Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Measurements mean nothing, NOTHING. They don't tell you how something sounds nor how they will interact with other gear in a system.
    So would you prefer that there were no reviews from the enthusiast press? I think everyone who reads these reviews understands that they aren't going to tell you how something sounds in your room, with your gear. I see the measurements more as a confirmation that the amp performs as the company's specs claim, and can often show weaknesses that the amp design may have (such as not being able to handle 4ohm loads, etc.).

It's much the same in enthusiast reviews of anything, really. Someone could tell me that the Blu-ray of a movie has the sharpest 1080p video and best-sounding 7.1 lossless audio... but I may still hate that movie. The question is whether the product itself is up to par. Also, the enthusiast press tends to be people who are as into this hobby as you, with some of the same biases... Whether you trust individual reviewers is up to you, because that's typically about their pedigree. For instance, I'm not familiar with Gene DellaSalla, so anything I read from him, I focus mostly on the numbers and not how he thinks it sounds. But a review from someone like John E. Johnson, Jr. over at Secrets, I tend to give a little more weight to his opinion of the amp's character, because I'm familiar with his experience with many brands and his knowledge.

Speaking of which, he just reviewed the XPR-1 as well:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power...amplifier.html
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Member Sales Rating: (0)

As long as it isn't a snob esoteric brand . Nice inflammatory opening and then soft back peddle. Can you say hypocrite?H9
    Yes! HYPOCRITE!
    Well designed, High quality innovative products are just that to some....maybe I should have left out "snob" given this is a general audio forum? Most are enthusiast. Maybe I'm off base, don't know...you tell me?

The truth is many that venture into quality better performing products do so for that very reason. This same person that has a rack of Krell amps would not have a problem picking up a couple of the Emo XPR-1 amps an comparing them to his collection ...just because he is interested in what performance both products are bringing to the table. How many think this will ever happen? What's the point......correct?

However, look at this post....not only is the brand getting picked apart, also the reviewing web sites, etc. are getting picked apart.

We all understand why a hand made in CAN Bryston amp with a 20 yr warranty is priced as such....because they want to appeal to a higher end segment and they won't sell as many units at their given price.

In contrast, some of the super high priced audio items (Some absurd priced IC's come to mind) are solely priced for the $250K+ salary a year crowd thet get off on the snob effect of owning such expensive items. I get it! However, a quality and performance minded consumer can pick through the hype.

Make no mistake, I get the need to have an $8000 Bryston 5 ch available and a $900 Emotiva 5 ch available in the marketplace. I GET IT! Do you?
    Last edited by WLDock; 05-07-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Most of you people posting h here are extremely contradictory in

Most of you people posting here are extremely contradictory in your postings

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    blah blah blah
    Summarized it for you.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Everything OK Down By The River?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Everything OK Down By The River?
    Yep stupid Mobil app!

All AH reviews are crap excepting the glowing one on the Polk LSiM. That one is spot on
    So hot it burns twice

Yep stupid Mobil app!
    Try upgrading the charging cable or my new superdeluxe $3000 txting app.
    So hot it burns twice

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    It would seem to me that a review which starts with Although it lacks the snob appeal of some of the expensive and prestigious brands is either pushing an agenda, or trying to rationalize some unstated shortcomings.
    I just laughed when I saw that line and closed the window; can't continue reading a review that is that biased.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Yep stupid Mobil app!
    Try getting this screw out of where it's fallen to, and then actually putting it where it's supposed to go in my BMW! I'd take a picture, bu I can't even get the right angle or enough light to where it's located. Cars are fun fun fun!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Most of you people posting here are extremely contradictory in your postings
    So are you calling me out or the majority of the posters on this forum? Tell us(you people) how and what we should post. Give us something!

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Summarized it for you.
    Same to you DSkip. You don't like what I am posting, stop the sarcasm then school me on something. I don't presume to be all knowing.

Man, you guys are an abrasive tag team. I come here to talk, learn, and to help...not to be poked or to fight. Can we all just get along?

Direct me to some of your posts, links on amps, or any useful discussions!
    Last edited by WLDock; 05-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

I'll be sure to fill everyone in on how the LSiMs sound with either Emo XPA-1s and XPA3 for center/surrounds or 2 XPA-1s for Fronts and XPA-5 for C/S and future speakers. If I cant afford all that I might just go with the XPR-5.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

I consider myself to still be wet behind the ears (I only got serious about this stuff 2 years ago), but I've had many opportunities to hear a multitude of higher end 2 channel systems now. I get it. I do. I don't buy into many reviews because there can be so much bias there. When I look at reviews, I focus on as many negative comments as I can. When I start seeing trends, I start to take notice. Anyone can get paid to write a great review and offer *mild* criticism of a speaker. It takes more to actually point out the flaws and go into details about the items issues instead of just gloss over them. I also don't trust any lab tests. I want to hear what people thought when they heard it, even though I'll still probably take the review for what its worth.

Outside of that, there are a handful of guys on this forum who have been doing this a long time. I listen to what they say more than ever because, as I've gotten more experience and better "ears", the things they've said and continue to say resonate with what I've experienced. Those are the one's that really get my attention.

On a further note about reviews, I also dismiss anything written by someone rooted in HT. There's nothing wrong with it, but the two (HT/2CH) are completely different monsters. It isn't hard to put together a kick-butt HT. It can damn near make you cry trying to get synergy in your 2CH though. It takes a different plan of attack to build each one, something that becomes overwhelmingly clear once you jump into 2CH with both feet in.

Your comment bothers me because its a slap in the face to those who continue up the chain. Some people do just buy out of snobbery, but comparing the lot of us to that is ignorant. Others listen to the music and choose what works best with their system. I don't get why people talk about how so and so moved from this $10,000 amp and got an Emotiva. Great for him, glad it worked out. That doesn't mean that said person has experience, just that he had a lot of money to spend on his system at one point. Synergy is king, and it might've been the case that those high dollar amps just didn't like his gear. Or, it could've been that he doesn't have enough listening time in on anyone's rig but his. Is there better gear he could've turned to over Emotiva? Possibly. Maybe he just bought into the hype of a "giant killer", much like he bought into the hype of an "elite" system before. There's two sides to every coin.

On a side note, I don't recall seeing anyone bash emotiva in this thread, just state their disdain for the review.

With that said its a good thing Emotiva has a 30 day no hassle/no questions asked return policy with 0 restock fees. Only loose shipping it back for trying them out.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

I have personally never heard an Emo amp, but I read the review, and do agree with the author on one point. Those blue led lights should go. I've only seen pics of these amps, but anytime I see an led bar graph, I just shake my head. Go with vu meters, ot a single led light.

I feel exactly the opposite way about the blue lights I like them more than a vu meter..
    To me a Macintosh amp looks painfully ugly like an arc welder..

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I feel exactly the opposite way about the blue lights I like them more than a vu meter..
    And to most of us, Mcintosh builds some of the classiest gear around. To me Emo is painfully ugly, kind of like looking at Phyllis Diller naked.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    All AH reviews are crap excepting the glowing one on the Polk LSiM. That one is spot on
    I see you picked up on that one too. After Audioholics gave a very positive review of Polk's new LSiM speakers the peanut gallery here was dead silent in their obvious belief that the staff at AH are not capable of writing a credible review. Not a peep mind you! Different day, different manufacture, different product & the floodgates opened. Oh so typical around here.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Out of all the bs that surrounds emo conversations this is my favorite post ever , I don't get hy everyone else is not laughing there ass of at this it's hilarious and border line genius

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    With that said its a good thing Emotiva has a 30 day no hassle/no questions asked return policy with 0 restock fees. Only loose shipping it back for trying them out.
    You do realize that shipping will easily run $150.00 EACH. right?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    Looks like they knocked it out of the park again. After listening to the UPA-200 ($349!, new), I have a lot of respect for the quality for dollar they are capable of. Just a tremendous success story for an American company to deliver these kinds of goods for those prices. Just crushing the overpriced competition. Love it.
    A closer look reveals it is less than crushing.

I did a quick check to see how green friendly the XPR-1 amp was. I measured roughly 50 watts idle power consumption which is very low for an amplifier of this power capability. Even with almost 10 watts of pure class A bias, this amp is efficient!
    Almost 10 watts in class A is less then impressive.

The Emotiva XPR-1 ripped through the 10Hz to 20kHz power sweep at 1 kilowatt like nobodyís business. Iíve never measured an amplifier that could produce 1 kilowatt full bandwidth before.
    Translated, he's never tested any amp that was rated at 1 kilowatt @ 8 ohms.

The power levels achieved by the XPR-1 for these tests are legendary. Into 8 ohms, the XPR-1 produced over 1.7 dB of dynamic headroom for 8 ohm loads and 2.13 dB for 4 ohm loads. A large power supply, lots of output devices and most importantly a very robust design really pulls off wonders here.
    Respectable headroom, but hardly legendary.

They are not rated to drive loads below 4 ohms, while the big amps from Musical Fidelity, McIntosh and Krell for example are rated down to at least 2 ohms and lower IIRC.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Really? While I am not against blaring blue lights in particular. The big glowing (softly) VU meters on the Onkyo Integra power amps and others are just drop dead sexy!
    --Gary--

To each their own, I grew up in the 80's therefore Led lights are more my style, I'm guessing you did not..
    I guess you speak for everyone on looks, yet I bet most have amps without meters...
    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    And to most of us, Mcintosh builds some of the classiest gear around. To me Emo is painfully ugly, kind of like looking at Phyllis Diller naked.

So cool that Emotiva bought Bob Carver's company. Now Carver will have the vast resources that a powerful company like Emotiva provides him. Carver just jumped into the big leagues, boys. Hopefully Carver fans will get the same types of products they've always drooled over for far more reasonable prices.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I personally like the looks of Emotiva Gear. Ugly it is not IMO!! I also love the look of Mcintosh gear, the VU meters on most classic gear is sexy..

John, quit the hate game already. The exterior build quality on their gear is top notch, very solid, jolida and dared's exterior build quality can't touch Emotiva's, they cheap out in that department, but for the record I'm only speaking on the gear I have seen with my own eyes..
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...