Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Not a lot of business majors here, are there? You don't get something for nothing. No such thing as a free lunch. Let that sink in for a bit. It's wonder some of you can get along in life based on some of the logic going on in this thread.

Absolutely nothing wrong with bringing lower priced gear to the masses.........but never mistake that as running with the big boys.

H9
    Actually I'm glad you brought this point up. Your are 100% correct. Crown has been getting rather rave reviews on the performance of their DriveCore based amps. The ability to work with Texas Instruments and custom develop an IC that takes 500 discrete components, all driven at 1.4Volts instead of 10 and guaranteed much tighter tolerances, and getting it to a single piece of sand on the front side.

There are big boys and then there are big boys. Just like a lot of the botique amp shops can't bring a modern HT Pre-Pro to market they also aren't going to be doing what the was done with DriveCore: Reduce part count, reduce driving voltage, significantly improve tolerances, and do all this while bringing down costs and improving reliability.
    So hot it burns twice

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    You seriously have lost it. Emotiva is changing nothing. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    When was the last time Rotel, Parasound, et all had the cash (ahem the sales) to gobble up a few other companies and bag (whether you love or hate him) an industry Icon (self promoter)?

They are very much changing the industry. Just not the 7 people here. I think they are ok with that
    So hot it burns twice

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Why do the posts from L&C and Jhayman make about as much sense as a teacher in a Charlie Brown cartoon?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    The current line might not increase, the new line will cost more. If prices aren't going up then why aren't they currently being made in TN? Big Dan has the fish on the line, and is reeling them in.
    Add one more to the list. What does one think when they say prices aren't going up? The new line is higher end, hence higher pricing (and larger margin).

"If prices aren't going up then why aren't they currently being made in TN?" Still trying to decipher that rather cryptic statement.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (49)

A fanboy of an audio company baffles my mind.. You have to be employed by them, be part owner, or just plan crazy!! Out of all the other audio company's out there, I have never seen "anything" like the EMO fanboys.. It's crazy!!!

I bet you get all teary eyed when you see an ad..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    A fanboy of an audio company baffles my mind.. You have to be employed by them, be part owner, or just plan crazy!! Out of all the other audio company's out there, I have never seen "anything" like the EMO fanboys.. It's crazy!!!

I bet you get all teary eyed when you see an ad..
    This is why these threads always go to crap. They can't handle criticism of the brand. For some reason, it becomes a personal attack.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    When was the last time Rotel, Parasound, et all had the cash (ahem the sales) to gobble up a few other companies and bag (whether you love or hate him) an industry Icon (self promoter)?
    1. They do not need to as they have there own core of folks just like Emo. They also have many many years of great solid gear and have also been very innovative. Rotel was one of the first to build Ice(class D) amps before Pioneer even thought of it.

2. umm John Curl is also an industry Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    This is why these threads always go to crap. They can't handle criticism of the brand. For some reason, it becomes a personal attack.
    Or one could also say that those who are critical of the brand feel the need to post in these threads every single time the name is mentioned. Not saying there isn't an element of fanboyism at work... but the usual suspects also seem to feel the need to chime in with the usual nonsense every single time. Is it really so awful that people LIKE Emotiva's products? Why does that threaten anyone? Just sayin'... The sword cuts both ways on this matter.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

WOW, and I thought the car audio forums were crazy. The Emo/Carver ride is going to be interseting to say the least.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You can't seriously think that Emotiva paid Carver anywhere near what it would cost to buy a company like Rotel or Parasound. Why would Rotel or Parasound want to buy Carver to begin with, they don't need his skills or need to improve their image.

They are very much changing the industry.
    How so? There are other companies that were doing direct sales long before at reduced prices, some successful, some not. I seem to recall a company called AV123 that had the same business model with the same type of customer base and they all thought the same thing of their leader. We all know how that story ended.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Just read the review again. Wow. Simply stunning. It really is amazing how they've single-handedly demystified home audio amplification. The veil has been lifted. The emperor has no clothes and we're finally free to acknowledge it. Down goes Carver - soon we'll all be able to buy his products directly from Emotiva, at a tenth of their previous prices. It's so exciting to think about which one is next. Krell? Bryston? Classe? This is one of the most exciting times in audio history, and we owe it all to Emotiva and Big Dan.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Congrats L&C, you just made my BOZO list.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I don't see what the big deal is.. Whats wrong with the common man being able to buy great audio equipment at prices they can afford?
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Better late than never.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is.. Whats wrong with the common man being able to buy great audio equipment at prices they can afford?
    Nothing at all. Some people just can't grasp the idea that everyone's taste and budget isn't the same. The same people that call out Emotiva owners as fanboys are the same folks that do the same thing to SDA's and other equipment they own. There's no difference.

I personally have no issues with Emotiva. I just get tired of their gear constantly being represented as the holy grail of audio. "Why spend more? you've already got Emotiva!"

I'm tired of ignorance. This pig is going back to his sty since nothing productive will come from the rest of this thread.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Imagine if 5 or 6 of the same people squatted on every Dared thread, or every NAD thread, and chirped on incessantly about how inferior those products were to others. It's just bizarre. They're so threatened by the idea that some people like less expensive equipment as much or more than their big ticket items. Like we're going to go to their homes and replace their amps with Emotiva amps. Frankly it's odd that they even read these threads. They don't own Emotiva and don't want to own Emotiva. Why are they even here? There isn't an audio product in the world that would drive me to attack it, repeatedly, on a messageboard. In fact the more I think about it the more genuinely odd I find it.

Sounds like fear to me.. If Emotiva isn't apart of there world as in there house or there friends house.. then why care so much to go out of your way to **** on a brand so much.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    And to most of us, Mcintosh builds some of the classiest gear around. To me Emo is painfully ugly, kind of like looking at Phyllis Diller naked.
    And with that note, I am going to need years of therapy getting the picture of Phyllis Diller naked out of my head. Noshinjohn, the bill is in the mail for that one!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    Imagine if 5 or 6 of the same people squatted on every Dared thread, or every NAD thread, and chirped on incessantly about how inferior those products were to others. It's just bizarre. They're so threatened by the idea that some people like less expensive equipment as much or more than their big ticket items. Like we're going to go to their homes and replace their amps with Emotiva amps. Frankly it's odd that they even read these threads. They don't own Emotiva and don't want to own Emotiva. Why are they even here? There isn't an audio product in the world that would drive me to attack it, repeatedly, on a messageboard. In fact the more I think about it the more genuinely odd I find it.
    I own Emotiva Gear, I also own Polk Gear, W4S, Adcom, Jolida, Dared, ect, ect. And I find the fanboyism of Emotiva odd. I am a Polk fan, and I don't get all defensive when someone knocks their product, "why"? because I don't care, and also I don't like everything Polk has put out. they have their fair share of what I wouldn't own. I find some Dared products to be overrated, does it suck? no, but it has it's place, and they can be fun. Emotiva has it's place but they are not a game changer..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I personally have no issues with Emotiva. I just get tired of their gear constantly being represented as the holy grail of audio. "Why spend more? you've already got Emotiva!"

I'm tired of ignorance.
    Yep, hammer...nail...head.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Also Emotiva is far...far from the first company to do this. Far...far from it. Perhaps some should learn a little about audio history before singing the praises of Emotiva being the holy grail, poor man's affordable, game changer. Not even close, really, being the first on the block to do this. Some companies are still with us and some aren't. Some became legends and some fell into oblivion. It's funny as I have talked to some casual audio guys and some just starting out. Not one has ever heard of Emotiva.

Soild, well priced gear for entry level audio enthusiasts to START with after they finally realize an AVR receiver is no longer the holy grail it once was.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 05-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    Dared and NAD threads don't illicit the type of rabid responses on BOTH sides of the fence because owners of those particular brands don't use their threads as sounding boards for how their equipment is the best thing to come along and destroy the "big boys". Emotiva threads tend to start off with posts that sound like "See...I told you how great Emo is but you wouldn't believe me."

I am not defending either side as I have owned several Emotiva amps. I no longer do and there is a good reason that I don't. But the reasons are my own and are opinion driven.

And Heiney is right. There are MANY companies doing direct to the consumer internet sales. One HUGE name that comes to mind is Bose. The business model is nothing new or special at all.
    Emo also isn't bringing any kind of game changing technology to the playing field.
    Granted, they bring less expensive versions of those technologies but just because something costs less, doesn't mean it is necessarily better.

The reason that Emo threads get so...well emo is because of the "HAHAHAHA YOU'RE A SUCKER FOR BUYING INTO THE $XXXXX AMP SELLERS WHEN MY EMO COST $XXX AND SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER!!" type of rhetoric that Emo fonboys spew.
    I have listened to my former UPA-5 and UPA-2 back to back with products from Audio Research, Krell, Pass Labs, McIntosh, etc and while they sounded fine, they definitely weren't in the same league of sound quality. That is where a lot of the "They are fine for HT but not for 2 channel" comments come from.
    It also provided a great example of synergy for me. Pairing my UPA-2 with a pair of Klipsch KG 3.2s showed me that the borderline too bright Klipsch horn tweeters could be made to sound harsh. It was not a good combination. But it sounded fine with a pair of ProAc Tablette Anniversaries I was demoing. Not great but there definitely wasn't the harshness there that was there with the Klipschs.

Anyway, that's the biggest reason these Emo threads garner so much hate. It is because the Emo fans tend to be far more openly rabid and tauntingly so than most other when it comes to defending their gear.

(Larry's post sums it up nicely)
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    I own Emotiva Gear, I also own Polk Gear, W4S, Adcom, Jolida, Dared, ect, ect. And I find the fanboyism of Emotiva odd. I am a Polk fan, and I don't get all defensive when someone knocks their product, "why"? because I don't care, and also I don't like everything Polk has put out. they have their fair share of what I wouldn't own. I find some Dared products to be overrated, does it suck? no, but it has it's place, and they can be fun. Emotiva has it's place but they are not a game changer..
    I don't think anyone squats threads on other companies here like they do Emotiva, solely for the purpose to attack it. Perhaps Bose? It's very, very strange. I own plenty of pieces of gear, too. Some relatively inexpensive, some more expensive. I end up with the pieces that work best for me in my situation. I feel no impulse to tell heiney that his equipment is ok for what it is. But for some reason he feels he needs to qualify mine. He has no idea, whatsoever, how my Emotiva amp sounds to me or anyone else. Yet he feels very proud to tell everyone just where the entire line of Emotiva amps stacks up ... to them. How bizarre. I'm sure he thinks his vintage polks are the best speakers for him. That's fine. I don't stick my chest out and add a qualifier to every reference of them he makes - you know, there's something better than those, right? - ad infinitum. Why would I give it a second thought? He likes them. That's great. Enjoy. I don't squat every thread he writes about some tube he found from 1938, so that I can tell him I think he's wasting his time and money. Enjoy it, I think to myself. And I move on to some other thread ... where, surprise, once again I don't chime in to tell someone what they're hearing and what they should hear. That's not within my purview. I have no idea what they're hearing. It's the only decent conclusion, once hubris is taken out of the decision making process. And I realize heiney knows a great deal from his many audio travels and travails. But perhaps he should allow Emotiva owners the opportunity to enjoy their products in peace. We don't need to be told that he doesn't think they sound good to our ears. It's absurd.

to quote H9
    "Soild, well priced gear for entry level audio enthusiasts to START with "after they finally realize an AVR receiver is no longer the holy grail it once was.

Just like your Dared some would say, lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    The reason that Emo threads get so...well emo is because of the "HAHAHAHA YOU'RE A SUCKER FOR BUYING INTO THE $XXXXX AMP SELLERS WHEN MY EMO COST $XXX AND SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER!!" type of rhetoric that Emo fonboys spew.
    See, people say that... but pretty much every thread I've seen get shut down over this didn't have ANY of that attitude from the people who are happy with their Emotiva gear. The attacks seem to come in advance, as if the anti-Emo people just expect that to be the inevitable result, so we can never have a civil thread where this one particular brand is concerned. I really don't see people evangelize Emotiva here much. I do, however, see people have to endure the same nonsense from people who don't seem happy unless they're keeping Emotiva owners in check somehow.

I've said it before... The anti-Emotiva attitude here is what steered me away from them and toward used amps. That didn't work out well for me, and when I ultimately caved and bought an Emo XPA-3, I was happier with the sound it gave me than I was with the Parasound or Adcom I had before. That's not me putting Emotiva on a pedestal or downing those other brands... Just giving my personal experience with my particular gear. I think most Emotiva owners here tend to have a pretty realistic attitude about their gear. And by that, I mean they don't particularly need the same group of people downing them every time they discuss it here.

Seriously... We get it already. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I think you are in denial if you think Emotiva is not changing the game..
    I'm sure your colleague's will agree, if for no other reason of bringing quality Amps to the Masses cheaper than ever before..
    And people wonder why Emo gets the rep it does. As other state "no one says Emo is the holy grail" yet I guess they are the only ones to ever do this type of product.

A few names come to my mind, Outlaw, Wyred, Exposure, etc all have very low cost some even built in the USA products. Exposure is a great little company, made in the UK and performs well. Also the prices are great. They must be revolutionary in their approach no?

Or how about ATI? American made, and used as an OEM product by others, yet I don't see the whole industry changing because of them. Interesting how just this one company is going to be the best of them all.

Just because a company takes over another doesn't mean squat to me. There is things that happen behind the curtains of business to get money, doesn't mean they have the cash on hand. Heard of a HLT? I'm sure you probably haven't, yet doesn't mean that a bank won't give someone money to aquire someone, just have to make a proposal and hope it is accepted. Different forms of risk, relationship, etc etc.

Also many audio brands have been bought, I can think of several that have been the last couple years.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post

2. umm John Curl is also an industry Icon
    I never said he wasn't. Read what I posted again.
    So hot it burns twice

This thread needs to lighten up a bit, so I took this pic
    Attached Images  

What is that?,Chessy might want one for his Coconut site..

Looks like someone stuck a IC in a banana post?
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

Thread Information