First time poster here, so hopefully I have the correct section. I'm going to try my best to concisely explain my situation, while providing all the details (I believe) I'd need to share. Please let me know if I've missed anything!
I purchased a Denon AVR-2112CI almost two years ago and after upgrading my front speakers to Polk Audio 75Ts, I think I blew the receiver. Basically, when I try turning it on, it turns off and blinks red (power protection mode), even without anything connected to it (speakers or components). It may be an easy fix and is under warranty - but the fact that the unit would shut off at higher volumes (when a movie scene was intense [audio]), I find the receiver unacceptable (but please educate me if I'm missing something!).
I currently have a 5.1 system for my home theater set-up, and 2 speakers on my back patio connected to my receiver's "zone 2" speaker pegs (can also be used to enable a 7.1 system, but I use it so I can have music out back too). My receiver is a Denon AVR-2112CI as mentioned above.
- Front speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 75T (Link)
- Center speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Series II (Link)
- Rear speakers: Polk Audio RM8 Satellites (Link)
- Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW110 (Link)
- Back patio speakers: Yamaha NS-AW150W 2-Way Outdoor Speakers (Link)
- As mentioned above, I had issues with the Denon 2112CI shutting off while watching movie scenes with some intense audio. I like to watch my movies loud - but to be honest, I don't think I was listening to my movies too loud. Does this mean I need another separate amp for my speakers? I do not think this would be possible with my current receiver since it does not have preamp outputs, correct?
- I'm thinking about getting my Denon repaired under the warranty and selling it so I can upgrade my receiver. Given my speaker setup, what would your recommendation on a receiver be? I'm looking for something to work well with my current speaker setup, be amazing for movies, have at least 2 zone control (hopefully where it can downmix the audio to stereo for zone 2 playback since it's only a 2.0 system in my backyard), can drive a sub and possible 2 in the future (if that's recommended), and a plus would be to have an ethernet port to connect to my home network and possibly even be controlled via an android app. My budget would be something under $800, but if spending up to $1,200 would make a significant difference in getting what I want/need - please let me know.
- I've been reading around and see that people are getting 7.2 or 9.2 systems. If I end up getting a new receiver, do you recommend this? Will it greatly enhance my blu-ray movie viewing experience?
- Do you recommend I upgrade my subwoofer?
- I read somewhere that it is recommended to upgrade the Polk Audio 75T tweaters to THESE. I read it HERE. Is there any truth to this - is it recommended? It's a pretty cheap upgrade if it's worth it.
Thank you to everyone for any advice/help on my situation. I greatly appreciate it!