Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help for a newbie please.... vintage polk monitor 10's?

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and new to the world of vintage audio. I'm in my 20's and have recently discovered vinyl. So far I'm having a blast. I'm not sure what I purchased the other day... but I stumbled across these at a garage sale in a very nice neighborhood and decided to pick them up. (they were still in the garage... I had to ask about them... lol) I paid $120 for them... so please don't laugh too hard if I overpaid. They look beautiful. What do I have exactly? and do I need to upgrade anything? They sound good, but what little reading I've been able to find there are better tweeters for them in some models that weren't in others? I guess I'm still training my ears to what sounds good, they sound pretty nice, but I want to make sure I'm not missing out in their potential due to the need for upgraded crossovers or something?
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG‎
Views:	77
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	86109   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG‎
Views:	83
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	86108   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG‎
Views:	92
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	86107   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG‎
Views:	76
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	86106   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG‎
Views:	73
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	86105  

Welcome!
    Look like Monitor 10B.
    Did you buy them with stands?
    That's a very good price with stands.

Almost all here suggest crossover upgrade (capacitors/resistors) for sure and that'll bring their original sound back or even better so definitely do that if you plan on keeping them.

Many here also will suggest tweeter upgrade to newer RDO194 but I like the silver SL2000 as it is so no hurry.

Schematics here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ELS-except-SDA

Search forum for crossover upgrade threads on monitor 10b.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Welcome! Very nice find you did fine.
    Mystery is right the crossovers being quite old as you know need new caps
    and the newer tweeters will also improve the sound.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ssover-upgrade

Welcome to CP, Vinyl.

Vintage Monitor 10s are great speakers. They do look like Monitor 10Bs (as Mystery said) as the early Monitor 10s and 10As had the Peerless tweeter. Although the Monitor 10 or Monitor 10As with the Peerless tweeter is the more desirable version of Monitor 10s, the 10Bs are excellent speakers as well and $120 is a very good price for Monitor 10Bs. If you also got the stands, it is an even better deal. I have a pair of Monitor 10As and have been looking, without luck, for original stands for some time. You did very well. Enjoy them. They are great-sounding speakers. I love my Monitor 10s. They sound great with all kinds of music. Congratulations and, once again, welcome aboard the Club Polk audio train!

Default Stands?

I did not get stands... I currently have them on some other stands that I used to use for old technics speakers that I inherited. Was there an optimal height for these things? I could weld some stands pretty easily if I needed to increase height.

I think my stands are a little too low... may try to weld some stands for my stands. ha. Anyway, they look beautiful, and glad to know I didn't get screwed. Now.. can any of you recommend an audio shop in san antonio that can do the upgrades? Or is it something I can do myself. I don't want to mess them up.. but am pretty decent with a soldering iron.

Thanks so much for the replies.

As far as keeping them... I had planned on it unless you guys could recommend something better for vinyl... I'm attaching pics of my current set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stands.JPG‎
Views:	75
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	86112   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.JPG‎
Views:	88
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	86113   Click image for larger version

Name:	project.JPG‎
Views:	74
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	86114  

Make sure that they are 10B's. You can do this. If you weld this is a cakewalk for you.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Monitor...p2047675.l2557

Nice Marantz 1060. That was my second amp, the first being a 1030. I'm sure it drives the Monitor 10's nicely.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by VinylIsCool View Post
    I did not get stands... I currently have them on some other stands that I used to use for old technics speakers that I inherited. Was there an optimal height for these things? I could weld some stands pretty easily if I needed to increase height.

I think my stands are a little too low... may try to weld some stands for my stands. ha. Anyway, they look beautiful, and glad to know I didn't get screwed. Now.. can any of you recommend an audio shop in san antonio that can do the upgrades? Or is it something I can do myself. I don't want to mess them up.. but am pretty decent with a soldering iron.

Thanks so much for the replies.

As far as keeping them... I had planned on it unless you guys could recommend something better for vinyl... I'm attaching pics of my current set up.

I know almost nothing about the Monitor 10's but am a huge Marantz fan. I have a pretty good bit but have not been lucky enough to run up on a 1060 that is worth the asking price. That is a pretty set you have there. Awesome with Vinyl. All of my marantz gear sounds great on any of my vintage Polks from the recievers to the integrateds to the pre/ amp combos. Enjoy.

For a guy in his 20's just starting out, that is a hell of a nice setup you have.

I'd recommend researching the threads for mods to the crossovers and then you need to find a local 12 step program in your area. Get a sponsor that likes apple earbuds and Bose speakers. Have him keep your wallet for the 1st year or you'll be penny less after this group gets done with you.

Good luck!

Welcome to club polk. I agree quite the nice vintage set up for a guy your age, good to see you like spinning vinyl as do a lot of us here. Interested to know if you get those SDA'S those along with your monitor 10s will be sweet quite the vintage buff you are already. Enjoy and hang around.

The only thing I can add is: don't worry about stands. I have my 10B's sitting on "tip toes" (on carpet) and they sound great. I did the tweeter replacement and crossover upgrade just recently (after 25+ years of ownership); there's no rush.
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

WELCOME ALSO. I have mine on floor also. I would like to raise them up to bring them ear level with the tweets. But for now they are on floor & sound fantastic.. In time id love to upgrade but it doesnt fit in my wallet right now..ive seen stock stands for 30-50 bucks but werent local to me. Keep your eyes open. If your crafty make some will work. They are quite the speaker. Enjoy....Randy
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Member Sales Rating: (13)

First thing, replace those awful SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194-1. Call Polk to order and tell them you are a Club Polk member for a discount. Since you can solder, the crossover upgrades should be a breeze.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Welcome to Club Polk!

Nice find. And Marantz is a good choice. I find that Polk Monitor series and Marantz have a certain synergy that is hard to come by. They sound great together. My 10s have the Peerless tweeters so I didn't bother with the upgrade there, but in your case, you might want to think about it.

Enjoy!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Very nice gear, you did good on the speakers. Enjoy the music and welcome to Club Polk!

Welcome to Club Polk. Very nice find, and a great pair to start off with. There are numerous upgrades, that will make your 10s sing. The stands you have look fine, and very similar to the original stands.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome aboard! Also getting them off the floor and onto stands DOES make a world of difference and is highly recommended.
    --Gary--

I have mine on floor. When i do listen to them it is very clear to me they need to be risen up about 12-16 inches off floor. Im not sure what the specs are for the original stands are"but to bring them up i know they will hit the sweet spot in listening....
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Found this with a quick search: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ght=polkstands

Also this - see post #17 for a nice pic of the original stands: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...or-10-opinions

Pretty simple to make if you or a friend have basic wood working skills.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Nice find. I bought my 10's new with stands in the late 80's. 88 or 89 and I lost the stands in a flood but the speakers survived! YAY! They also survived 4.5 years of college too. The stands I see on here are not like mine at all. Mine were all black and about a foot high. I hated throwing them out but the base was gone and the supports were half gone. :( Good to see some of the youth enjoying the finer things in life. I recently bought a set of SDA 3.1tl's and am enjoying them. I now use my 10's as the main speaker in my video surround set up.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    First thing, replace those awful SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194-1. Call Polk to order and tell them you are a Club Polk member for a discount. Since you can solder, the crossover upgrades should be a breeze.
    Not so fast there...first, consider whether you would want to do the "regular" mods/upgrades or the "TL" mods/upgrades to your Monitor 10 crossovers. With the regular mods, the RD0194-1 is the right tweeter and with the TL mods, the RD0198-1 (preferred by many, including you - I think - F1nut) tweeter is the one you would need. For the TL mods for the Monitor 10s, refer to the thread(s) by westmassguy. However, going with the 198's and the TL mods dictates that you must do them at the same time since the 198's are not compatible with pre-modded crossovers in the way that the 194's are.

And to the OP - good find! I've got some very minty Monitor 10Bs that I bought new back in '89 and they remain to be, IMHO, some of the sweetest sounding speakers ever. I don't see myself ever parting with them.

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Last edited by teekay0007; 06-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Thread Information