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Wow! EMOtiva posts sure stir up EMOtion!

Lets face it....there ARE snob esoteric brands in audio just like any other industry. There is nothing wrong with this!!! On the flip side, there are quality products made in China that bring a certain level of performance to the masses. There is nothing wrong with this either.

But at what point or cost does it take to move from Mid-fi to Hi-Fi? If a $1500 AVR is the lower to middle what does it take to move up to the "HIGH END" audiophile level? A $5000+ amp to start?

I say its all about the music...enjoy it! and power to the people...rather it be Emo or Bryston ! Its great to have choices in every price segment.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Name:  Emo-Truck-e1300863683637.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Wow! EMOtiva posts sure stir up EMOtion!

Lets face it....there ARE snob esoteric brands in audio just like any other industry. There is nothing wrong with this!!! On the flip side, there are quality products made in China that bring a certain level of performance to the masses. There is nothing wrong with this either.

But at what point or cost does it take to move from Mid-fi to Hi-Fi? If a $1500 AVR is the lower to middle what does it take to move up to the "HIGH END" audiophile level? A $5000+ amp to start?

I say its all about the music...enjoy it! and power to the people...rather it be Emo or Bryston ! Its great to have choices in every price segment.
    As long as it isn't a snob esoteric brand . Nice inflammatory opening and then soft back peddle. Can you say hypocrite?

H9

Name:  Emo-bunny_c_102110.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  78.9 KB

Great. I never have and never will use AH or AVS reviews regardless of brand reviewed. Also you are incorrect in your assumption that lower idle current and lower heat levels mean longer life.
    Did you notice the (?). I wasn't making any assumption. I don't know if it's idle current draw is simply due to design and a by-product or intentionally sought after goal. All I know either way is if you are purchasing $1500 or $15,000 monoblocks you most likely aren't concerned about your electric bill.
    So hot it burns twice

Looks like they knocked it out of the park again. After listening to the UPA-200 ($349!, new), I have a lot of respect for the quality for dollar they are capable of. Just a tremendous success story for an American company to deliver these kinds of goods for those prices. Just crushing the overpriced competition. Love it.

Thread Information